DROID Learning Curve (what was your previous phone?)

ATControlFreak

Reaction score
So how is everyone doing with the switch from their previous phone? Although this is my first smartphone, I feel like I am a pretty technically savvy guy so my DROID isn't too difficult to use (yet)! I upgraded from the VX1000 (Lg Voyager) so I'm not as familiar with what the DROID improves/lacks from other smartphones. Veteran smartphone users probably have a better idea than i do!

The biggest learning curve for me so far is using the slide-out qwerty. I typed like a mad man on my Voyager and my girlfriends blackberry curve, but I seemed to have lost a step or 2 with the DROID. I'm sure it will pick up once I get used to it...but that is what a learning curve is all about!

bguild

Reaction score
Blackberry Curve was my previous phone. I've had the DROID for a few days now and I am beginning to realize why RIM owns the business market. Typing is much more difficult on the Droid, and the Exchange support is lacking.

But, I love the phone so much, I am going to deal with it. :)))

smilepak

Reaction score
Motorola Q (Windows Mobile) -> Samsung Omnia (Windows Mobile) -> Blackberry Storm (BB OS) -> Motorola Droid (Android 2.0)

Fairly easy to learn really. Not as easy and boring like Apple iPhone that a 3 years old can use, but definitely not hard either.

kaorte

Reaction score
I had a crappy samsung juke but I also had an ipod touch. This is by far the best switch I have made.

The use of the ipod really helped. I already knew the common gestures and the soft keyboard pretty well.

I would agree that the hardest thing to get used to is the hard keyboard. I am still pretty slow...25 words per minute.

wagz

Reaction score
i bought the LG Dare when it first came out & have been on that since...so this is my first "smart phone" and its a whole new world & i dig some & get very annoyed by others

keiichi25

Reaction score
So how is everyone doing with the switch from their previous phone? Although this is my first smartphone, I feel like I am a pretty technically savvy guy so my DROID isn't too difficult to use (yet)! I upgraded from the VX1000 (Lg Voyager) so I'm not as familiar with what the DROID improves/lacks from other smartphones. Veteran smartphone users probably have a better idea than i do!

The biggest learning curve for me so far is using the slide-out qwerty. I typed like a mad man on my Voyager and my girlfriends blackberry curve, but I seemed to have lost a step or 2 with the DROID. I'm sure it will pick up once I get used to it...but that is what a learning curve is all about!

Well, I will say that I am a Blackberry 8400g and Storm user trying this out as my personal phone. There were some bumps and things that I wish I had from the Storm/8400g that the Droid could use, and like some of the things the Droid offers.

One, the virtual keyboard, I use more than I do the slideout on the Droid. The Storm Virtual keyboard is actually much more annoying, especially when it gives spelling suggestions and also the nuisance to push harder on the screen to get something done. While it took a little time to get familiar with the Droid's Virtual keyboard, I found the Portrait Keyboard much easier to use than the Storm's version.

The customization is kind of nice, took awhile to understand the whole Left/Middle/Right as the default 'home' position is the middle, and being the kind of person I am, I always like 'left, then middle, then right'.

As for the Exchange Support, what's the problem? Right now, seems okay to me.

DaHarder

Reaction score
Previous Handset: iPhone 3GS

Current Smartphone: Motorola DROID

DROID Learning Curve: Approximately 10 Minutes

Value of Switching from AT&T/iPhone to Verizon/DROID = Priceless!

aka_rob

Reaction score
I upgraded from a Samsung Omnia with a custom rom running windows mobile 6.5 that I got from modaco.com It wasn't a bad phone at all and the camera was a lot better than the droid's.

As far as the learning curve goes, It was a pretty clean transition moving from the touch screen only omnia to the slide out keyboard. I also used my ipod touch regularly so I find my self using the on screen keyboard a lot. It took just a few minutes for me to figure out some little things, like how to set sms notification to vibrate.

Getaphixx

Reaction score
I switched from an iPhone to Dr0id...

Learning curve was a little more difficult.. And I do mean little.. But I think about someone like my father who managed the iPhone pretty well would have a tougher time navigating through the Dr0id..

(Apple OS's are more user friendly to non technical people and I don't ever see that trend stopping.. But I do see more and more technical people!)

bodean

Reaction score
Previous phone was a Samsung SCH I760. Windows Mobile....had it for 2 yrs. Droid is superior to it. (Typing this at St Louis airport)

josh

Reaction score
My previous phone was a BB Pearl (8100). Learning curve was fairly slight, though there are still a few things I'm just figuring out. I discovered you could hold down Home and get the pop-up of the 6 open apps by accident. Actually I did it by accident a couple times and then finally realized what it was I had done. I'm not a big fan of the hardware keyboard, but I'm getting better. The software keyboard is better than I thought it would be. If I'm just tapping out a quick text message I have been using the portrait software keyboard.

One thing I haven't really got down yet is the whole ring/vibrate/silent thing. When the phone is set to vibrate it puts itself into "Silent mode" which isn't what I wanted. Makes me miss the Profiles on my old BB.

bguild

Reaction score
Regarding lacking exchange support, have you tried to Accept or Decline an appointment invite? Well, you can't from the email app. You have to find the individual appointment in the calender, and accept or decline it from there. A huge PITA.

Also, did you notice there is no GAL (global address list) support? Good luck manually coding all those thousands of corporate contacts into your individual contacts. Another PITA.

Then there is the whole debacle about Droid not supporting Activesync Security Profiles, which pretty much invalidates usage of the phone for 99% of all corporate users.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
BB Pearl to Droid here. The hardest thing for me was using the software keyboard and finding the ? mark on the hardware one. I'm getting better at the software keyboard and I use it more and more over the slider.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Regarding lacking exchange support, have you tried to Accept or Decline an appointment invite? Well, you can't from the email app. You have to find the individual appointment in the calender, and accept or decline it from there. A huge PITA.

Also, did you notice there is no GAL (global address list) support? Good luck manually coding all those thousands of corporate contacts into your individual contacts. Another PITA.

Then there is the whole debacle about Droid not supporting Activesync Security Profiles, which pretty much invalidates usage of the phone for 99% of all corporate users.

Well, I did not know that, however, I found that if you are using exchange as well as Outlook at work, there is a feature in Outlook where you can save contacts from the Global Address list as part of your Contacts, and I do so mostly because you also cannot look up those entries from a Blackberry at all, or from Outlook Web Access as nicely as you would with Outlook while on your corporate network.

Batfan.com

Reaction score
Well, I had an LG VX8100. Got it when it was brand new.

Lol, I know, thats an old-ass phone. About a year ago, I decided I wanted to wait to upgrade until Verizon got an Android phone.

Then, this last May, I started tracking news on Calgary/Sholes/Tao/Droid. Been waiting for the Droid ever since.

Love the Droid, so glad I waited!