Droid Razr locking up? (black screen lock up)

Jbum123

Reaction score
I am hoping someone here can help me.
I have a almost 18 month old Razr (XT912) running 4.1.2.
Lately, for no apparent reason while the phone is in standby, it locks up/crashes.
Pressing the power button will not turn it on.
Power+Vol Dwn gets me back up and running.
I have tried everything I can think of to rectify the problem including a factory reset.
I wiped the cache and even turned off data to see if it was the cause.

If I have a notification when it crashes, the green light will continue to flash while it is in this "crashed" state but no further notifications or calls will come through.

I though it could be viri related but I had AVG running prior to the reset and did a scan with a newly installed version of lookout and scanned and it came up clean.

And of course, as I type this, it crashed again but this time, I was unable to get it to turn back on via the Pwr and Vol Dwn keys. I tried a few times and it wouldn't. I let it sit for a minute and it started to boot by itself but is now stuck on the electric eye thingy and has been for the last 5 minutes.

Do I have a newly possessed phone?

Going to let it sit here for awhile and see if it rights itself.

Thanks!

OP
J

Jbum123

Reaction score
Let it sit for 20 minutes and it never finished booting.
reset it and it is now back on.
After it booted, I revived a text and the phone locked up.
The screen was still on this time but is unresponsive to any type of input.

HELP!
Thanks!

Last edited:

avenged61973

Reaction score
Let it sit for 20 minutes and it never finished booting.
reset it and it is now back on.
After it booted, I revived a text and the phone locked up.
The screen was still on this time but is unresponsive to any type of input.

HELP!
Thanks!

I would backup all of the important things on your phone, download the droid razr utility for jelly bean to your p.c., and reinstall jelly bean and do a factory data reset via the utility. You can find a thread for the utility under droid razr hacks in this forum. It should have the links for the download.

Another thing that might be causing issues is an app you downloaded recently.

Personally I would backup my data and redownload using the utility.
Any questions dont be afraid to ask

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

OP
J

Jbum123

Reaction score
I did as suggested and reloaded my phone.
All was good for about a week then it started locking up again.
I am thinking it is battery related as if it gets low, I can count on it locking up.

Last night, it ran completely dead.
Charged it all night but still wouldn't turn on.
Opened the phone up, connected a charger straight to the battery but still no luck.

Built the "factory cable" and was able to get it to boot until the animation starts and then it shut off.
Now it does nothing.

I had it back on the charger for awhile and it was blinking white then solid.
Left it that way for awhile then unpluged and replugged and the LED stayed off.

Randomly would get the white LED when connecting it to my laptop.

Currently I can't get the phone to do anything at all. No charger, no factory cable, nothing.

My wife has a Razr as well so I could always pull her battery but I would rather not as her phone is still in great condition.

Thanks!

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Try removing the micro SD storage card. I have had problems with corrupt/failing storage cards in the past similar to what you are experiencing.

You may also want to consider any apps that were recently installed or updated as the source of your problems and uninstall them.

David

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Get that anti virus app off of there..these apps literally take over and change how the device functions..I use them, but I download, scan and delete...for the same reason I just explained to you.

Now .. removing the SD card is a good idea..I didn't see if you were restoring any of your apps after the factory reset..but this trick worked for me..

Sounds unnecessary, but humor me..go into your settings, make sure back up and restore is NOT marked...

Now try doing 2 factory data resets. One after the other....I know it flashes the same image...but this helped one of my phones go from a boat anchor, to working at speed...

Good luck...

OP
J

Jbum123

Reaction score
I am giving up.
Got an RMA from Motorola today.

I tried the factory cable fix again to see if I could get the phone to do anything and this time it gave me a "customerid error.contact dealer boot to suspend/tcmd mode.dead.0002" error.

I take that as it's toast.

After unplugging and replugging, the only thing I can get now is my laptop finding the phone as a A omap4430.

I loved this phone until now.
Hopefully Motorola can fix it even after I opened it up and disconnected the battery. (it's out of warranty)

Thanks everyone.

Mdeva

Reaction score
You might try an iPhone. While Google would very much like also to turn them into paperweights, they haven't figured out how yet - unlike EVERY Android! I'm on my 9th (under the same contract); 4 HTCs, 4 Samsungs and now this Razr. It took GOOG almost 4 months to destroy the Moto, but rolling Jelly Bean out did it. They have brilliant, unrelenting technicians working to destroy every Android.

Oh, I wish I had my Brackberry Curve - at least IT didn't claim to be functional.

Albedineity

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Razr Maxx HD
How To Reset Frozen or Unresponsive DROID RAZR Keep Calm and Factory Data Reset 8230

i just tried that and it really helped me alot.
I would suggest making sure that your phone is charged as well while doing this.
I just started having my black screen problems today and it already helped me.
I would suggest turning off your phone and back on everyday.
It will be noticably faster if you have any slowing down when you open up apps and such.