Droid in Aruba?

JLB09

Reaction score
I called Verizon and I just am not comfortable with the answer the customer service rep gave me. It did not seem to coincide with other reports that I have read here and on other forums.

I just wondered if there was anyone here that had traveled to Aruba or locations around there and what they were able to use their Droid for without incurring enormous charges.

I am not concerned really about phone usage because I am renting a local phone but more messaging, receiving emails, browser usage, and the camera?

stmomma

Reaction score
hmmm, I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me you have two options to avoid incurring charges while out of the country. You can simply put your phone in "Airplane Mode" and avoid using any wireless or airtime features. Or you can go to settings, put it in Airplane Mode, then turn the Wireless back on, giving you access to any local wireless computer access points and avoiding airtime charges...

Anybody know if that will work?

OP
JLB09

JLB09

Reaction score
hmmm, I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me you have two options to avoid incurring charges while out of the country. You can simply put your phone in "Airplane Mode" and avoid using any wireless or airtime features. Or you can go to settings, put it in Airplane Mode, then turn the Wireless back on, giving you access to any local wireless computer access points and avoiding airtime charges...

I had actually read that idea and mentioned it to the rep and he said that would not work at all, which is why I became to question him. I would rather hear from someone that actually went there or somewhere similar and knows for sure.

Thanks

darreno1

Reaction score

I had actually read that idea and mentioned it to the rep and he said that would not work at all, which is why I became to question him. I would rather hear from someone that actually went there or somewhere similar and knows for sure.

Thanks

Yes WIFI functions just fine with airplane mode on. And the Droid will CDMA roam (voice and data) in Aruba for $1.99 a minute (voice).

I was in Trinidad this past week and used my Droid's wifi exclusively with AP mode on.

Calling From Aruba

edthesped

Reaction score
I just came of a cruise and found the following...

St. Thomas and St. Martin: Roaming
Barbados: Got text message about international roaming
Dominica and St Kitts: No service found

Mind you I never bothered to take the phone off the ship so I can't confirm 100%

stmomma

Reaction score
I just came of a cruise and found the following...

St. Thomas and St. Martin: Roaming
Barbados: Got text message about international roaming
Dominica and St Kitts: No service found

Mind you I never bothered to take the phone off the ship so I can't confirm 100%

Most ships now offer roaming for Verizon. Go here for more details. And for more information on international roaming rates check this link.

When we went on our Caribbean cruise, (2005) we had home service on St.Thomas. It doesn't appear to be in the home coverage area anymore :icon_evil:

nicdi

Reaction score
I'm in Aruba now and my droid phone is spotty. It has not been able to dial out for at least half the time I have been here (5 days). My blackberry used to work fine. I have had to use my wifes blackberry to make my calls because I am ready to throw the droid in the ocean. Her phone has worked 90% of the time. I finally found a global support number for verizon and the rep is telling me that I am not dialing right. I said really, now how did I reach you. He continued to argue with me until I repeatedly had to tell him the only reason we are talking is because I am using my wifes blackberry and obviously I dialed right. He then mentioned that the Droid is only CDMA and blackberry is GSM & CDMA. I shut off my data roaming because it will become too expensive. I just check my laptop for emails and try to remember I'm here for vacation not work. Hope this helps