Droid Mounting w/ Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

hacku

Reaction score
So it's not often I have to plug my phone into my computer at home since I don't do a lot of data transfer between my PC and my Droid.

I always plug my phone in at work just to keep it charged since I play a lot of games on it, and have never had any problems.

So yesterday I come home and decided I want to add some new songs to my phone. Well, the only time I remember adding songs to my SD card must have been before I rooted and installed the custom ROM on the phone (DroidMod 1.0). I didn't have any problems before with mounting the phone. Windows detected it as mass storage (which is fine by me), I mounted it and moved the files.

Well last night when I wanted to add some new songs I noticed something different. When I plug the phone in, you can hear that Windows recognizes something being plugged in, but it no longer recognizes it as a mass storage device. Instead, it sees it as a Motorola A855. The only way I can actually mount the phone is if I turn on USB Debbuging on the phone.

As I stated earlier, I don't have this problem at work, but then again that machine is running Windows XP Professional (32bit) instead of Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on here?

Thanks

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Do you use adb? That may have something to do with it. I have the same version of windows w/ adb, and no problems w/ file transfer with debug enabled. At least it's working for you though.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
Im having the same problems as u. The only way I can mount is by goin to device manager and deleting a storage volume thing. I have to do that everytime I wanna connect my Droid. I really hope that there is another way because it takes too long to do that just to put something on my phone

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Do you use adb? That may have something to do with it. I have the same version of windows w/ adb, and no problems w/ file transfer with debug enabled. At least it's working for you though.

Nope, I don't use ADB. It has to be a Windows 7 thing because I don't have to turn on USB Debugging mode at work where I plug it into an XP machine. Hell, the phone won't even charge on my Win7 machine unless I have USB Debugging on.

drowe

Reaction score
I've seen many posts about custom ROMs and Win 7 x64 not being able to mount. I can tell you it isn't a Win7 x64 issue, I'm running Home Premium and it has mounted instantly without ever having to add drivers or fiddle with any settings. Both on 2.01 and 2.1.

David

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I've seen many posts about custom ROMs and Win 7 x64 not being able to mount. I can tell you it isn't a Win7 x64 issue, I'm running Home Premium and it has mounted instantly without ever having to add drivers or fiddle with any settings. Both on 2.01 and 2.1.

David
I second that, any ROM I have used I have never had issues. I also use Win7 x64.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So it's not often I have to plug my phone into my computer at home since I don't do a lot of data transfer between my PC and my Droid.

I always plug my phone in at work just to keep it charged since I play a lot of games on it, and have never had any problems.

So yesterday I come home and decided I want to add some new songs to my phone. Well, the only time I remember adding songs to my SD card must have been before I rooted and installed the custom ROM on the phone (DroidMod 1.0). I didn't have any problems before with mounting the phone. Windows detected it as mass storage (which is fine by me), I mounted it and moved the files.

Well last night when I wanted to add some new songs I noticed something different. When I plug the phone in, you can hear that Windows recognizes something being plugged in, but it no longer recognizes it as a mass storage device. Instead, it sees it as a Motorola A855. The only way I can actually mount the phone is if I turn on USB Debbuging on the phone.

As I stated earlier, I don't have this problem at work, but then again that machine is running Windows XP Professional (32bit) instead of Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on here?

Thanks

Go into your device manager, delete the A855 drivers. It installed them at some point. dump them, mount up and it should show up as mass storage.

vinny3299

Reaction score
I've done the same, it will not stay mounted for the life of me. Makes me want to return the POS

vinny3299

Reaction score
Man the loops i had to go through. I got mine working but the only way to get it working is to disable the current driver for the motorola, then when it says on the phone to turn off USB storage i can enable the driver. For about 2 min. it will stay connected.

emlan

Reaction score
I need to take the same action as dodgersrgood in order to mount my SD card to my Windows 7 computer each time. Here are the steps in a little more detail that works for me:

1. Open Device Manager (Make sure Droid IS NOT plugged in for this to work)
2. In Device Manager, click View then Show Hidden Devices
3. Click on Storage Volumes to expand the list
4. Uninstall all hidden Generic Volumes (these are the lightly grayed icons)
5. Plug in Droid and go through the typical steps to mount the SD Card and you should be good to go.
6. As always, make sure to safely remove before unplugging USB cord once done.

I hope this is helpful. I've tried figuring out this problem for a good two days and am now on a mission to post what has worked for me in an attempt to save others precious time.