Droid going "end of life" at Best Buy...

DanSan

Reaction score
i work at bestbuy..

At risk items are obviously items that will be soon deleted and no longer carried in stock. they have date ranges are at risk life like >30 days, >90 days at risk.

when they hit their limit the item goes EOL. which is end of life and its ultimate latest it will be kept in the store. after that whatever we have is sent back to the manufacture. monday when i go to work im gonna check the stock and see if its still listed as an active sku, discontinued or deleted. if the item is discontinued its usually a decision by the manufacture.. if labeled as deleted its either it went at risk and then finally hit EOL or we decided to stop carrying it.

also the devour is on a 2 month exclusive at bestbuy first and then it will hit the VZW stores.

cpinto

Reaction score
First of all Best Buy is the joke of all electronics stores. The typical employees has a brain the size of a peanut.
Interesting...since I work there...thanks...that was so insightful.

So nice to be painted with such an ignorant opinion...:icon_evil:

As to the end of life or at risk...VZW makes the call as to what we carry in store and what we don't. If they want a different phone, a flagship so to speak, they might pull the Droid so they don't butt heads with the Nexus. Unfortunately, what they should pull is the Devour...that one has horrible sales...

Have to disagree with the comment about Best Buy employees. I find them to be very helpful.

Now if you were talking about the late, "Circuit City", I would agree.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you are misinformed....the DROID Eris is EOL in 2 weeks, not the Moto Droid... relax people.
Again I posted twice in this thread and nobody reads : )

People do not understand what EOL or At Risk even means. It's not what everyone is assuming in here. If the Droid is on the list it's not what you think.....

**CK throws hands up and leaves**

+1 CK!

I hate the OUTDATED bit.

My Droid is not outdated at all.

Outdated is if you wish to compare it to something else. That goes for all technology.

Since I'm not comparing, it works quite well for me. Not outdated one bit.

Rollingbones

Reaction score
First off Chicken Little, the sky is NOT falling. Because one retailer makes a shift, it does not mean the world will follow to suit. I've shopped at Best Buy for several years and what I can say s the store frequently has a tendency to go in its own direction and doesn't carry a lot of things many other electronic stores do. This is not a statement of judgement, but just an observation. I've received some excellent input and help from the store in the past and will continue to shop there, but it's not my electronic guiding light.
Droid isn't going anywhere. I took a look at Nexus and did not find it to be a Droid killer anymore than Droid would kill the iphone. Nexus is a great phone, but the Droid suits my needs much better and I consider the iphone to be a great toy that can make phone calls 75% of the time, but in the end DROID DOES!!! I'm no techo-geek, but I did a lot of homework before buying this phone and for my needs, nothing else touches it at the moment and that won't change in a minute. The same is true for many, many other people.
When Verizon places Droid in the endangered species list, then I'll start being concerned and that's not likely to happen anytime soon. I had a Blackberry 8330 Curve before the Droid and it's still available at many places inspite of upgraded phones since then. If BB wants to drop Droid...oh well!!! I will be curious to see what they replace it with. That should be amusing to say the least...

Last edited:

nolanandy

Reaction score
I think you are misinformed....the DROID Eris is EOL in 2 weeks, not the Moto Droid... relax people.
Again I posted twice in this thread and nobody reads : )

People do not understand what EOL or At Risk even means. It's not what everyone is assuming in here. If the Droid is on the list it's not what you think.....

**CK throws hands up and leaves**

+1 CK!

I hate the OUTDATED bit.

My Droid is not outdated at all.

Outdated is if you wish to compare it to something else. That goes for all technology.

Since I'm not comparing, it works quite well for me. Not outdated one bit.

LOL...is XP ever outdated? I don't think that I will go to Win7 until 2012 :)

Lemurion

Reaction score
As others have said, I'm not worried. My Droid still does what I need it to do so I'm happy with it. None of the phones on the horizon have a higher resolution screen, so I really can't see anything that's better for my purposes.

