Seriously, who would buy a Blackberry?

boatman2220

Reaction score
I believe IF they had given us a little more, some of us wouldn't be here now. I updated the Storm to 5.0 and it was a improvement. But after some research on the Droid, here I am along with the rest of you. Blackberry isn't bad, just stuck in a rut. It doesn't look like a tow truck is coming soon either.

darreno1

Reaction score
Well I'll be blunt: I hate blackberries - ALL OF THEM! I hate the tiny screens, the dumb trackballs, the OS, and IMO, they probably have one of the most archaic interfaces I've ever used. And after having to troubleshoot many of them for both BIS and BES issues, I'd say they are no more reliable in terms of email than my Droid. And yes, I'd go as far as to say I trust my Droid to update my email accounts on time over a Blackberry. It seems too many things can go wrong with the back end. All too often I have to erase and recreate accounts, or resend service books or some other bs to get things working right again. And oh the best.... desktop redirector doesn't even support attachments. I mean what kind of BS is that? I setup a customer who had isses with BIS on redirector temporarily only to find out they weren't getting one of the most crucial part of their emails - the attachments. For years this has been like that and RIMjob still hasn't fixed it as far as I know. My guess is they'd prefer if every Tom, Dick and Harry spent money on a BES server.

I will give them credit on features though. When it comes to corporate email (especially), they are hard to beat and that is probably the single most important factor that will keep them in the running for a while, but it will only be a matter of time before Android (and iPhone) take a serious plunge into the corporate world. And judging from the fact that many Blackberry users can successfully switch to the Droid, and there are apps like Touchdown that can offer Blackberry like features, it seems like it wouldn't be very hard for Google and Apple to take on RIM.

galaxy1000

Reaction score
After switching from my previous Blackberry Curve to the Droid, I can't imagine why anyone would get any Blackberry anymore, unless it's issued by work. I understand the great Exchange support in Blackberry, so it has it's market, but it's certainly not anyone else.

There experience isn't even close. Blackberry can't touch Android on quality apps (especially free), the hardware is slow, the browser is garbage, and the experience just isn't anywhere near as good. About the only thing I miss about my Curve is the keyboard, which was a lot better.

No voice dial thru bluetooth, that's why I'm going back to my Storm. It kills me too, the Droid is great but for that 1 important feature.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No voice dial thru bluetooth, that's why I'm going back to my Storm. It kills me too, the Droid is great but for that 1 important feature.

Sigh.....Blue Ant Q1. Limits you to 8 contacts but it is totally hands free voice dialing. Plus there are things in the market place to make it almost hands free like voice dialer hf, and buttons.

Have a nice holiday. Maybe you can still get Santa to drop off a Blue Ant Q1 headset for you under the tree.;)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The subject of RIM is a sore spot for me.

right before the Storm release (or maybe it was shortly after?) Balsillie makes the assanine comment that "buggy" software is the new reality. Well that would explain the Storms launch but not the shoddy hardware.

So that didn't sit right at all with me. Even though I didn't own the Storm I was a longtime BB user and I was supporting the company. The QC was definitely on the decline but then his comments and then the Storms launch almost pushed me over the edge, as far as dropping the product.

Then news came out about the Tour. Looked good to me. Figured I'd pick it up. I mean RIM already went through the mess with the Storm they certainly wouldn't release another device with a ton of hardware problems. Not a chance.....the company would get it right this time around.

Tours released and the battery door and trackball problems flood the web. Even though mine was good that was the last straw. I even commented on a forum that because of Balsillie and their poor QC my Tour would be my last BB.

They will never get my money again.

There is an article about Balsillie in Macleans. It's totally unrelated to RIM but it's about him losing the bid for the Coyotes.

There is a reason he didn't get the hockey team and it has a lot to do with his reputation.

Just realized I read over this.... regarding the Coyotes...
As an avid hockey fan I can agree/confirm with Cereal here that Balsillie didn't stand a shot getting the Coyotes because of his rep. Hockey wasn't letting him in. So glad!
Can you imagine? "Yea our team will be sh*tty but that's the way things are now!" Fail. Just like 5.0.

galaxy1000

Reaction score

Sigh.....Blue Ant Q1. Limits you to 8 contacts but it is totally hands free voice dialing. Plus there are things in the market place to make it almost hands free like voice dialer hf, and buttons.

Have a nice holiday. Maybe you can still get Santa to drop off a Blue Ant Q1 headset for you under the tree.;)

I use the Galaxy 1000, and as you can assume from my name I am quite partial to it. If you have a gm onstar equipped vehicle you can get one at www.galaxy1000.com