DROID Doesn't... do IRC

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Is anyone else irritated that Verizon blocks IRC traffic? It's not like I need to use IRC, I'm just bothered that I'm not allowed to.

Sleeve

Reaction score
All ports, or just the 666x's? It's been almost a decade since I've been on IRC. Does anything legal happen there any more? I should go collect a few trout slaps.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Is anyone else irritated that Verizon blocks IRC traffic? It's not like I need to use IRC, I'm just bothered that I'm not allowed to.

Have they ever stated a specfic reason as to why it's blocked? I didn't think just chatting in irc generated that much data traffic? though I suppose compared to text or instant messenger, there is more constant data traffic especially in large rooms with people constantly chattering.

Or it could be they just want people to use text messaging so they make more money..... I dunno.

Though at least from my personal experience the only two reasons I ever saw for irc in general were 1. developer chats about software and 2. pirated software (which could potentialy be another reason they block it?)

yes I know there are other reasons people use it, but a large chunk that I've seen has been in pirating things, anime, music, software...etc

Plus your post title kind of bugs me a bit lol. the droid DOES, but verizon doesn't.... that's a small but significant difference.

JoeyNWZ

Reaction score
They block IRC ports because quite a bit of trojans were/are using those ports to communicate...

That being said, SSL connections to IRC work fine, I use Android IRC and can connect to every IRC network via SSL fine.

OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Plus your post title kind of bugs me a bit lol. the droid DOES, but verizon doesn't.... that's a small but significant difference.

Ok, true - it's verizon and not the phone itself - but it was Verizon that has the "Droid Does" campaign and tried to change their image. Verizon was previously well-known as a company that crippled their phones and services, and this new leaf was supposed to be all about openness and freedom of use. Net Neutrality - So long as I'm not breaking their terms of service or any laws, they should not be discriminating against any type of traffic.

As for the other question - as far as I know, they haven't oficially acknowledged the IRC blocking. But IRC works fine over WiFi and not at all over 3G, so that is a pretty large finger pointing.

OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
They block IRC ports because quite a bit of trojans were/are using those ports to communicate...

On a PC, sure... but I've never heard of a botnet of cell phones. communicating via IRC.

JGard

Reaction score
wait what? I paid for an Android IRC app and it's been working great for me. No connection problems, nothing. It's a custom server but on port 6667. I'm also only on 3G, I leave wi-fi disabled on my phone at all times.

JoeyNWZ

Reaction score
Jgard, are you sure you are using WiFi? I have the same experience as Se7enLC, in regards to the standard IRC ports being blocked...

But as I have already said, SSL connections work fine, so I dont have a problem... P2p-Net, EfNet, UnderNet, IRCNet, DALNet all have servers that support SSL.

Edit:
To answer your question Se7enLC, I believe its a blanket block on those ports, since PCs use the same connection for wireless broadband.

Last edited:

thelion

Reaction score
I....don't know what IRC is but it sounds like it is blocked because it is used for unsafe activities. And if it can happen to a computer - it can happen to a phone. Maybe it hasn't yet but I bet it can.

And...what the heck is IRC?

JGard

Reaction score
yes, Wifi has been disabled on my phone since day 1. Nevermind that my office doesn't even offer wifi and I've been on IRC from my desk numerous times. On top of that, I also don't believe I connect via SSL...but I'm not able to figure it out now that the server has been set up in the app.

Also as a note, I do not have that $45/mo. data plan for corporations, I have the standard $30/mo data plan

Anomander

Reaction score
I use Andchat and IRC works just fine on my droid. I connect to port 6667 and 7000 and hell I use IRC on home with verizon DSL and have no problems with it. What servers are you trying to connect to? I use Undernet and everything seems to be fine there.
EDIT: I am also able to use it on 3G or WiFi

Last edited:

JoeyNWZ

Reaction score
I wonder if it is location based, I'm in new york and can ONLY connect via SSL to any network..

CKyle22

Reaction score
I've only been unable to connect to P2P-Network via 3G. Even with SSL.

Everywhere else is fine though.