Droid razr cracked screen

Rzrback

Reaction score
I bought my phone the first day it came out. I have always taken care of my phone and I have never had a cracked screen. I got up off the couch in which my phone fell into my carpet and the screen cracked. I called Verizon who told me to call Motorola which I did and they will not stand behind their product since it had physical damage. My phone had already been getting extremely hot while charging and using it. I talked to everyone they allowed me to for them to tell nee to fax or email next person up. I've been a loyal Motorola customer owning the Droid x the Xoom etc. They want me to use my insurance which don't have a problem but just afraid the replacement will be as flimsy. I know the glass isn't unbreakable but shouldn't have cracked, and now its just spider webbing. Any ideas or solutions would be great thanx. Sorry for such a long thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I bought my phone the first day it came out. I have always taken care of my phone and I have never had a cracked screen. I got up off the couch in which my phone fell into my carpet and the screen cracked. I called Verizon who told me to call Motorola which I did and they will not stand behind their product since it had physical damage. My phone had already been getting extremely hot while charging and using it. I talked to everyone they allowed me to for them to tell nee to fax or email next person up. I've been a loyal Motorola customer owning the Droid x the Xoom etc. They want me to use my insurance which don't have a problem but just afraid the replacement will be as flimsy. I know the glass isn't unbreakable but shouldn't have cracked, and now its just spider webbing. Any ideas or solutions would be great thanx. Sorry for such a long thread.

Terribly unfortunate for you. Any answer other than "we'll send you a new one for no cost" will be painful, but a broken screen is not considered a defect until which time either the manufacturer determines there was a defective manufacturing process, or until a class-action suit is brought against a manufacturer and as part of the settlement the manufacturer either agrees to or is ordered by the court to resolve the defect. You have heard of "recalls". This would be the likely scenario to resolve this problem, if it's widespread and in excess of the norm.

As for the new phone being likely to crack as well, I have a thoery that goes like this. The extremely thin phone becomes more subject to flex on many angles and several axis, but in an attempt to alleviate that, the manufacturer decided to create a "lamination" effect by fusing the individual layers together into one quasi-unit - not too unlike Plywood. This is done with double-sided adhesive between selected layers. Then there was a Stainless Steel "frame" or backbone (a rectangular box) which runs the circumfrence of the phone internally and was intended to further "stiffen" the phone. Still unfortunately the multiple efforts to strengthen the phone and reduce flex may not have been enough to offset the ultra-thin glass on both the digitizer and the actual display which is fused to the digitizer, so in some cases one will crack but not the other. It also seems that in many cases even large falls from great height (top of a ladder) have little ill effect whereas unfortunately even small falls like yours, or dropping something on it (a bracelet from 6") results in cracked glass. I think this ill effect from relatively minor bumps is due to the glass already being "stressed" by possibly the lamination and/or the bezel (metal surround) placing undue pressures on the two glass components.

So the short answer (yeah, I'm long-winded), is that you may have no problems with your new phone, or you may have another unfortunate event similar to this. What I would suggest is to add an Otterbox (either the Commuter or the full case), and you may reduce or eliminate the causes of future damage.

ddfuji

Reaction score
do you use a case? i drop my phone all the time and i have some 10 dollar case. i check my screen all the time though cause of stories like these :D

OP
R

Rzrback

Reaction score
No didn't have a case on it at this time. I really just didn't think this phone would be that fragile. But for future references I will get a case. Bit for another question does anyone else phone get so hot while charging and using?

Reaction score
My phone does not even get warm let alone hot. I have heard people say their does but I have no idea why.

Also, it is odd how one phone can seem fragile while another is a brick.. the good kind. I have dropped my RAZR on more than one occasion and onto concrete without even a scratch. Just the other day, it fell into the pavement gave down and slid and I feared the worst based on others misfortune and I was happy to see that there was not a single mark on the phone. Maybe I am just lucky.

Last edited:

ddfuji

Reaction score
No didn't have a case on it at this time. I really just didn't think this phone would be that fragile. But for future references I will get a case. Bit for another question does anyone else phone get so hot while charging and using?

i know my phone would be cracked and broken if i didnt have a case on it. its a really small simple case but it does save me from using my warranty and getting frustrated over a cracked screen. mine gets hot if the back is down and there is no air flow or air. but its more warm then it is hot. it gets hot if im using the phone and charging it at the same time

Greeny

Reaction score

My phone is in an Otterbox Defender case and never gets warm let alone hot when sitting around or when charging.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
Terribly unfortunate for you. Any answer other than "we'll send you a new one for no cost" will be painful, but a broken screen is not considered a defect until which time either the manufacturer determines there was a defective manufacturing process, or until a class-action suit is brought against a manufacturer and as part of the settlement the manufacturer either agrees to or is ordered by the court to resolve the defect. You have heard of "recalls". This would be the likely scenario to resolve this problem, if it's widespread and in excess of the norm.

As for the new phone being likely to crack as well, I have a thoery that goes like this. The extremely thin phone becomes more subject to flex on many angles and several axis, but in an attempt to alleviate that, the manufacturer decided to create a "lamination" effect by fusing the individual layers together into one quasi-unit - not too unlike Plywood. This is done with double-sided adhesive between selected layers. Then there was a Stainless Steel "frame" or backbone (a rectangular box) which runs the circumfrence of the phone internally and was intended to further "stiffen" the phone. Still unfortunately the multiple efforts to strengthen the phone and reduce flex may not have been enough to offset the ultra-thin glass on both the digitizer and the actual display which is fused to the digitizer, so in some cases one will crack but not the other. It also seems that in many cases even large falls from great height (top of a ladder) have little ill effect whereas unfortunately even small falls like yours, or dropping something on it (a bracelet from 6") results in cracked glass. I think this ill effect from relatively minor bumps is due to the glass already being "stressed" by possibly the lamination and/or the bezel (metal surround) placing undue pressures on the two glass components.

So the short answer (yeah, I'm long-winded), is that you may have no problems with your new phone, or you may have another unfortunate event similar to this. What I would suggest is to add an Otterbox (either the Commuter or the full case), and you may reduce or eliminate the causes of future damage.

i seriously think im getting smarter everytime i read one of your posts.

cant believe you dropped it on carpet and it broke. i had no idea it was that fragile.

as for the OP's phone, just give the the razr one more shot and try to get a case this time.

Reaction score
i seriously think im getting smarter everytime i read one of your posts.

cant believe you dropped it on carpet and it broke. i had no idea it was that fragile.

as for the OP's phone, just give the the razr one more shot and try to get a case this time.

I can't help but think it must have been a faulty phone to begin with. Breaking on carpet is hard to imagine since I have dropped mine on concrete several times with out so much as a mark. Just the other day I dropped it from shoulder height (I am 6 ft) and it was fine.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
i seriously think im getting smarter everytime i read one of your posts...

Hehe...don't blame me if you get smarter. That's not the intended purpose. I do this to make myself feel dumber!!

OP
R

Rzrback

Reaction score
I will give it another chance BC I think it was faulty too with it getting hot, and cracking so easy really love the phone but was disappointed. Thanx for ur comments

dlmalone81201

Reaction score
My phone does get hot charging and using it as for the screen I got a protector on it dropped it many times even got stuck in my recliner just put a dent on protector I think it might be a faulty screen you have.

sharpRAZR

Reaction score
Same thing has happened to me. My RAZR fell out of my lap when I was getting out of my car. It only fell about 18", but the screen cracked. Mine also gets warm from time to time...not always, but enough to be concerned about. I didn't purchase insurance because I thought "kevlar and Gorilla glass...pretty indestructible". Stupid me. I see a lot of post here about this happening with short falls, or for no apparent reason. Seems to me there is something going on to cause these screen to break so easily and Motorola should do something, but alas, they probably would never admit there's a problem. Sent it in for repair when they told me it was still under warranty, but they sent it back unrepaired because "there is physical damage". It seems I will have to pay for the repair!