Droid mounted to car with velcro?

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
yep most toll booths I've been to have it just ask , it's for mounting transponders to windshields, it's great really locks it on but will come off without screwing up the dash-important to me for car and motorcycle.
I use it on the bike all the time.
the guy that said pricey it is much cheaper at wal-mart or hardware store, I did did a quick search to show you the product. make sure it's 3m brand
what is it glue on pads that the glue is excellent but will come off when your done with it , just warm it slightly with a hair dryer,
and it is sorta like velcro that has plastic to plastic locks that hold very well, and won't tear up after it gets aged, try it you will like it.
here is another picture and a bit cheaper-just another search, go to wal-mart
Clear 3M SJ3560 dual lock strips 2 PCS 1"Wx 6"L - eBay (item 300381579626 end time Jan-27-10 09:43:29 PST)

Awesome! Just ordered it. Thanks for the link. For 4 bucks I'd rather just sit here at my computer rather than having to go seek out a toll road (which I think should be outlawed...what are our taxes for anyway???) and risking some nit wit not knowing what I'm talking about and still having to pay the outlandish toll.

And I think a modest little strip of velcro looks better than some hunky contraptions sitting on your dash. It will look especially awesome with the Droid in all it's satellite glory sitting there letting me know where everything is. I'll post pics when I get it hooked up!

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Just ordered it. Thanks for the link. For 4 bucks I'd rather just sit here at my computer rather than having to go seek out a toll road (which I think should be outlawed...what are our taxes for anyway???) and risking some nit wit not knowing what I'm talking about and still having to pay the outlandish toll.
...tolls pay for highways... cities struggle as it is to keep roads paved and maintained. you say it's just as easy as paying taxes? well, what happens when other expenses are added to the agenda? more roads = more money, old infrastructure = more money, more drivers = more money... where do you think this money comes from???

the easiest solution is to RAISE taxes, but people hate that, right??? so what else can you do? raise taxes on cigs and booze? OUTRAGE!!!

frankieg22x

Reaction score
I didn't read much with this thread but I just came up with an idea. I know there are many people who purchased a couple replacement doors for the back of their phones. You could put velcro to that and attach it to your car that way. Then all you need to do is replace the door when it is not being used in your vehicle.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Well I didn't really want to get a mount because I didn't want to fork up the extra cash. Plus I thought having it just sitting up there on some velcro would look pretty snazzy.

How were you going to attach the Velcro to the Droid?

Well I was just going to stick it on there with some kind of adhesive. That 3M stuff looks great, but it is certainly pricey.

Here's what my dash looks like:
cadillac_srx_v6_2004_dashboard_dashboard.jpg

So I could attach the Droid with some velcro right there in that blank space where the CD player is. I think it would look great! And easy with some velcro action I think. Thoughts????
moz-screenshot.png

Looks like you have a CTS or SRX. Looks exactly like my SRX. I have the exact same CD changer with the "empty" space on the dash and tried your solution. That little section of dash real estate is just the perfect size for our Droids...

One issue I had with the Velcro: That area above the CD slot isn't exactly flat. If you add a strip of Velcro to the dash and then one to your phone, you're mating a curved surface to a flat one, and you'll have a very small actual contact patch that is holding your phone up. Mine would always rock back and forth when I operated the screen and then fall off. I just had regular velcro and not the industrial stuff, but I quickly realized that it wasn't as solid of a mounting method as I'd like.

Next idea: Now I didn't actually try this, as I decided to order a universal type mount so it would work with my Wife's phone or GPS if she drove the car. However, I think this idea has legs, so maybe you'll want to run with it. Use your imagination, as previously mentioned, I never went forward with this, but here ya go...

Take one of those hard plastic cases (the kind that clip on the back of your phone) Now turn that puppy on its side like it would be if your phone was in landscape mode, and cut off or file off the top part (the side where your volume and camera buttons are) so the clips on that side are now gone. Now mount that bad boy right on that area above the CD slot. You'll need to fashion some shims somehow to be glued to the back side of the case to keep it from rocking back and forth on the curved surface. The use some of these 3M Command adhesive strips to mount it to the dash. (I've used these to hang heavy pictures on my walls, and they will hold alot of weight but not damage the surface. Now your phone will just slide right in from the top and be held solidly in place in a low profile mount.

