Droid Randomly Rebooting

khorowski

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever had an issue when trying to check text messages where their Droid will just reboot? It will usually happen when I notice a new text and I pull down the menu at the top of the screen and select the message. It used to happen once or twice a week at most, but over the last two days it has rebooted about 5 times. Is this an issue with an app, or the hardware? Also is there any type of log some place where I can possibly check to see what is happening? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

brando56894

Reaction score
Interesting, Ive had this happen but it was usually a rom/kernel issue. Maybe try reinstalling the app (or are you using the stock app?). There are logs available (dmesg and logcat) but I believe you can only access it if youre rooted.

OP
khorowski

khorowski

Reaction score
I am using the standard app. I am just thinking of moving to Handcent to see if it helps. I've played around with it in the past and its ok. I just want it to work so I don't mind switching away from the stock app. I'll probably speak with Verizon if that doesn't help.

Taegost

Reaction score
Are you rooted/using a custom ROM? If you are, you may need to change your kernel and/or ROM. If you're not, you'll want to check out your apps and see if any of them are causing conflicts.

OP
khorowski

khorowski

Reaction score
Nope, not rooting or using a custom ROM. I uninstalled any recent apps I have downloaded. I'll give that a shot for a day or two and see what happens.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since your not rooted the next thing I would ask -- do you have a task killer installed? If so, remove it. Task killers are notorious for causing problems.
Mike

OP
khorowski

khorowski

Reaction score
Since your not rooted the next thing I would ask -- do you have a task killer installed? If so, remove it. Task killers are notorious for causing problems.
Mike

I definitely do. I recently installed it when this issue started happening more often to see if it was something to do with memory.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try uninstalling the task killer and see if the force closures stop. Let us know if that resolves the issue.

Mike

OP
khorowski

khorowski

Reaction score
Try uninstalling the task killer and see if the force closures stop. Let us know if that resolves the issue.

Mike

I've uninstalled everything that I recently installed and so far it hasn't crashed. I'll give it another day or so and keep everyone updated.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great! Once your sure everything is stable re add one app at a time. Give each one a day. If all goes well, you'll know the task killer was the culprit.

Mike

OP
khorowski

khorowski

Reaction score
I figured I'd come back and update everyone. Ever since uninstalling the free version of Advanced Task Killer my phone has not rebooted. It's been a little over a day but all signs are pointing towards that being the issue.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. task killers create more problems than they solve. keep us posted