Droid POP3 Email

ECMatt90

Reaction score
I purchased a Droid a few days back & hooked it up and had everything running. I loved the Droid except for one reason.

I have been a blackberry user for years & I love the fact that with Blackberry you get your emails instantly, but it seems Droid has to "Sync" every 5,10,15 or longer minutes depending upon how you set it up.

Is there anyway to get the Droid to get your email the instant they are sent (like blackberry). This is a huge deal for me due to my business, I always like to be the first person to respond & if I am waiting for Droid to get my emails I will switch back to blackberry.

I use Pop3 accounts through Go Daddy for my email.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please tell me there is something that can be done as I would love to use the Droid.

Matt

wsbsteven

Reaction score
Only gmail supports push. You may be able to reroute your email to gmail to get the push that way but I haven't needed to do that. Someone else should have information on how to do that and if it works.

OP
E

ECMatt90

Reaction score
Why do they all do that (including the iPhone). Why can't push work for all accounts like blackberry.. I was hoping there was an app that would fix it for me.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Have your Gmail account check your pop3 accounts. You'll have to set that up on the web and not on your phone. Then it will all be pushed to your phone. There is also an option to name those pop3 accounts so you can tell which inbox they are coming from.

OP
E

ECMatt90

Reaction score
The only problem with that is if I then reply to the person who sent me the email it will be sent from my gmail account.

So what we are saying is that no one knows of a way to "push" POP3 email to the Droid?

Last edited:

Droidphan

Reaction score
same boat

I am in the same boat. I was going to call tech support today to see if they have a solution. I cannot understand why the email is not being pushed faster. It can take up to an hour? I am very disappointed with this aspect only. Eveything else is great. I may wind up returning DROID and buying ugh the storm?

OP
E

ECMatt90

Reaction score
The main reason I never bought the storm was because I like to have a keyboard, I have since switched back to my Blackberry Curve as I hate waiting on emails.. I was hoping the Droid would work better than BB as with my BB I get emails to it before they show up in my outlook inbox..

Someone please tell me how to fix this... If not the Droid is going up on Ebay..... :(

Matt

bamfsig45

Reaction score
The only problem with that is if I then reply to the person who sent me the email it will be sent from my gmail account.

So what we are saying is that no one knows of a way to "push" POP3 email to the Droid?

I know online you can specify which account to send from, not sure on the phone.

OP
E

ECMatt90

Reaction score

I know online you can specify which account to send from, not sure on the phone.

The problem is what you are saying is the same thing Droid is doing. I just read up on Gmail checking other accounts and Gmail will check your accounts "every so often" to see if there is an email. Well that's the same thing Droid is doing, I'm looking for a Real-Time Push email app or program. Like my the Blackberry.

Matt

stevedroid

Reaction score
Newbie Q re gmail push: I use only gmail accounts and at first my droid seemed instantaneous push of emails. Have I accidentally done something to my Moto droid to cause them not to auto push? They are taking almost 15 minutes now.

OP
E

ECMatt90

Reaction score
Seems as if there is no way to fix my issue.. Back to BlackBerry for me!!!

bamfsig45

Reaction score
This is a new device and a new version of the software. Give it time.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I just ran a test. On my Cox.net account I was having Gmail check those accounts for me, and you are right they were being checked like once an hour or so. So I changed the settings in my Cox accounts to automatically forward mail to my Gmail account.

I sent a test email from my work email account to my cox account. I got the email on my phone with in like 10 - 20 seconds. So Maybe Gmail checking for other accounts isnt the best and it best to forward other accounts to Gmail.

SuprSpy79

Reaction score
Push is a server side feature, when it detects new mail it was push it out to the client. The client has no way of knowing if the server has new mail without asking it for it. The server has to be the one to notify the client if it has it in order for it to work instantly like blackberry.

Taegost

Reaction score
Ugh... I hate threads like this...
Well, first: POP3 can't push e-mails, the only way they can be "Instantaneous" is to set it to check every minute, which is what BB does
Second: The issue with the delay affects a lot of users, myself included. Switching to K9 for mail fixes it and gives a much more robust e-mail experience
Third: If your e-mail supports IMAP as well as POP3, use the IMAP credentials, because that *is* instantaneous with Push technology.

With both my Gmail and the account I have through 1&1 set to use IMAP, I literally get e-mails before my browser window finishes refreshing the screen if I'm on a site and put in my address, and before it's visible in the web tool.