I'm still waiting on my universal mount to arrive, so the jury is still out on that one. If it doesn't work out, then I might just try the hard case holder after all. I'll try to remember to post results either way.

skidemn

Reaction score
sounds good post above this one , but
the 3m velcro pads that are used for I-pass units would be great
used it for years with ham radio and phones, heat with hair dryer comes right off also when done with it
it's called 3m dual lock but this price is nuts, I ask for them at the toll booths free
Buy "3M" Scotch Dual Lock Reclosablefastners at BuyHardwareSupplies.com

or look at hardware stores

What is this stuff exactly? Is it adhesive? So I can use this with velcro? And how do you get it for free from toll booths? Do I just roll up on a toll booth and say, "gimme some 3M velcro pads" and then give them "the signal?" haha

My company sells these Dual Lock 3M Fasteners on our wholesale site in two sizes:
imagemagic.php

If this is what you needed, let me know. You can order them here: ROUND DUAL LOCK FASTENERS - 9/16 HOLE - DLCparts.com - DLC Parts - but the site is not set up for small orders so if you need one pack or something just PM me and I'll help you with it. We also have the Dual Lock strips and Velcro, but since it is a wholesale site the quantities they come in are rather large...

skidemn

Reaction score
Well I didn't really want to get a mount because I didn't want to fork up the extra cash. Plus I thought having it just sitting up there on some velcro would look pretty snazzy.

How were you going to attach the Velcro to the Droid?

Well I was just going to stick it on there with some kind of adhesive. That 3M stuff looks great, but it is certainly pricey.

Here's what my dash looks like:
cadillac_srx_v6_2004_dashboard_dashboard.jpg

So I could attach the Droid with some velcro right there in that blank space where the CD player is. I think it would look great! And easy with some velcro action I think. Thoughts????
moz-screenshot.png

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but for such a nice car I would have a hard time sticking Velcro to the dash to hold a phone. I'd use the Panavise mount for this car with a holder. Here's a pic showing where it sits in this SRX:
75109-703.jpg

Just put a holder on it and you're done!

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^ this. my car is in no ways luxury and i refuse to STICK anything, anywhere. suction or permanent mount for me all the way.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
^^^ this. my car is in no ways luxury and i refuse to STICK anything, anywhere. suction or permanent mount for me all the way.

Those brackets put it a little too far to reach and too low for my tastes. You can also get them to mount on the drivers side, but I didn't think I'd like it so low. Plus they are a little pricey, IIRC. Especially considering they are just a bracket, and you still have to buy a mount.

I'm not condoning Velcro at all. It especially seems out of line for a Caddy, but I had some on hand and gave it a shot. It didn't work very well, so I'm now working on something a little more permanent.

Silver Member
Reaction score
epoxy is a "little" more permanent

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
IMO, anything stuck to the face of your dash like that will absolutely RUIN the elegant look of that console. It pains me to think about it. Kind of like putting a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini. I'm sorry, but I think it will be FAIL.

Windsheild mount FTW.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I didn't read much with this thread but I just came up with an idea. I know there are many people who purchased a couple replacement doors for the back of their phones. You could put velcro to that and attach it to your car that way. Then all you need to do is replace the door when it is not being used in your vehicle.

GENIUS!!! however, i bought the car mount and have it where i want. i just hate the magnet on it. i have my blueant q1 so do all my call crap for me. sometimes my bluetooth goes off (pisses me off) and its hell trying to get to the homescreen from that stupid magnetic mount i just want to press ONE button to mess with bluetooth. does anyone know of a way to block/disable the magnet?

gloster

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but for such a nice car I would have a hard time sticking Velcro to the dash to hold a phone.

I'm with the OP. That big empty spot on the dash is perfect for his Droid. I have a BMW and am planning on doing something similar. And, yes, my car is my baby. She goes to the track. She's my daily driver. She's kept clean all the time. But, she's still going to have my Droid stuck to her dash. :icon_ devil:

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
BGRubb.....

What is a shim? I don't think I've ever heard that word. Sorry for being an r-tard. Sounds like a pretty good idea, but I might need more of a pictorial walk through, like with what shims are and what kind of mount you're talking about and all.

And Gloster, I'm with you. Droid needs some dashboard McLovin, I don't care if I'm driving a Lamborghini, cause this phone is the Lamborghini of phones!!!