Droid forums Android phone kickstarter.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I want your opinions DF members
so here's something I've been thinking about... we've said we would like a webtop style feature... but how about we go one step further... if we make the device powerful enough why not have a full ubuntu install for anyone that wants to use the lapdock feature, thereby making this phone into a true laptop.

if it's powerful enough it would be possible.

just think of the possibilities... you could run ubuntu with a wine environment and be able to play older PC games... hell you could probably run a win98 virtual machine and play older games... you'd have full laptop functionality word-processing etc etc I've seen the webtop hacks so it's possible and with enough ram and drive space it would be conceivable.

so what do Droidforums members think of this idea?

---If you seriously want to help with this then please PM me, I'm going to start tabulating a list of people who are interested---

Our Team of people (titles will be decided later)

Liftedplane
FoxKat
Drew96dawg
coderror
KoolBradeR

here is a list of possible specs... give your opinion on what you think would be good and why

Code:
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][B]Display[/B]: 
- size: 4.5" | 4.6" | 4.7 | 4.8"
- type: HD Super AMOLED Plus | LCD
- with scratch resistant and water proof coating
[B]Memory[/B]:
- RAM: 2GB - 4GB
- storage: 32 GB | 64 GB
[B]Camera[/B]:
- type: carl zeiss | nikon
- MPs: 13MP to 41MP
- Secondary front facing: yes
[B]Chipset[/B]:
- type: intel | Qualcomm | Nvidia
- frequency: 1.5 GHz to 2.0 GHz (dual core | quad core)
- GPU: Adreno | intel | Nvidia
[B]OS[/B]:
- Pure Google Android 4.1
[B]Battery[/B]:
- Size: 3000mAH+
[B]Body[/B]: Full Kevlar back[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][B]Additional: [/B]NFC chip?[/FONT][/SIZE]
here is my personal list of what I like

4.8" capacitive HD touchscreen with an absolute minimum bezel and NO capacitive touch buttons or otherwise. simple a screen and bezel
3300 mah battery
1.5 ghz quad core processor which would be completely overclockable... or who knows maybe the best dual core that stomps all current quad cores.
at LEAST 2gb of ram if not more.
32gb of built in memory with the option to put up to 64gb micro sd card
a full HD 12+ megapixel camera and as FFC with as high a res as possible
A FREAKING CAMERA BUTTON ON THE BOTTON RIGHT!!!! yes... why the hell did these developers get rid of this.... it needs to come back
a micro hdmi port... who knows maybe we could get googorola to license us webtop to use in the device, that would be cool
complete AOSP built with a completely unlocked bootloader so you can install whatever you want AOKP CM10 etc etc...
instead of charging the bazillions of dollars most manufacturers charge make only a little bit on each device, don't break even, and don't lose money,but definitely don't double the development cost.... like if it takes 200 to design the phone then sell it for 300 or 250
the best GPU out there, which allows us to play the best games... have controller support so that way we can play said games on our TV's
NFC? maybe... who knows.

While in the RAZR HD hangout thread I had an idea... How about instead of complaining about why the RAZR HD won't have enough ram out how the s3 isn't pretty enough. Why not get a team together and pull an ouya, get on kickstarter and build a seriously powerful Android phone using the Droid forums community.

However its best to test the waters on the in the forums.

Do who is interested in this i mean seriously interested.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

Last edited:

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I'm interested but im not sure how I could help.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about how if we got Google, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, and a host of others together to make The "1PHONE" (a little play on words there...), taking all the best from each, radios - Motorola, screen - Samsung and/or LG, GUI - Motorola and HTC - MotoSense or SenseBlur, Sony - Music Player, Apple/Nvidia - Graphic Engine (yeah, I know...Apple=traitor!), Intel/Qualcomm/Texas Instruments/Apple - Processor, and Google for the Android OS, what a phone it would be!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Good idea. Project decimation :)

Last edited:

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about how if we got Google, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, and a host of others together to make The "1PHONE" (a little play on words there...), taking all the best from each, radios - Motorola, screen - Samsung and/or LG, GUI - Motorola and HTC - MotoSense or SenseBlur, Sony - Music Player, Apple/Nvidia - Graphic Engine (yeah, I know...Apple=traitor!), Intel/Qualcomm/Texas Instruments/Apple - Processor, and Google for the Android OS, what a phone it would be!

And a Moto 3300mah battery:)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I support this. :)

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Yeah, but then Apple will sue all the others for being on the same project. They have a patent for using multiple manufacturers on the same device.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Who for cameras?

Canon or Nikon...preferably Nikon for closeup and portrait, Canon for telephoto.

Mother7.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Mother-of-All-L-Lenses.jsp

Last edited:
OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but then Apple will sue all the others for being on the same project. They have a patent for using multiple manufacturers on the same device.

God that's funny but true

Canon or Nikon...preferably Nikon for closeup and portrait, Canon for telephoto.

Mother7.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Mother-of-All-L-Lenses.jsp

I personally like Nikon, or anything with the proper Carl Zeiss optics.

What about for the screen? 4.8 seems to be a good size if done right.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

Last edited:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'd say 4.5 to 4.8 would be perfect.