Droid RAZR M Screen / Display is Cracked, Where to get replacement?

cityroamer

Reaction score
My girlfriend's Razr M took an unfortunate tumble onto the ground and the screen surprisingly broke. It was the first time she dropped it. She must've hit it in just the right spot. (See photo). The phone is still completely functional and she would rather not use her insurance yet because she fears they will give her a refurbished model as a replacement.

I've had to do many Droid repairs before, so I have all the toools and the experience to take the phone apart. I also saw DirectFix's video on how to disassemble the M and it doesn't look too bad, as long as I can find a replacement display. Optimally, it would be good to get a new display attached to new front casing so I don't have to take the display off and then reapply the new one to the existing casing.

I looked on ebay and Google, but it doesn't seem like the phone has been out long enough to have the demand for replacement displays and casings. I couldn't find anywhere that sold them. Has anyone seen them anywhere? If you have, could you post a link where you found it? THANKS!

IMG950649.jpg

OP
C

cityroamer

Reaction score
I found it here, Motorola Droid Razr M 4G LTE XT907 Glass Lens
It's out of stock right now, hopefully they will carry it soon. Best of luck

Thanks for the link! Everywhere I've seen the screens they have been going for $200, but those may include the entire front casing so all you'd have to do is snap the front casing back onto the phone.

Not sure how easy it is to remove the cracked screen from the casing and paste the new screen on there. Is it doable?

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Tough pill there, considering the phone was $49 with renewal. Ouch. Best of luck. Sorry for the misfortune.

tommytmt

Reaction score
Ok guys, I hate to break the bad news to you, but I think have fixed many phones in my day and unfortunately that "glass lens" is meant for sale to manufacturers (like Samsung or whomever else makes the razr m's screen). The front "lens", or the digitizer touch display as its actually called, is fused together with both the led display and aluminum bezel in the factory. If you try to take them apart you'll find a certain clear oily liquid in between the digitizer glass and led display, kind of like mineral oil. You'll never be able to put the two together properly but moreover, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to get the old cracked digitizer and led display without doing further damage. Sorry but if you follow the link and order, you'll be wasting $20. Just thought I'd give you a friendly warning.

OP
C

cityroamer

Reaction score
Ok guys, I hate to break the bad news to you, but I think have fixed many phones in my day and unfortunately that "glass lens" is meant for sale to manufacturers (like Samsung or whomever else makes the razr m's screen). The front "lens", or the digitizer touch display as its actually called, is fused together with both the led display and aluminum bezel in the factory. If you try to take them apart you'll find a certain clear oily liquid in between the digitizer glass and led display, kind of like mineral oil. You'll never be able to put the two together properly but moreover, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to get the old cracked digitizer and led display without doing further damage. Sorry but if you follow the link and order, you'll be wasting $20. Just thought I'd give you a friendly warning.

That's what I was afraid of...! That's why I was hoping to find the entire front panel replacement that includes the touch display, lens, and front casing all as one piece that easily connects and snaps back into the phone. But those cost between $200-300 depending on where you look, and they are usually sold out.

She ended up using her insurance and paid the $100 deductable. Will try to recover some of the costs by selling the cracked phone for parts or for someone who thinks they can fix it. Maybe in the future once the phone model isn't so new, the prices for replacement displays will go down.

Thanks!

droidway

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Everywhere I've seen the screens they have been going for $200, but those may include the entire front casing so all you'd have to do is snap the front casing back onto the phone.

Not sure how easy it is to remove the cracked screen from the casing and paste the new screen on there. Is it doable?
It's not easy just remove the glass lens on the screen since it's difficult to separate them. You'd better ask an expert. Hope this can help you. Good luck!

xmguy

Reaction score
Hell I'd pay the insurance fee and move on. Its better paying $100 than $200 for a digitizer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums

addphone

Reaction score

You'd better replace the whole screen, namely the LCD screen and digitizer assemly, which you can also find on the website that War88 refered. It will be much easier for you to replace.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Buy a water damaged phone with an intact display. I have used this method a few times. My "new" RAZR M is actually a water damaged salvage and it works flawlessly.