can't connect via USB

Hexus

Reaction score
Tonight for some reason my droid stopped being able to mount via a USB connection. When I connect it my PC just says it can't recognize the USB device. I've powered it off and on, tried on another PC and still the same thing. I was able to use it perfectly fine earlier today!
I took my wife's droid and was able to connect it and mount it perfectly fine, so I know it's nothing on my PC or my cable. It does still charge when connected to the wall but when I connect it to the PC it does nothing at all.
I've checked USB debugging and that doesn't do anything either. Do I need to get yet another replacement? Please help I'm pulling my hair out and I NEED to get some files transferred!

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
no one has any ideas?
Guess I'm off to the VZW store to fight with them.... God I hate my store

Sweettooth

Reaction score
You might try simply restarting the phone.
If that doesn't work you might plug it in via USB, then right-click My Computer (assuming you're using Windows), then choose Manage. In the following screen, click Device Manager to the left; at the bottom you will see Universal Serial Bus controllers, expand the list if it isn't already. Next I'd remove/uninstall any unknown devices or ones labeled mass storage device. Once you do that, perform a safe removal, disconnect the USB cable and then reconnect it so that it reinstalls the driver.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score

I've powered it off and on,

If that doesn't work you might plug it in via USB, then right-click My Computer (assuming you're using Windows), then choose Manage. In the following screen, click Device Manager to the left; at the bottom you will see Universal Serial Bus controllers, expand the list if it isn't already. Next I'd remove/uninstall any unknown devices or ones labeled mass storage device. Once you do that, perform a safe removal, disconnect the USB cable and then reconnect it so that it reinstalls the driver.

I was able to use it perfectly fine earlier today!
I took my wife's droid and was able to connect it and mount it perfectly fine, so I know it's nothing on my PC or my cable.

sorry to be snarky, but I am pretty pissed off since I just spent over an hour at the VZW store and all he did was call tech support and do a master reset. It's been tried on three different computers and has had a factory reset and still the same results.

They're sending me a "certified like new" phone which again pisses me off because I want a GD NEW phone. PLUS I need to wait 3 f-ing business days to get it meaning I won't get it until Monday and then I'll need to go back into the store for them to activate it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

fr4c

Reaction score
Try enabling Development/USB Debugging and see if your computer recognizes your device.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
I've checked USB debugging and that doesn't do anything either.

Try enabling Development/USB Debugging and see if your computer recognizes your device.

guys I really do appreciate the help honestly I do, but if you would have read what I tried you'd see that I already did what you posted.

I do apologize I'm just so furious that I have to jump through all these hoops. It might seem minor to some but I REALLY need to be able to transfer PDF's to my phone so I have them with me. This will be my third droid replacement and I just got it last month....

U251

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem except enabling USB debugging does get mine to connect. I running Droidmod 1.1 on a 2.01 installation. Where is there some documentation on the purpose for USB debugging?

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
Just a new droid user. I could not access my files via USB. I was viewing my gmail menu options when something poped up about mounting the SD card for USB operations. I set it to enable and could view files from my PC. I went back to find the opt and can not find it. I powered the phone off and now can't get to the SD card from the PC. I am back trying to find the opt to mount the SD for USB operations. It is all magic and mirrors. I think that it is a software bug in the phone that is turning it off.
Replugged the USB and my removable drive shows up but tells me to mount a disk. It is acting like the SD is not mounted again. Still can't find the opt to mount the SD.

Last edited:

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
How do I transfer files to my Droid From My Computer?
A Cut and Paste Answer Straight off the Motorola Website:
==============================================

Transfer files to / from the computer:
  1. Connect your device to a computer using a data cable
  2. Go to Notifications (by touching the status bar at the top of the screen and dragging it down)
  3. Touch the “USB connected” notification
  4. Touch Mount
  5. Use your computer interface to move files between your device and your computer.
  6. When you are done, go to Notifications and touch Turn off USB storage, then disconnect the data cable from the device.
Note: Transfer files is supported on both Windows and Apple Macintosh computers

Got it working courtesy of one of the moderators, didn't copy the name

For what ever reason it unmounts when the USB is disconnected.

Last edited:
OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
mine was/is defiantly fubar-ed. I was able to do it before and then last night just POOF it wouldn't work. No notification when I plug it in, no battery charging, and the PC just says USB not recognized (tried it on several different PC's and I KNOW it's not a PC issue since I can mount my wife's droid just fine.). The VZW rep tried it on his PC too with the same results. Did a full factory reset, talked to all the tech support etc...

Anyway since they're sending me another phone I decided to take the plunge and root this one and have some fun while I wait for my new one. I've never rooted before and was 100% totally stock before. So far so good, it was a PAIN getting some of the files on here though since I couldn't just plug it in and transfer them.

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
I am just learning the phone. Are the apps on the SD card? Can you swap SD's when you get your replacement.
As a work around for your initial problem, can you pull the SD from from your phone, then write the files thru an SD writer on your PC.

Define root. I am not sure what it is.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Yes, you can swap SD cards as you can with anything else. Don't know about the rest of you but damn that thing is a little hard to get out though lol

If you have a MiniSD card reader or SD card with MiniSD adapter you can plug it in and write to it as you please as far as I know.

Root is the root user or superuser, in Linux/Unix, it is basically the entity with the highest set of permissions, basically like the guy that has 24 hour access to a building and all of its rooms and is trusted not to walk in and sabotage everything. Root access will allow you to navigate the phones protected system folders and alter their contents if you see fit. Given the root user has access to modify system files, he can then create applications which allow for a richer amount of device control, such as being able to more efficiently manage battery consumption, remove stock apps, modify themes, and control the amount of CPU overclocking. Just be careful if you decide to root your main phone because if you get to playing around too much without any kind of knowledge of what you're doing you may brick the device.

Yay! Post 100. :)

Last edited:

ljprevo

Reaction score
I was going to recommend that if you have wifi and the files are on your SD card, get a FTP server setup on the phone and FTP in over wifi to the phone to get the needed files.

When my phone is on the charger, I do this all the time.

I use the app SwiFTP

minnie

Reaction score

Thank you!! I have tried so many things and searched all over and that finally worked for me.

Good luck to Hexus and everyone else.

CaptainHewy

Reaction score
I couldn't connect my Droid and PC running W7. I am not sure which is to blame, but after trying all the suggestions here, I found this archive PDF of a forum post from Motorola Forum:

davis731 1 posts since
Mar 12, 2010 8. Re: Can't connect DROID to my PC!!! Mar 12, 2010 7:00 PM
I've seen several posts with the same or similar problem. In most cases the problem
occurs on Windows 7, 64bit machines. I was running Win 7, Home Prem, 64bit and had the
problem, too. Here's how I got around it:
1. Select Droid Settings/Applications/Development - Select "USB Debugging"
2. Pull down the notification bar - Select "USB Connected". Select "Mount".
3. You should now be able to access your SD card from the computer.

Worked perfect for me. As I said, I can not take credit for the solution so, thanks to davis731 whoever you are.