Droid Pro - Charging Issue

SonnyJack

Reaction score
First off, I love the phone. Since I installed the extended battery and rooted to increase the density it's now perfect. However, I seem to have one somewhat annoying problem. If it's normal and I need to adjust I'll do so, but it just somehow seems wrong.

When I go to bed I plug in the phone to charge. Usually I'm down to about a 60% charge by then, sometimes 50 or even 40 depending on usage. Without fail, when I wake in the morning, I'm only at a max charge of about 70% and the phone is NOT currently charging. I actually have to unplug the charger from the phone and then re-plug it to restart charging. After about an hour I'm at 100% and then have normal battery life throughout the day. This happens whether I use the stock battery or the extended battery.

I know the battery has safeguards to prevent overcharging but shouldn't some type of trickle charge keep the battery at or near full charge? I've had the phone for about a month and I've even tried charging it with my BB charger thinking that perhaps my charger was bad. Same result.

Is this the normal charging characteristic of this model phone?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If your phone isn't charging then I would suspect the charger.

If this is actually an instance of the battery meter being inaccurate (ie 70% indicated but battery actually at 100%) I would try this:

[FONT=&quot]Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. You should let your battery deplete completely, then charge it up to 100% again. This will recalibrate your battery for your current setup. It’s a good practice to do this with any new ROM install. If this doesn’t work for you, then it may be time for a new battery. This will help with battery meter accuracy.[/FONT]

BTW, you can look at the battery mV readings in Spare Parts (available in the market). My battery at 100% reads 4163 mV (give or take a little).

OP
S

SonnyJack

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the charger isn't the problem since I've had the same issue with different chargers, and the batteries are both new. I'll try the battery depletion and see if that helps.

Thank you!

If your phone isn't charging then I would suspect the charger.

If this is actually an instance of the battery meter being inaccurate (ie 70% indicated but battery actually at 100%) I would try this:

[FONT=&quot]Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. You should let your battery deplete completely, then charge it up to 100% again. This will recalibrate your battery for your current setup. It’s a good practice to do this with any new ROM install. If this doesn’t work for you, then it may be time for a new battery. This will help with battery meter accuracy.[/FONT]

BTW, you can look at the battery mV readings in Spare Parts (available in the market). My battery at 100% reads 4163 mV (give or take a little).

OP
S

SonnyJack

Reaction score
Hey BFF!

You da' man/woman!

Your suggestion to delete batterystats.bin along with the charge and deplete seems to have solved my charging issue.

Thank you!!!!

Any idea why I would have had this problem right out of the box?

SJ

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey BFF!

Any idea why I would have had this problem right out of the box?

SJ

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

I'm under the impression that it comes from rebooting the phone when the battery power is at less than 100%. If that file gets deleted and rewritten, then it can assign 100% to whatever level charge the battery has a that time. Not sure about all that, as I read it a long time ago.