Cracked my glass!!

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I have replaced through Verizon's warranty center and I received a refurbished model. Asurion seems to replace with "like new" models. $100 deductible unless stolen, with a valid police report.

Caesars

Reaction score
I know when I worked at sprint, asurion usually sent refurbs, but I doubt sprint and Verizon have the same agreements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Droid4G

Reaction score
I filed mine through Verizon's Asurion Insurance. Mine was packaged like it was a new phone - plastic cover on the screen and back, manuals/paperwork, USB cable and plug. Regardless if it's new or a refurb,
the replacement works great and I only had to pay $100; i prefer that over $599 :biggrin:

ddfuji

Reaction score
my replacement was a refurb. most of them are refurbs. why send good phones out to people only paying 90? they send there brand new phones to people paying full price.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I filed mine through Verizon's Asurion Insurance. Mine was packaged like it was a new phone - plastic cover on the screen and back, manuals/paperwork, USB cable and plug. Regardless if it's new or a refurb,
the replacement works great and I only had to pay $100; i prefer that over $599 :biggrin:

my replacement was a refurb. most of them are refurbs. why send good phones out to people only paying 90? they send there brand new phones to people paying full price.

ddfuji, I understand that reasoning, but when I buy auto insurance, and then I total my car (as did happen when I was broadsided and flipped), I don't expect the insurance company to go and get a "Like New Replacement" vehicle, I fully expect a showroom new vehicle, <10 miles on odometer (*and I did*).

As for the packaging, if it is a brand new phone, it will come in a Motorola branded and fully printed box inside a shipping box, and will come with all original accessories, including a new SD card and SIM. If it is a CLNR (Certified Like New Replacement), and you have the Verizon insurance it will come alone in a shipping box with a white cardboard folded insert, and the phone will be slipped under a plastic sleeve shield on that insert to keep it from flopping around during shipping. It will come bare, no accessories, but will appear brand new and will have all the same screen and back plastic protection tapes over it. I can't speak for how items replaced by Asurion will be packaged since I've never bought the insurance.

ddfuji

Reaction score
ddfuji, I understand that reasoning, but when I buy auto insurance, and then I total my car (as did happen when I was broadsided and flipped), I don't expect the insurance company to go and get a "Like New Replacement" vehicle, I fully expect a showroom new vehicle, <10 miles on odometer (*and I did*).

As for the packaging, if it is a brand new phone, it will come in a Motorola branded and fully printed box inside a shipping box, and will come with all original accessories, including a new SD card and SIM. If it is a CLNR (Certified Like New Replacement), and you have the Verizon insurance it will come alone in a shipping box with a white cardboard folded insert, and the phone will be slipped under a plastic sleeve shield on that insert to keep it from flopping around during shipping. It will come bare, no accessories, but will appear brand new and will have all the same screen and back plastic protection tapes over it. I can't speak for how items replaced by Asurion will be packaged since I've never bought the insurance.

what if there were a shortage of cars? you still expect a brand new floor model? if motorola/verizon/thrid party company had a surplus of these phones to give to people then ya i would expect a brand spanking new one. but since they dont i didnt really expect a brand new phone, i had to get on a back order list just to get a refurbed phone, in that case they would give the customer a razr maxx if you argued good enough or something similar to your phone, i almost got a blue razr cause that is what they had in stock, but i declined. mine didnt come in a moto branded box or the original accessories.

and this was just like 2 days ago

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hey, please don't misunderstand...I never said I didn't believe those who reported they received CLNR phones. What I did say was I wouldn't expect anything other than a new phone.

Now a for what an insurance policy can provide as a replacement, in theory if it's in the contract they could replace the broken phone with a stick of gum and you'd have to accept it. I know this because I've been in the financial services industry for 24 years, 6 for an insurance company, the other 18 with the banks.

I just didn't know that the insurance sold for these phones was authorized to provide CLNR phones...remember, I said I've never purchased this insurance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Apex89

Reaction score
What insurance do you have Foxkat? Mine is through verizon- meaning I pay the 8 or so dollars extra a month, but when I got my DROID 2 replaced last year after I lost it in the snow, the claim was through asurion.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Please allow me to further clarify...I never bought insurance on any phone I've ever owned, ever. I've also never had need to place an insurance claim on a phone I've damaged. I've had a few replaced under warranty but what's not covered under warranty...I simply fix them myself. I've replaced digitizers, displays and a camera. Getting to those devices successfully and without damaging the surrounding components, making the needed repairs, reassembling and ending up with a working device has me convinced I could repair any cellular phone if given the opportunity, parts, tools and time (and a diagram or two wouldn't hurt either). :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Apex89

Reaction score
Oh I see now. Well for what its worth when i got my phone replaced it came in the actual DROID 2 packaging and came with all the booklets and accessories that came with my first one when i got it from Verizon.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Oh I see now. Well for what its worth when i got my phone replaced it came in the actual DROID 2 packaging and came with all the booklets and accessories that came with my first one when i got it from Verizon.

Which says to me it was brand new, not a CLNR. I believe it may even be law that a CLNR must be prominently labeled as such, a form of law to protect you from having a used product being passed off as new.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wonder if the difference between getting a clnr or a brand new one is associated with how old the phone is. Sort of like car insurance... If the car is 10 years old insurance will replace for the value of a 10 year old car but if it was brand new then you get a brand new car. Maybe with phones, if it is within the first 30 or 90 days they replace with a brand new phone but if your phone is a year old, they replace with a clnr.

Or maybe it depends on how long you have carried their insurance?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums