Droid Bionic Lapdock?

Verro84

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has purchased it or know someone who has? Wanna know if it's worth buying?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Batman8

Reaction score
I just decided to buy one a few days ago, now that it's at least $100 less than when it launched back in Sept. I'll say that it's pretty light and thin, but should open up to a wider angle for viewing. It has 2 USB ports for a mouse, etc. but does not seem to work for anything else like mounting flash drives or anything. The keyboard feels comfortable and the touchpad can be quickly turned on/off with a couple of taps. It plays movies pretty well, has stereo sound, and looks good but does not work with NFL mobile just so you know, but it does work great with sites like Hulu for TV shows & movies.

It gives you a low memory error if you open too many tabs or windows at one time which drives me crazy. I usually keep 11-12 tabs open in Firefox on my desktop version but found that I could only keep about 4 open for a while on the Lapdock before getting the low memory error again which will shut Firefox down causing you to have to re-launch it.

It also has it's own version of Firefox (a desktop version) so it allows you to surf as a desktop machine instead of a mobile device. This was one of the things that peaked my interest because it makes it much easier to directly install some third party apps from web pages that block mobile devices from downloading.

One thing that's also really nice about it is that it has a long lasting battery and whenever the phone is docked, it's also being charged, so you know that your phone will always be 100% charged when taking it off the Lapdock...making it a very nice (although expensive) charger that plays great movies and surfs the net.

Therefore, overall I would rate it about 7.5/10

***Correction - USB Flash Drives CAN be mounted depending on the formatting***

OP
Verro84

Verro84

Reaction score
There out of stock online now it sucks i was gonna order 1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BobDog437

Reaction score
Definitely go for the Lapdock 100, or 500. They are less than the Bionic Lapdock and are more versatile. Verizon does list them as Razr only, but Motorola shows it is for the Bionic, Atrix 2, Electrify, Photon 4G and upcoming phones. The Verizon stores did not have them, as I got mine when the Razr came out. I ordered it from Verizon online and had it in 2 days. Used the $100 phone trade-in credit and it cost me $60 extra, with tax.

mikespe

Reaction score
I have the Lapdock 100 and love it! I use it mostly at work for meetings or when I need to get to sites my work blocks (Facebook/Twitter)...I also take notes on it at meetings and it's great when I need to send the minutes from various meetings out to other staff members...I can do it right there & not have to go home/work where I have internet access...the phone gives me that! It is a bit slow at times & sometimes You have to open/close the lid a few times to get it to turn on (There's no on/off button...just plug phone in & open the lid/screen!)....

I hear that one of the next updates for the Bionic/Razr will also have a webtop update as well so it will give you a few more options...I hope they allow you to create a shortcut to apps on your phone right on the webtop...makes it easier to get to the most used apps...Overall I think it was a great investment for $200 (and I hear some are getting them for $150 now!)

Ragaon

Reaction score
Memory issues

www.1saleaday.com has them for 79.99 today, I just ordered ine and can't wait to get it!

I received mine from 1saleaday on Wednesday and started playing with it. I found that the memory problem is a huge issue. I am only able to open 1-2 tabs before getting the memory error, then Firefox shuts down. I only have a few apps open on the Bionic, but it constantly shows 55% and above memory utilization. It would be nice if the microSD card were utilized for memory in this case since it can't be used to install apps anyway.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
you're talkin about two different kinds of memory... you can't use sd card physical memory to help your RAM keep up with too many processes... i always see these threads talking about low memory while using the lapdock and i wonder if i'm doing something way different... i've never seen this on my lapdock... i don't even know what the warning would look like... but then again i'm always doing things to keep my phone running fast... i don't use cheap crappy apps that constantly run in the background... i reboot my phone in the morning when i wake up just to keep it snappy... and i don't expect a lapdock to be a laptop... this thing ain't gonna keep up with all kinds of stuff going on... you can't run three apps AND six widgets AND live wallpapers AND a custom launcher AND all the background processes for syncing facebook and twitter and foursquare AND try to keep four browser pages running on firefox... it's just a phone... with limits.. but it works great if you understand these limits and what it takes to maximize them