Droid Incredible 2 locks up many times a day

senyob

Reaction score
3 days ago, my Dinc2 locked up during a call. It's the first time it ever happened, and I had to pull the battery to reboot it. Since then, it's locked up a total of about a dozen or so times. I was thinking at first that it was a software issue, so I uninstalled all apps; no luck. I then did a factory reset and even wiped the sd card. No dice; she's still locking up. It happens seemingly at random and there's nothing I can do to force it to lock up. I'm extremely careful with the phone; it's never been dropped, been wet, etc. Most times it's locked up, I pulled the phone out of my pocket to find I couldn't turn it on. Once, it locked up while in use, and said "com.android.phone has stopped responding". I was able to click force close, and then it was shot and I had to pull the battery.

I thought long and hard about what could have changed in the phone 3 days ago, and the only thing that did was the "Google Play" update. If that were the case, I'd expect to see many posts here about it, so I suspect that's not the problem. The phone is not rooted, bootloader still locked. I'm traveling right now and there's no Verizon store accessible to me so I'm putting out a hope and a prayer that someone here may know what's up.

tl;dr Dinc2 locks up at random, several times a day. Can't get to Verizon store. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading

Natey2

Reaction score
The only thing that locks up my DroidX that requires a battery pull is when Google Maps Navigation locks up (occasionally). Maybe the guys at Google who worked on the Navigation module had their paws in Google Play?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you mess with a custom skin or download/install one that didn't come on the phone?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OP
S

senyob

Reaction score
Here's an update on my issue: when my phone was locking up many times per day, it was rainy and humid. Once the sun came out and the humidity reduced, the phone only locked up a couple of times one day, and no times the next. That seems too much of a coincidence to me, so my money is on humidity issues. I probably wouldn't have made that connection, except that my last phone, the original Moto Droid, became unusable (touch screen issues) due to humidity.

I'm back near a VZW store so I'll bring it in to have them look at it under warranty, and I'll update here as I learn more so others can hopefully benefit.

pinkunicorn

Reaction score
3 days ago, my Dinc2 locked up during a call. It's the first time it ever happened, and I had to pull the battery to reboot it. Since then, it's locked up a total of about a dozen or so times. I was thinking at first that it was a software issue, so I uninstalled all apps; no luck. I then did a factory reset and even wiped the sd card. No dice; she's still locking up. It happens seemingly at random and there's nothing I can do to force it to lock up. I'm extremely careful with the phone; it's never been dropped, been wet, etc. Most times it's locked up, I pulled the phone out of my pocket to find I couldn't turn it on. Once, it locked up while in use, and said "com.android.phone has stopped responding". I was able to click force close, and then it was shot and I had to pull the battery.

I thought long and hard about what could have changed in the phone 3 days ago, and the only thing that did was the "Google Play" update. If that were the case, I'd expect to see many posts here about it, so I suspect that's not the problem. The phone is not rooted, bootloader still locked. I'm traveling right now and there's no Verizon store accessible to me so I'm putting out a hope and a prayer that someone here may know what's up.

tl;dr Dinc2 locks up at random, several times a day. Can't get to Verizon store. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading

Mine does the exact same thing. About a week ago, started locking up when texting, when using apps I've used since I first got my phone (like Facebook), when trying to type an email, it would even lock up when sending texts or trying to start/end a phone call. It would take forever to send texts, and just as long to receive them. Sometimes I would receive 4 or 5 of the exact same texts in a row. Facebook is slow. The browser is painfully slow and locks up all the time. It seems all my phone knows how to do now is "Force Close". Not only that, but my battery drains much faster than normal. Normally I just plug it in overnight and it lasts all day long. Now I'm having to plug my phone in at noon and again when I get home from work. It also has trouble making calls. Even in areas with exceptional reception, it cut out. But it wouldn't do this for ALL calls, just every once in a while.

My husband's Droid X was doing that. It turned out his SD card was bad. He replaced the SD card and his phone worked fine. So I went out and got a new SD card. Didn't help.

I've had the issue in the past where my keyboard would lock up. So, figuring I'm ready to try anything before going to the Verizon store, I went into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Multi Touch Keyboard. I cleared all data, and was going to clear the cache, but the cache was empty. After doing this, I rebooted my phone.

I just did this a little bit ago and it seems to be working ok so far. I typed back and forth to my husband a few times, long texts and fast typing like I ususally do. No problems. It sent and received ok. I'm browsing like usual, and using my usual apps ok. I made and ended a phone call ok.

I will try this and check back in a few days to let you know if it's still working ok.

Like Senyob, the only thing that has changed was when I upgraded the Market to Google Play. I haven't downloaded any new apps. I'm wondering, too, if the Google Play is part of the issue?

AZDRNKSLNGR

Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem as I've experienced this issue quite a few times while using a droid 2. Randomly during texting it would start inputting all kinds of crazy strings of letters as if i were hammering on the keyboard. After clearing all data in the multi touch keyboard, it worked flawlessly.