Droid, PDA, ESN

collegekid

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I am considering buying a Motorola Droid and have a few questions.

Is it possible to check e-mail, make VoIP calls, connect to the Android market, browse the internet only through WiFi?

Does the Droid transfer files like a USB drive? I mean that it mounts and one can transfer music, video, etc from PC to Droid or from Droid to PC? Or is a special application needed (a la iTunes)?

Last I don't want to buy the Droid for its phone capabilities, I strictly want it for a PDA-type device. I would not make phone calls on it, send SMS, or use the Verizon network for the internet (no data plan / contract / or monthly bill). I would connect to the WiFi at my university for all the above listed things. So what are my options?

1. Could I buy a used Droid and get rid of the Verizon account?
2. Should I buy an unlocked GSM Droid (with no contract, I have seen for $600 new)?
3. Could I buy a Droid with a bad ESN/MEID and use it or is it completely bricked?

Thanks for the help

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I dont know about voIp but for the rest of it, the answers no.. thats just for the first past, Im sure others will answer the rest..

isey78

Reaction score
why not try a tablet...especially if you're willing to fork out $600 bucks. I love my droid, but still to this day I wouldn't have paid $600 bucks for it. android tablets aren't top of line yet imo, but they will be popular very soon.