It's a great phone, and the way Verizon is still pushing it I think they're going to be supporting it for a long time. Best Buy isn't a problem for me - it's too far away.

bradford88

Reaction score
First of all Best Buy is the joke of all electronics stores. The typical employees has a brain the size of a peanut.

Second of all have you seen all the Droid commercials? Have you seen ANY Nexus commercials?

Stop freaking.:icon_ banana:

lol maybe so but i got my Droid from them for $99.99 with 2 year commitment. and they dropped my ATT line 6 months in with no ETF :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

bradford88

Reaction score
LOL...is XP ever outdated? I don't think that I will go to Win7 until 2012 :)

So that's how the world ends. you upgrade to windows 7 and your power supply explodes. This in turn will ignite your curtains and evenually your house/apartment. now when you drove home with windows 7, you had a severed gas line in your car. a trail of gasoline is set ablaze from the house fire and explodes the gas pump you were at earlier that day. this explosion causes a nuclear meltdown at the nearby nuclear power plant. in a frantic chain of events, Obama, in a panic, attempts to divide by zero with public health care reform. Thus opening a giant hole in the ground from whence demonic critters and zombies scurry from. FML. I'm just glad i have an Ar-15, a 12 guage, and a .357 magnum to hold me off for 10 minutes while i use my droid as a flashlight.

demon69120

Reaction score
Droid 2 D: **** man ****, I might have to pay $1000 to buy it since I have 2 years until upgrade

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Worst case? Best Buy won't carry a phone I don't need to buy there because I own it anyways. Best case? They stop making them globally and my phone goes into an endless reboot so it gets replaced with a D2 because there aren't enough D's to go around :)

I bought my phone in November. I'm not eligible for another discounted one until 2011. At some point between now and then something will come along that is better. At some point we'll get our "last" update. Meanwhile, if you root, I'm pretty sure the Droid can run anything that's on any other Android phone. I'm also fairly confident it will be running something we haven't seen yet too.

Another way of looking at it:
I've had the phone almost 4 months, a quarter year. My phone is 1/8th of the way through it's life cycle. In human years it already is 10, by mid-summer it will be 20. By Christmas it will be 40 and going through its midlife crisis. Too early to stress out as this thing is still running around the playground capable of taking on the world.

Rollingbones

Reaction score
OKay... How many of you out there believe we're heading towards a Cell Phone Armagedden??? As I see it, there's only one reasonable thing to do. Dump the Droid and move to a pre-paid throw away cell phone. It's the only way Big Brother can track what you're doing with it!!!
As for me I think I'll keep the Droid if for no other reason, I love screwing with Big Brother's head!!!

Reaction score
Worst case? Best Buy won't carry a phone I don't need to buy there because I own it anyways. Best case? They stop making them globally and my phone goes into an endless reboot so it gets replaced with a D2 because there aren't enough D's to go around :)

Hearing all this talk about "Best Buy" and their inventory of stuff, I'm still looking for a nice quality, brown leather side load clip holder for my Droid. Well, I get to the "Best Buy" and nothing, just freaking nothing for the Droid but black cases and not very nice ones at that. The VZW brand holder I got from the VZW kiosk is tons nicer but not brown.

Anyhow, their selection wasn't good enough to suck. Even with iPhone stuff, nothing of note in the case department. So, don't anyone rush to "Best Buy" if you are looking for a case.
And, if you are looking for a genuine good buy on electronics, newegg has awesome prices, usually free shipping and no sales tax - can't beat it.

trumpet444

Reaction score
yeah, no great selection of cases for droid at BB. given the popularity, you'd think there would be more. but i've seen a $99 leather case for an iphone though. (overkill) The only way i'd pay 99 bucks for a case is if they guaranteed, with a $700 warranty, the phone wouldn't scratch, crack, etc from a 6ft drop