Droid noob - PLEASE HELP!

jhthegr81

Reaction score
Okay, after sitting here for almost an hour reading old posts, Im helplessly lost, and I need help! Be advised: I am a noob when it comes to flashing, repairing, or programming any phone. I have gathered as much info about everything that I can. Here it goes.

Phone: Moto Droid on 2.1 android and smoked glass 5.0v adamz

From the beginning: I bought this droid brand new from a guy on craigslist. It was still on verizon, with 2.1 android, so I found another guy on CL to flash it to metroPCS here in Dallas, TX. The ad stated that he could flash it and it could still have full functionality. After $110.00 and 2 hours, I came to pick up my phone from him, and everything worked great..for about an hour. Then the internet started getting really spotty, and every app installed had to do a force close as soon as I started it. Then, random freeze ups, black screens, and very annoying random restarts started happening all the time. Now, I can send/recieve text messages, and calls, but thats it. GPS still works, but WiFi tells me that the connection was unsuccessful about 4 out of 5 times. Now, my sd card keeps saying that its been removed, and to insert a new one. I think my phone has been rooted, because I have a superuser icon, although when I open it, its just black. I would like to find some way to fix it, prefrerrably on my own. I dont care about losing anything, but I would like to get my internet and apps working agian. Im just worried that if I re flash it, Ill lose the connection settings for MetroPCS, and I dont know how to get them back so that I have full functionality. I really need help on this one - Im not a computer noob, so if someone could give me a list of the software and tutorials on how to completely redo my phone without losing the metro connection settings, Id be very happy. Thanks to all you that contribute.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, after sitting here for almost an hour reading old posts, Im helplessly lost, and I need help! Be advised: I am a noob when it comes to flashing, repairing, or programming any phone. I have gathered as much info about everything that I can. Here it goes.

Phone: Moto Droid on 2.1 android and smoked glass 5.0v adamz

From the beginning: I bought this droid brand new from a guy on craigslist. It was still on verizon, with 2.1 android, so I found another guy on CL to flash it to metroPCS here in Dallas, TX. The ad stated that he could flash it and it could still have full functionality. After $110.00 and 2 hours, I came to pick up my phone from him, and everything worked great..for about an hour. Then the internet started getting really spotty, and every app installed had to do a force close as soon as I started it. Then, random freeze ups, black screens, and very annoying random restarts started happening all the time. Now, I can send/recieve text messages, and calls, but thats it. GPS still works, but WiFi tells me that the connection was unsuccessful about 4 out of 5 times. Now, my sd card keeps saying that its been removed, and to insert a new one. I think my phone has been rooted, because I have a superuser icon, although when I open it, its just black. I would like to find some way to fix it, prefrerrably on my own. I dont care about losing anything, but I would like to get my internet and apps working agian. Im just worried that if I re flash it, Ill lose the connection settings for MetroPCS, and I dont know how to get them back so that I have full functionality. I really need help on this one - Im not a computer noob, so if someone could give me a list of the software and tutorials on how to completely redo my phone without losing the metro connection settings, Id be very happy. Thanks to all you that contribute.

First try turning it off and on. If that doesn't fix it or if you've already done that do a factory data reset out of the privacy section of the settings. that should clear everything up for you.

OP
J

jhthegr81

Reaction score
I did a full reset - cleared data and cache last night - after that i uninstalled all apps - still have same problems, and thats when my internet stopped working - idk what happened..

Thanks for your reply, im just sick - I saved for months to get the phone and get it flashed..I even sold my laptop to cover the flashing price, and Ive only really been able to enjoy it for an hour - Ive only had it for 3 days!

Any other ideas?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry you are having issues. I'll be glad to work with you.

Can you connect (mount) your phone to a computer? Hopefully, the individual that rooted your phone made a backup. I'd like to see if we can locate it and restore.

Mike

OP
J

jhthegr81

Reaction score
well, my sd card doesnt work at all - it just says sd card removed, please insert new one. When I put the sd card into my computer, its completely empty - and even in the properties, it shows no space being used by files - its empty :(

OP
J

jhthegr81

Reaction score
well, my sd card doesnt work at all - it just says sd card removed, please insert new one. When I put the sd card into my computer, its completely empty - and even in the properties, it shows no space being used by files - its empty :(

Update: I was just told by another flasher that the smoked glass rom is very unstable and has alot of bugs? They said I should just remove the custom rom and just run android 2.0.1 or something like that..

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still here. Trying to figure out the best approach.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to locate something on the Rescue Squad site to help but I'm not finding anything. I sent a gtalk to another member of the squad asking him to weigh in.

What I'm not able to figure out is how to move forward without a backup. I'll keep looking.

Mike

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
SG is not buggy! The guyh who flashed it should help out free of charge.

Now to move past that. What recovery are you using (factory or sprecovery)

OP
J

jhthegr81

Reaction score
well when I do the factory reset, it reboots into SPRecovery - Patched by sirpsychoS (0.99.3b) and gives me the standard options - reboot system now, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, mount options, backup/restore, install.
sorry about the delay in replying - im having issues connecting to my wifi thru my droid..

Grandpa Droid

Reaction score
I'm hoping sombody can help. I find it very difficult to open the unlock slide when receiving calls. After trying several times, I often miss the call. It opens fine when not receiving calls. Is there a fix for this?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have you tried formatting your card in your pc?
We can do some things with your recovery if we can get your phone to mount properly

Sent from my Droid

OP
J

jhthegr81

Reaction score
okay - with LOTS of playing around, Ive managed to re flash my phone to the updated smoked glass 6 rom, and everything seems to be good as far as my sd card and calls and text. This forum has really helped me, I used the tutorials to learn alot about doing it myself, and Ive done it successfully. Now, heres my only problem: My carrier internet will not work. Im on Metro PCS in dallas,tx , and after alot of reading, I *think* I need to either change/flash the PRL to metro pcs's? OR do something in the ##program menu.. Idk - Ive done so much reading in forums, and alot of it is old - so can ANYONE please send me a link to a tutorial on how to flash the prl or to whatever I need to do to get the internet to work? Also, I think I read somewhere that they found out how you can use the EVDO OR the 1X? idk..if I have to just use the craptacular 1X thats okay - I just want to have something besides wifi..

Thanks to everyone that has helped me!
NEW phone specs: Android 2.1 rooted with smoked glass 6 rom

tkimball00

Reaction score
use clockwork and try adding a new rom maybe that might work try out froyo as well

Last edited:
OP
J

jhthegr81

Reaction score
but will that get me internet from metro pcs without any extra steps? If I have to do additional programming, I might as well stay with smoked glass...also, Im not familiar with any software used to flash, Im a complete noob- started today!
Thanks for your reply!