Droid RAZR boot problems?

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Okay, so I basically just left my phone on a table and left it there for about a day. Next day, I fully-charge it and decide to turn it on to look up something, and it isn't going past that red-electricity thing. I left it for a while, nothing happened. I charged it again to be sure it was working, nothing happened. I looked online, cleared the partition and still nothing.

It's very odd. It will show the Motorola Logo, go to the Droid logo, and then to that thing that looks like an electricity generator, and then it will just stay there until it loses power or I force it to shut down.

Any help, or any chance of me being able to recover the files left on the phone?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OP
P

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Well there's not much we can do in troubleshooting if it won't boot. You may be forced to do a FDR. Perform a Factory Data Reset Device Powered Off DROID RAZR RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA Verizon Wireless

You can choose to not erase user data (step 6 say NO), and the phone should retain all your existing data and apps. Other than that I'm not sure there's anything else to try.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

So what does that actually do? Because if it'll be just like normal, this is a great fix.

EDIT: Okay, so I chose "NO" for step 6, hit reboot and literally nothing changed, still got the red-electricity thing. I mean there's like 7 no's and then one yes, and nothing seemed to change when i hit reboot after the factory reset. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, I don't think so. It did go through the reset, right? Did you simply choose reboot after choosing NO to step 6, or did it do the reset first?

If it completed the reset but you still have the same problems then it may be time to reflash the OS. If that doesn't work then you have a hardware failure.

OP
P

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
I chose reboot after choosing no. There was no reset, and nothing happened after I hit no.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok, so you didn't actually do the Factory Data Restore/Reset (FDR) then. And I owe you an apology. You can't do the FDR without wiping if you do it from the Recovery menu. The OTHER way to do this is to FLASH the OS back over top of the existing OS, which essentially rewrites the entire phone's Operating System and is akin to a FDR except that if there is any data corrupted on the phone now, the FDR will not fix that, whereas the Flashing will replace it with a known good copy.

So, if you don't want to LOSE your personal data, you should instead try DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows Mac Linux All In One - VZW Droid Razr Development XT912 - DroidRzr.com

This is a one-stop app that will do exactly what you need and it has the option to flash the new OS without wiping your data.

If you don't care about wiping the data, then follow the instructions I sent before. Here's a video to help you along.

OP
P

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Ok, so you didn't actually do the Factory Data Restore/Reset (FDR) then. And I owe you an apology. You can't do the FDR without wiping if you do it from the Recovery menu. The OTHER way to do this is to FLASH the OS back over top of the existing OS, which essentially rewrites the entire phone's Operating System and is akin to a FDR except that if there is any data corrupted on the phone now, the FDR will not fix that, whereas the Flashing will replace it with a known good copy.

So, if you don't want to LOSE your personal data, you should instead try DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows Mac Linux All In One - VZW Droid Razr Development XT912 - DroidRzr.com

This is a one-stop app that will do exactly what you need and it has the option to flash the new OS without wiping your data.

If you don't care about wiping the data, then follow the instructions I sent before. Here's a video to help you along.

Do I need safestrap or?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, the only reason one would want Safestrap is if they're going to install custom ROMs. Just run the utility and do the flash. Make sure the version of the OS that you are flashing is the same as the one you were running last. It should be referenced in the file and if you've taken all the Over the Air (OTA) updates it will be the most recent version as is in the utility.

OP
P

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Okay, if I need any more help flashing the phone I'll ask here. Thanks a bunch dude, went to the verizon stroe and they did even less to help me. Dude tried the battery-removal thing (Vol-Down + Power), said it was bricked then basically tried to order a new phone. Nothing to help me, at all.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow, that's more than most! LOL! JK. We'll leave the light on for ya! ;)

OP
P

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Ok, sorry its a bit late, but when I connect my data cable, neither the phone nor the program recognize each other?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's because you either don't have the current drivers or you're using a non-stock cable. You should use the cable that came with the phone, the one issued by Motorola. As for drivers, they can be gotten from the Motorola website, here... Software Drivers

OP
P

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
I downloaded the motorola device manager. Now what do I do?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I downloaded the motorola device manager. Now what do I do?

Did you run it? Go ahead and run it, then reboot the PC, and plug the phone in once it's booted up.