Droid Micro USB Issue

sirphobos1

Reaction score
So I'm on my second Droid since Mar. 2010. The first started getting to a point where it would not charge, and now this second one has recently started to not recognize when I've hooked it up to a USB port.

What I've done to troubleshoot:

-never rooted
-multiple droid usb cables
-multiple computers
-reset to factory x2
-cleaned contacts on connector with alcohol
-stopped services related to market, and apps currently running (nothing related to the android system, however)
-double checked usb debugging OFF

The odd part is, the Droid recognizes that a cable has been plugged in, and the screen will turn on. However, I do not get the standard little green android on my screen telling me I can connect to transfer files.

The charging capabilities are also acting odd. Sometimes I can plug in the charging brick and have it charge. Other times it will not. If I plug in the cable when it's connected to a PC, sometimes it will illuminate the white light when the cable is approximately half in. As soon as it's the rest of the way in, the light will shut off, and then the previously mentioned screen event will happen.

The downside to this, of course, is the phone is a refurb, and it's out of it's super awesome 90 day warranty. (which in itself is annoying.)

Anybody got any other ideas?

Troops2990

Reaction score
If the charging light is going off it makes me think the port is bad, you could try to plug it into a different computer to see if that computer automatically finds the phone or not (whether or not the computer starts looking for a driver). How long ago did you originally get the D1? If it was within a year ago, your still under warranty. With CLNRs you have a warrant for 90 days or 1 year from original purchase date- whichever is longer.

OP
S

sirphobos1

Reaction score
The original one was purchased Mar. 2010. :(

Anyone who's taken one apart know if the port is fixable?

If the port isn't easily fixable, as long as the phone continues to charge, i'll limp by just transferring via SD card plugged in to a reader, or over wifi with swiFTP...

At least until the Droid 3 comes out.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
These things typically aren't fixable unless you're skilled in soldering tiny components without burning them out.

OP
S

sirphobos1

Reaction score
Coincidentally, I am a J-STD solder certified tech. :p Though, from several photos, I'm not sure how easy it is to re-solder that connector. It appears to be completely shielded...

Edit: Successfully took apart, re-soldered usb connector leads, and put back together... but did NOT solve the problem.

Argh!