Droid RAZR MAXX Heating problems

auroros

Reaction score
I had my droid razr maxx for six days on the night of the sixth day i plugged it in like normal. When i woke up the phone had heated up to the point the back plastic on the phone bubbled and the phone wont turn on why would motorola sell you something with such a heating problem or is it a factory error either way im going into the place i bought this phone monday and they better have good news for me.... i was wonder if anyone else had issues with over heating on there razr maxx

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Will it power on now?? The back isn't plastic, its Kevlar. The battery expanded. You must have a runaway app or something.

If the battery has done that, my vote is to take it back to vzw, get another one. Do it before 14 days or they will give you a refurb.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

laurenjones93

Reaction score
My supervisor had his first razr and the back was so hot at one point in time it would burn you. He sent it back to be.replaced. new one works.fine.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah there's been a few instances of that. Something I hope they've addressed in the new devices they'll be releasing throughout the year.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Will it power on now?? The back isn't plastic, its Kevlar. The battery expanded. You must have a runaway app or something.

If the battery has done that, my vote is to take it back to vzw, get another one. Do it before 14 days or they will give you a refurb.

I wonder if the "bubbling" wasn't the protective later over the Kevlar that many think is the actual Kevlar. Often people don't remove that and then when they see it bubbling or peeling they think the Kevlar is peeling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I wonder if the "bubbling" wasn't the protective later over the Kevlar that many think is the actual Kevlar. Often people don't remove that and then when they see it bubbling or peeling they think the Kevlar is peeling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Wait... I didn't realize that there is a protective layer over the kevlar, but my kevlar feels "plasticy" and has a few little blisters and runs in it...so is that a plastic layer that I can peel off?

There were two white stickers with serial numbers, made in china, etc... but I didn't realize there was a plastic layer. Could you confirm this?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes, there is a layer of clear plastic over the back of the Kevlar, and it does have the two white stickers stuck to it.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Yes, there is a layer of clear plastic over the back of the Kevlar, and it does have the two white stickers stuck to it.

Thank you! I got it off...that's nice. I was wondering why people were so into the kevlar when it just felt like plastic to me.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thank you! I got it off...that's nice. I was wondering why people were so into the kevlar when it just felt like plastic to me.

:icon_ rofl: Yeah, so what's the big deal with this Kevlar stuff anyway...feels just like Saran Wrap to me!! :blink:

viceaddict6

Reaction score
Pass The Marshmallows...

I also plugged my cell in then went to bed. I woke up to the alarm going off, my battery in the red and the phone was very hot to touch. I thought maybe it had somehow become disconnected but my husband's phone was fine so I realized that couldn't be it. I unplugged the phone and went to another outlet and it still wouldn't recognize the charger. I power cycled the phone twice to no avail. Finally since it was dying anyway I just left it off and walked away. Came back 30 minutes later and it was cool to the touch. Plugged it in again and this time it started charging right up. I'm thinking that having the phone get all heated up like that can't be good for the battery or all the electrical components in the phone. What's the problem and why hasn't Motorola addressed it/fixed it yet?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That sounds bad.. but it was the processor running away. An app or something probably hung up and had the device using.more power than it was receiving through the charger.. its these omap processors.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You may consider charging while powered off. This actually is very good for the device and battery, no parasitic effects on the battery.

A word of caution also, try not to kill this battery because if you do and don't charge the devuce soon enough, it will slip into a fail safe and will not charge.

Then you'll have a 600$ paper weight.