Droid Razr Max from Verizon running slow

winegen

Reaction score
After almost 2 years my Droid X is slowing down. The response on the tabs or buttons is very slow but then other times it seems ok. Even though it says 4G and has 2 bars it has trouble trying to connect on FB or on a search in google. I'm getting frustrated with the phone and verizon. I took it to them they made some minor changes but it didn't help. I see AT&T and an Iphone in my future. Help.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
The Droid x is a 3g phone.. Am I missing something? This phone does not connect to 4g LTE (are we talking about the Motorola Droid x?) If your seeing 4g this might be a different phone....

Matt

Sent from my ROOTED HTC droid DNA using cyanogenMod 10.2

OP
W

winegen

Reaction score
Wrong phone It's the Droid Razr Max

I looked at the wrong box. It's a Motorola Droid Razr Max from Verizon. But same issues.
The Droid x is a 3g phone.. Am I missing something? This phone does not connect to 4g LTE (are we talking about the Motorola Droid x?) If your seeing 4g this might be a different phone....

Matt

Sent from my ROOTED HTC droid DNA using cyanogenMod 10.2

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I've noticed the same thing with my Droid Maxx, just within the last month or so. I'm not sure what may be causing it. I've looked at what is running and what is using the battery and haven't seen anything wonky. I've uninstalled some apps that I recently downloaded that I thought may be making it slow, but that hasn't seemed to do anything. I was thinking of doing a factory reset, but goodness that's a pain in the tuchas. It's just driving me nuts because I haven't had hardly any problems with my Maxx and have practically waxed poetic about it.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i firmly believe your phone is like your pc, it needs a clean flash (not factory reset) from time to time, to keep it running in tip top form.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
What is a clean flash if its not a factory reset?
use google to find matts utility that matches your phone and version, thats the easiest way.
you just download the utility, plug your phone into pc, put the phone in fastboot, run the utility. its that simple. it will totally re-write your phone software back to factory.
factory resetting just cleans data, it doesnt fix any software glitches that might have occurred along the way, the utility does fix everything like new.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
use google to find matts utility that matches your phone and version, thats the easiest way.
you just download the utility, plug your phone into pc, put the phone in fastboot, run the utility. its that simple. it will totally re-write your phone software back to factory.
factory resetting just cleans data, it doesnt fix any software glitches that might have occurred along the way, the utility does fix everything like new.

I'm definitely aware of flashing the phone back to stock. I didn't know that's what you were referring to. With flashing back to stock, you have to factory reset anyway, right? In my opinion, a data wipe/factory reset in recovery is all that's necessary for completely stock, never rooted phones. I have had no reason to flash to stock with my Moto X (it's completely stock, never rooted), and before that my Galaxy Nexus had the factory images that were released by Google (obviously I tinkered with my GNex). It hasn't been since I had my Droid X, Droid 2, and Droid Pro that I have needed to flash back to stock using the type of method you are referring to. I always preferred to just use Linux and flash the images myself through terminal. I think they were .sbf files at the time.

Rhino94

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing with my Droid Maxx, just within the last month or so. I'm not sure what may be causing it. I've looked at what is running and what is using the battery and haven't seen anything wonky. I've uninstalled some apps that I recently downloaded that I thought may be making it slow, but that hasn't seemed to do anything. I was thinking of doing a factory reset, but goodness that's a pain in the tuchas. It's just driving me nuts because I haven't had hardly any problems with my Maxx and have practically waxed poetic about it.

I have had the same problem but I think it has been a little longer than a month. I hav tried everything. Switching launchers, factory reset, refurbished phone still have weird battery drains, the phone getting very hot, and slower than normal processes.

doniago

Reaction score
FDR has tended to fix my phone issues, and if you're rooted and have Titanium Backup up and running it's relatively quick and painless.

HankB

Reaction score
Same here - mostly loading web pages. I suppose the web pages are getting bigger and maybe that's part of the problem. I seemed to be having other problems like loss of outbound voice (fixed with a reboot) and wonky GPS behavior at times (putting me a half mile or so from my actual location, not fixed with a reboot or clearing the GPS data but eventually got better.) There was occasional loss of data connection and reboots while navigating with Google maps. First I tried a factory data reset (PITA since I had not rooted.) When that did not help, I warrantied the phone and got a refurbed RAZR MAXX since I've been paying for insurance. Haven't had any serious problems (like reboots of loss of voice or data connection) since. Web pages still load slowly.

One thing I've wondered about since day one is the speed of loading web pages. At best, it's glacial compared to my PC. Is this the data speed or (more likely) the processing required to render? I wonder if RAM factors in as well. If the browser needs more RAM to render a page I suppose Android may need to reclaim some in use by other processes and that takes additional processing to wind down the other processes.

HockeyMom19

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G2
On another forum, someone suggested going into the Settings > Developer Options and setting the Background process limit to 3. I did a factory reset on Sunday, and saw some improvement, but not much, so yesterday I set the process limit to 3. The phone is much less laggy. Hopefully it lasts. I've read that this might cause other problems with my phone. We'll see. It was so laggy, it almost wasn't usable!

EvoX777

Reaction score
My RAZR Maxx (VZN) had been lagging like crazy for a couple of months now with quite a few occurances of Nova Launcher becoming non-responsive. I reverted back to the stock Home Screen and even though lag & Home screen errors improved, it was still happening. Yesterday I uninstalled all of the Facebook updates (reverted it back to the factory installed version) and havent had a bit of lag or crash since, except when I use the FB messenger app. Its a bit less convenient & functional to use Facebook via the browser, but I'm more interested in not wanting to hurl my phone 27 times a day when its not responsive