Droid dosn't like the cold?

Big Cam

Reaction score
Here's an article from popular mechanics.

Can Cold Weather Damage Cell Phones? - Frozen Gadget Test - Popular Mechanics

There is probably a shut off built into the firmware OS that will turn it off before hand. Also wind you take into effect that it was windy that could also take more of the radiant heat away.
That was a cool article. It recently was -30 where I am and I had my BB in my jeans pocket and I snowblowed for about an hour ans it was slow but everything still worked.

i think this is just a cell phone/cold issue, nothing wrong with the droid,.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
hmmm...i was in utah two weeks ago snowboarding. and it was snowing and my phone works fine. i was taking pictures and texting even though my fingers almost frozed off. LOL i believe the temp was around 20+-...i had it in my front pocket of my snowboarding jacket but i had another jacket under it. so the phone was no where near my body heat.

Attachments

• 2009-12-30 10.54.17.jpg
    2009-12-30 10.54.17.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 2009-12-30 11.56.06.jpg
    2009-12-30 11.56.06.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 188

twistedfate

Reaction score
i had the same problems.this

this happened to me twice. i never knew why til i look up this forum. I leave my phone on the floor next to me in my room when i sleep. I sleep in the basement and the temp can get down to 15 degrees. From now on i will try leaving the phone on the bed to see if that will help.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Well I snowboarded for 3 hours last weekend and left the phone in my jacket while on the mountain. The temp at the base of the mountain was 17 degrees and at the summit a whopping 12. No issues. I periodically took it out to see if I missed any calls or texts after a run and never had an issue.

I have noticed however that if my fingers are ice cold, the screen thing just isn't happening.