Droid going "end of life" at Best Buy...

crspyjohn

Reaction score
From what I saw on howardforums the droid isn't going EOL but business plans are changing. I interpret that as a newer model coming out and/or Google is going the Consumer/Business phone route. There will be phones directed towards the consumer and phones directed towards business users or there might just be a new droid on the horizon.

Darkseider

Reaction score
"there might just be a new droid on the VERIZON."

There ya go, fixed! :)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think you are misinformed....the DROID Eris is EOL in 2 weeks, not the Moto Droid... relax people.
Again I posted twice in this thread and nobody reads : )

People do not understand what EOL or At Risk even means. It's not what everyone is assuming in here. If the Droid is on the list it's not what you think.....

**CK throws hands up and leaves**

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
First of all Best Buy is the joke of all electronics stores. The typical employees has a brain the size of a peanut.

Second of all have you seen all the Droid commercials? Have you seen ANY Nexus commercials?

Stop freaking.:icon_ banana:
I've gotta agree with this. BB employees are not qualified to speak on technology at all, many are high schoolers or just people who went and applied and got hired. It's like when you go to gamestop and the employees act like they have inside knowledge on video games or something ahha

pbdroid

Reaction score
I'd like to think that the $300 I dropped on my Droid is going to continue paying dividends for a while. I like the experience of the Droid.

Wouldn't we just look like fools if the Droid did meet an earlier death (um ... IPhone Killer ... what?).

Maybe we got Microsoft'd ... you know in the spirit of Windows ME before XP, or Vista before 7 ...

Then again, maybe we forum posters just speculate way too much .. go out and kill and IPhone!

OP
A

awacker89

Reaction score
First of all Best Buy is the joke of all electronics stores. The typical employees has a brain the size of a peanut.

Second of all have you seen all the Droid commercials? Have you seen ANY Nexus commercials?

I've gotta agree with this. BB employees are not qualified to speak on technology at all, many are high schoolers or just people who went and applied and got hired. It's like when you go to gamestop and the employees act like they have inside knowledge on video games or something ahha

LIKE I SAID BEFORE MULTIPLE TIMES EOL DOES NOOT MEAN DISCONTINUED. It is in fact the Motorola Droid a855 that I saw on the sheet. Our verison rep was a little shocked but assured me that THE EOL IS FOR BEST BUY ONLY… he himself actually knew nothing about it. And as for 2.1 he told me to "give motorola a chance to make things right."

As for your best buy comments, yes, some blue shirts are high school kids but I'm on this forum as an employee am I not? I've rooted my phone, done custom roms, do all the things you as a high and mighty tech saavy person has done and I work at best buy. Aside from knowing phones as you so proudly seem to I know computers, cameras, tvs, and car audio. I can install a car stereo, fix computer issues, and I happen to be a professional photographer. So have a little respect please for your forum friends that do work for the blue, that's like saying everyone who works anywhere can be represented by a single employee. Not fair.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
I'd like to think that the $300 I dropped on my Droid is going to continue paying dividends for a while. I like the experience of the Droid.

Wouldn't we just look like fools if the Droid did meet an earlier death (um ... IPhone Killer ... what?).

Maybe we got Microsoft'd ... you know in the spirit of Windows ME before XP, or Vista before 7 ...

Then again, maybe we forum posters just speculate way too much .. go out and kill and IPhone!

The only problem with this phone is that they keep making "iPhone killers" which only add to the iPhones hype the Droid is better than my iPhone was but I would love some of the better iPhone features on it and even be able to talk on the phone while on the internet.
Droid-vs-iPhone.jpg

EbE404

Reaction score

LIKE I SAID BEFORE MULTIPLE TIMES EOL DOES NOOT MEAN DISCONTINUED. It is in fact the Motorola Droid a855 that I saw on the sheet. Our verison rep was a little shocked but assured me that THE EOL IS FOR BEST BUY ONLY… he himself actually knew nothing about it. And as for 2.1 he told me to "give motorola a chance to make things right."

As for your best buy comments, yes, some blue shirts are high school kids but I'm on this forum as an employee am I not? I've rooted my phone, done custom roms, do all the things you as a high and mighty tech saavy person has done and I work at best buy. Aside from knowing phones as you so proudly seem to I know computers, cameras, tvs, and car audio. I can install a car stereo, fix computer issues, and I happen to be a professional photographer. So have a little respect please for your forum friends that do work for the blue, that's like saying everyone who works anywhere can be represented by a single employee. Not fair.

Absolutely agree, and let's try to show a little respect for each other here. Generalizations like this are neither kind nor fair.

Regarding the EOL thing, CK and several other people have tried to explain it. Just because a retailer ceases to carry the product does not mean the product ceases to be.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Talking and browsing is a feature the carrier, in this case AT&T, has and is not hardware specific.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Yes I know that I would still like that on VZW.

You make sure to foot the bill to change the technology. It's not a simple on/off switch that so many people like to think it is.

Don't you think if Verizon could do it, they would have by now?

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
The bill is not my issue it would be theirs let them worry about the cost what else do millions of people pay them for hell they are getting about 3k from me alone every two years they can swing it.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
The bill is not my issue it would be theirs let them worry about the cost what else do millions of people pay them for hell they are getting about 3k from me alone every two years they can swing it.

Well your prays will be answered with the implementation of LTE. But phones that will handle voice and data simultaneously are probably at least a year away. As far as I know, a true standard for handling voice over LTE hasn't been established yet. There are several methods to do this with a couple of frontrunners, one of which Verizon backs. At launch, LTE will be data only. The time will come though.