Droid questions

modified

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I just got a droid 5 days ago and I am loving it. I am an ipod touch user so I am already spoiled with technology. However, I found out today that a new phone, the nexus one, will be faster, have a better screen, and an amazing processor. So my question to you is: Should I return the droid and get a nexus one in a few days or should I stick with the droid? Is the nexus that much of an improvement or just overhyped?

The only thing about it is that I will lose my wonderful verzon coverage.

Also, I am very new to android, and I read that 2.1 will be released in early january. How can it make the phone faster if it is only a software, and the hardware of the phone will n ot be changed?

Last, but not least, I was wondering if it should root my phone. I understand it is like a jailbreak, but what exactly do I gain from it? What can I do that I would normally not be able to?

Thank you for the help, sorry if I am asking very basic questions.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well

Hey guys.
I just got a droid 5 days ago and I am loving it. I am an ipod touch user so I am already spoiled with technology. However, I found out today that a new phone, the nexus one, will be faster, have a better screen, and an amazing processor. So my question to you is: Should I return the droid and get a nexus one in a few days or should I stick with the droid? Is the nexus that much of an improvement or just overhyped?

The only thing about it is that I will lose my wonderful verzon coverage.

Also, I am very new to android, and I read that 2.1 will be released in early january. How can it make the phone faster if it is only a software, and the hardware of the phone will n ot be changed?

Last, but not least, I was wondering if it should root my phone. I understand it is like a jailbreak, but what exactly do I gain from it? What can I do that I would normally not be able to?

Thank you for the help, sorry if I am asking very basic questions.

You've asked a few questions so i'll answer the best I can

(1) Should you return the droid and wait on Nexus. In that case keep the Droid and wait until the Passion is released. They are the same device. Except the Passion is going to be on VZW, Rember that you have 30 days to return the Droid if you find something you like better. IMHO the Droid is the game changer to me

As far as rooting. If you are happy with it from the factory i don't see the need. I did not. Others have. Thats all about you. I hope this helps

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
lol, not to label you or anything, but you're one of those people who has to have the latest huh? I hate to say it, but with that mentality you'll never truly enjoy your devices. The Droid will constantly "evolve" with the updates and we'll eventually get 2.1 (same OS as Nexus One) and it's even projected for as early as Jan. 22nd. It's already been leaked to rooted Droids and from what i've heard, it's fast and a real improvement on 2.0.1.

Whether you want to get rid of your Droid for a Nexus One is really up to you. You want the latest and greatest, well that feeling only lasts a couple months in today's world, especially in the mobile industry. Competition between companies is at it's all time high and you'll never be able to be "a step above" anyone else for a long time.

It's really up to you whether you want to get the Nexus One or not, but I can tell you that the Droid is a new phone still and Google is still developing to bring it to it's full potential. With the promise of OTA updates and flash support from Adobe, the possibilities seem endless.

I don't know about the rest of you Droiders, but i am damn happy with this phone. I don't even really care about the Nexus One other than it's beautiful OLED screen, but that doesn't have a physical keyboard. The phone may not be for everyone, but i can definitely say I'll be holding onto it for awhile.

R

racklefratz

I found out today that a new phone, the nexus one, will be faster, have a better screen, and an amazing processor. So my question to you is: Should I return the droid and get a nexus one in a few days or should I stick with the droid?

Being a "kid in a candy store" is tough, right?

Is the nexus that much of an improvement or just overhyped? The only thing about it is that I will lose my wonderful verzon coverage.
I'd have to think long and hard about doing that.

I read that 2.1 will be released in early january. How can it make the phone faster if it is only a software, and the hardware of the phone will n ot be changed?
Coding improvements can definitely streamline and speed up the way a processor handles things. Definitely.

That's a hack that will essentially put you on your own WRT troubleshooting and dealing with any issues that result, as I understand it. If the geek in you says do it, then do it, but with your eyes open. It's up to you. Me - I follow the philosophy "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". My phone works fine and I don't want to jeopardize that.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moto Droid is not gonna be blown out of the water by the Nexus/Incredible.... it's one processor vs. two.... and the OS coding can make all the difference. Nexus would be my guess being faster than the Incredible... since it won't have HTC Sense UI on top of the Android OS.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on this idea that the Nexus has been hyped at all? One month ago people were debating IF the Google Phone even existed. Three weeks ago it was confirmed the Google Phone was the Passion..and then 2 weeks ago we realized it was called the Nexus. I am skewing the dates probably but thats not what matters. There has been no hype on the phone. The only time you heard about it was in people debating its existence in blogs.

Now with Google saying on its release date it will be "Invite Only"...it only shows that Google is trying to throw up a distraction to the obvious idea that the average person has no clue they even have a phone coming out called the Nexus and if they do, they will most likely not be canceling their carrier on the dot to a pay a fee and then hop on over to T-Mobile. Sales do not indicate quality and sheep mentalities are a joke but lets be honest...sales for this phone will not be great.

Oh and yeah.. now there is footage of people flipping through the marketplace with the phone. That's hype?

OP
modified

modified

Reaction score
So from what i gather, the next best thing coming to Verizon is the Passion?

The only reason i am extremely concerned is this: i can return within 25 days, and if a new, better, and faster phone comes out for the same price, why not get it?

I still do not understand the full use of rooting. Is it true that i can download apps to the SD card with it? Furthermore, are the paid apps free to download after it?

Thanks

LordKastle

Reaction score
The Passion is not coming to Verizon. No one knows the release of any future phones...HTC will be releasing various models in 2010...such as The Incredible but no one knows the date. You do realize a new smarhphone will be released almost monthly right when you look at the various companies releasing phones? [on different carriers. Verizon has clearly backed the Moto Droid as the device they want to promote for this generation even though there will be other HTC devices, Samsung, etc.]

Does common sense just does not exist? These types of threads are cumbersome.

Last edited: