Droid dropping my saved WiFi connection

OP
M

Matth3w

Well it isn't working. I'm back to 3G which sucks inside my house. Can't connect to my WiFi.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well it isn't working. I'm back to 3G which sucks inside my house. Can't connect to my WiFi.

I can connect and sometimes stay connected. It's just that every once in a while it drops the connection.

You know what's interesting, I had the same problem with my Blackberry Storm 2.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just to double check if you were trying the MAC address remember that the default setting on the router is "block listed" you have to change it to "allow only." Just saying, I know I've made that mistake a few times, lol. And double check the MAC you entered sometimes it seems to be case sensitive for some reason (though it shouldn't be).

OP
M

Matth3w

I don't know what you're talking about with the MAC...can you explain?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you're talking about with the MAC...can you explain?

On your router you can configure it to only allow certain computers/device to connect and use your network. This is called "MAC Filtering." It's generally considered a better practice (particularly for home/private use) because it's an added layer of security that makes in MUCH harder (though still possible) for unwanted people to gain access to your network.

Steps:
*If possible you should use a wired connection to your router to set this up.
1-Get your MAC address from your phone and other wireless devices (laptops ect.). On you phone this is found under settings>wireless & network>wi-fi settings>menu>advanced - it will look like the 00:21:5E:5A:5C:E2
2-Log into your router and goto wireless>wireless MAC Filter and select "Enable Wireless MAC Filter" and select "Permit ONLY PC's listed"
3-Select "edit MAC Filter list" and in the new window add your Droids (and other) MAC address
4-Save all changes and exit

Note that with this enabled you will have to add each of your devices to the list to allow them access. It is important that if you don't have a wired connection to your router that you add you current computers MAC address FIRST. Otherwise you will loose your connection to the router.

For your laptops and other devices do a quick google search for directions, it's normally easy. It's best to get the addresses off of the devices themselves (it's really easy). On Windows machines it can normally be found by going to your network connections and selecting your current network and then selecting 'Details' it will be shown as the "Physical Address"

Hope that helps. If it doesn't solve your connection problem at least your network will now be more secure.

OP
M

Matth3w

I might try that later...that shouldn't be a problem though...

dtrb

Reaction score
I've had this issue from day one. Got a thread here about it. Linksys router, WRT54G, AES, WPA2, still dropping. Never had any issue before I got the droid.

PhontomF

Reaction score
I've had this issue from day one. Got a thread here about it. Linksys router, WRT54G, AES, WPA2, still dropping. Never had any issue before I got the droid.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL and haven't had a problem with connecting to my droid. It's even passing through 2 walls w/o issue. Using WPA2 w/ TKIP & AES on channel 6.

OP
M

Matth3w

Since I changed to channel 7, AES security, and WPA2 it seems to be holding. Everyone try that and see if it works

roadrash

Reaction score
Next time it drops...try just changing one of your security settings so that your phone reconnects. Then change it back to the settings you were finding didn't work just before. If you're having same issue as me, you'll find that any of the encryption options, channels, or whatever you might have tried changing all work fine. The phone and the your particular router just don't play nice. I've just given up on it since 3G is great in my apartment. Still irks me though...but I'm not going back to my 3 year old LG enV...otherwise this phone kicks ass.

kwattro

Reaction score
Perfect

Well I wish I could specifically block Wireless Networks from even being seen on my phone...perhaps my neighbor's router is tricking the phone or something.

For now I made a couple of adjustments from that other thread to see if I can resolve the problem (so far, so good...about 99% since posting this thread):

- Changed the security to WPA2 Personal (only)
- Changed the channel to 7
- Changed WPA algorithms to AES

Settings worked like a charm
Thanks