Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
deleted by me

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting phones is like overclocking PC's.

Look how long thats been around and ppl that overclock PC's is still a small percentage to the average user, and thats with overclocking software and BIOS's getting easier each year.

It remains popular because its a good phone out the box, with good software, and advertising.

I posted something similar in another forum, look at the Droid X1 forum section.

Compare that to Fascinate section. Rooting, complete custom ROMs dont really increase or decrease activity in those sections. Even compared to the Incredible section, the Droid X1 section is still bigger. And the Droid X1 's bootloader is locked tighter than those 2.

Then look at the Nexus 1 and Nexus S. Two phones consider straight up dev phones...and look at sales and popularity of those phones for the general public.

One difference between those phones and the Droid 1? Advertising.

And going by our own personal experiences, I know 3 ppl with Android phones, and they dont know the first thing about rooting or if they know dont care about it. One person is an IT type person so they may know but dont care.

Rooting, custom ROMs is nice, but it doesnt make or break a phone as far as sales and popularity.

Now, I hope theres gonna be pre orders for the Bionic in July. I dont think I can get this sight unseen like I did with the Droid X1.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Actually you are off topic. Why a release date thread devolves into a bootloader thread is beyond me. This thread is on wether or not the Bionic will be released on August 4th. Nothing to do with the bootloader. It seems we can't keep the discussions apart for some reason. But you're going to have to try harder. So....let's everyone read the thread title, realize what we're supposed to be talking about and move on. More discussions on if the bootloader should be unlocked need to be elsewhere. If not, this thread will be closed.

sent from somewhere...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no problem, seems odd that other threads can stray a little here and there but no worries...consider mine all deleted...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
no problem, seems odd that other threads can stray a little here and there but no worries...consider mine all deleted...

There's straying and then there's being off topic. I cannot fathom how a discussion on the release date can become a discussion on the bootloader and rooting and do forth...that is more than straying.

I happened upon this one. Can't monitor them all.

sent from somewhere...

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
August 4th would be a good release. I am hoping for 8/4/11 on the Bionic, (which I probably will get) and maybe an early September release for the Galaxy S2 for Verizon.

Anything to steal some iPhone 5 sales!! Which the specs of these two phones should keep anyone with half a brain away from the IP5.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

There's straying and then there's being off topic. I cannot fathom how a discussion on the release date can become a discussion on the bootloader and rooting and do forth...that is more than straying.

I happened upon this one. Can't monitor them all.

sent from somewhere...

As I said...No Problems... I will look for the Bionic's release August 4th...WITH or WITHOUT locked bootloader, I 'can' work with either :dry:....Just looking forward to it finally being released so that I can tweak the crud out of it...;)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can we get back on topic here? Alright so the reason we have August 4th is because of the picture. Was that leaked from a Verizon computer or somewhere else?

Who knows? These leaks come out every day haha. I believe it when Verizon says it. They've never been wrong, yet!

Lately Verizon has been taking a habit of not saying anything until just before release. That's why I'm curious to know where the picture is from.

yeah i know what you mean, the not knowing for certain is pretty annoying, but i dont really put too much weight in the rumors, they're usually hit or miss. the original picture was from androidcentral, where they got it from i have no idea. either way august 4th is not too far away, and if its sooner i wont complain about that either! haha

LadyAngler

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Been patiently waiting for this phone. My D1 is almost useless as any alert makes it stay on and the battery dies in about an hour. August 4th or not, I'm in. Good to finally see some kind of release date though.

You've killed your D1! Omg! Musta been all that flashing lol. Hope bionic comes for you soon. :)

~¤~Sent by a Bolt aka Angry Bird Slayer~¤~

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
lol.. yeah I hurt it. It also has a fun habit of just locking up about 3 times a day. Have to pull the battery.

Also, to MBK.. thanks!.. and yes it is. That's why I am basically never here anymore.

My plan was to get the Bionic and then sneak in and make a theme under the radar once it gets rooted and ROM'd.

Vito.a

Reaction score
This list for the Bionic release on Aug 4th is starting to look real.

We now know that orders for the Droid 3 started today and it will indeed be in stores Jul 14th just like the list says. So Aug 4 is looking very credible.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Considering the fact that I live in Nebraska and we won't get 4G LTE most likely till the end of 2011 or even by 2013.. should I ever bother waiting for the Droid Bionic or just settle for the Droid 3? If I had 4G this would definitely be an upgrade for my OG Droid, but since I don't have it and likely will not for a while should I just go for the D3? Because I am a big fan of the physical keyboard. And if I can't have 4G, that might make up for it in some ways.

MS3G35

Reaction score

We now know that orders for the Droid 3 started today and it will indeed be in stores Jul 14th just like the list says. So Aug 4 is looking very credible.
I tend to agree with this. And if it comes out and isn't any better then the D3 or it doesn't come out and we get confirmation that it isn't better then the D3 then I'll prob pick the D3 up instead. And it will have been out for 3 weeks or so and any bugs that the D3 might have will hopefully be fixed...:)

jayman350

Reaction score

I tend to agree with this. And if it comes out and isn't any better then the D3 or it doesn't come out and we get confirmation that it isn't better then the D3 then I'll prob pick the D3 up instead. And it will have been out for 3 weeks or so and any bugs that the D3 might have will hopefully be fixed...:)

yeah umm I wouldn't hold your breath on Moto and VZW fixing any issue that would arise in the first couple of weeks after the phone is released.

You should be aware of any issues at that time, but I would highly doubt that they would fix anything that quickly. Hell, VZW is still working on a fix of a fix for TB owners, the original update broke stuff and they still can't fix it.

Very much looking forward to getting to see a Bionic in person, I'm really going to weigh my options heavily on this next upgrade.