Question about cracked glass

Aprules2

Reaction score
I recently dropped my RAZR M and the "Gorilla Glass" cracked. Ive read conflicting things about just changing the glass. Ive heard conflicting things that you can just take the phone apart and replace it, and Ive heard that it cant be separated. Has anyone actually tried it?

wtabke

Reaction score
Yes, you can replace the glass.

You can also damage the device doing it.

I have sent 2 back to Motorola to have the glass replaced because I have ended up with dust specs behind the glass on other screen replacements and did not want to risk that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

OP
A

Aprules2

Reaction score
I do really like my "M" although I am really let down by the quality of the gorilla glass on this new phone. I forgot my old Droid X on the roof of my car and it fell off in a major intersection, I found it 30 mins later it had been run over several times the battery cover was in one lane the battery in another and the phone face down at the light and it still worked, all I had to do is bend the cover back into shape. This one falls from the seat in my car onto the black top and gets a huge crack across the screen. I honestly don't care about a little dust between the glass and LED, I use my phone everyday and I am in construction so the screen is almost always filthy. I was ready to buy a new phone when I saw what complete digitizers and screens cost. Once I saw how cheap the glass by itself was I realized there was hope for my phone. What was involved in swapping it?

wtabke

Reaction score
I do really like my "M" although I am really let down by the quality of the gorilla glass on this new phone. I forgot my old Droid X on the roof of my car and it fell off in a major intersection, I found it 30 mins later it had been run over several times the battery cover was in one lane the battery in another and the phone face down at the light and it still worked, all I had to do is bend the cover back into shape. This one falls from the seat in my car onto the black top and gets a huge crack across the screen. I honestly don't care about a little dust between the glass and LED, I use my phone everyday and I am in construction so the screen is almost always filthy. I was ready to buy a new phone when I saw what complete digitizers and screens cost. Once I saw how cheap the glass by itself was I realized there was hope for my phone. What was involved in swapping it?

I'm not sure it was the 'quality' of the Gorilla Glass.

It's glass, drop it on a hard surface and depending on how it lands, it will break.

I suspect that you were very lucky with your previous 'drop' incident.

There are many write-ups on this and other sites and quite a few you-tube videos explaining the process.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4