Droid car charger issue, not charging when running hot

tplant98

Reaction score
I ran into an issue with my Droid this weekend. I was using the Google Navigation, car docking station, and using a Motorola car charger.

I noticed after using it for a while (30 minutes to an hour), it stopped charging, and the battery started to drain. When I took the droid off the docking station it was REALLY hot. The sun was shining and the phone was in the sun.

After letting it cool down out of the sun on the dash, I tried re-plugging it back in and it would charge again.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Thanks for your help and have a nice day..

pjo1966

Reaction score
I had that problem when I was renting a Kia Rondo. When I was back in my Mini Cooper, the problem was gone. I think it might have to do with how securely the lighter adapter is pushed in. In the Kia, it never seemed to be in very well, but it's much more secure in the Mini.

TiberiusX

Reaction score
I had the same problem on a trip from Charlotte to Atlanta wasn't paying attention to notice that the phone had died. Only realized it when the guy with me said "hey, isn't that the exit we are supposed to take?", just as we passed it. By the time we got to the next exit the Droid had cooled down enought to start charging again and we resumed navigation.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just recently on the way to SoCal. running two GPS apps and the music player, in the sun... had the same issue.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I've had this happen in multiple vehicles. I've found that using the task killer to stop the stuff I'm not using usually fixes the problem. Some may argue that the background tasks aren't using any resources, but this fix has worked every time for me.

mrredskin

Reaction score
i have a feeling this is going to be a big issue in the coming months when temperatuers rise. if you've ever used a radar detector then you know how hot they can get during the summer and it can really f up your equipment. if you're on a stretch of road for a good hour or so, i'd take the droid off the mount so it's not exposed to any direct sunlight.