Droid Bionic Global ready?

PureBlue0229

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Droid Bionic or Samsung Function will be global ready? I've heard nothing on the subject about either phone.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Droid Bionic or Samsung Function will be global ready? I've heard nothing on the subject about either phone.

If im not mistaken lte phones have sim card slots... not global savvy but i assumed that makes it gsm capable right?

charger94

Reaction score
The droid 3 has an interesting sim card. Its half verizon for the US and half vodafone for gsm networks. I hope its the same with the bionic...

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums

creaky

Reaction score

If im not mistaken lte phones have sim card slots... not global savvy but i assumed that makes it gsm capable right?

My understanding is it not. I contacted Moto about the Etna version of the Bionic and they said it was not global ready. I hope the new one is but I'm skeptical.

sent from my Cyanogenmodded X

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. LTE uses a sim card because it's a sort of evolution of GSM but they aren't compatible so no global use just by sticking in regular unlocked sim. LTE is at a different bandwith from global GSM anyways.

spider210

Reaction score
No. LTE uses a sim card because it's a sort of evolution of GSM but they aren't compatible so no global use just by sticking in regular unlocked sim. LTE is at a different bandwith from global GSM anyways.

you sir are correct

Vito.a

Reaction score
Regardless, Verizon will loan you a free global phone if you let them know a few days before you travel. All you have to pay is shipping.

Java

Reaction score
Regardless, Verizon will loan you a free global phone if you let them know a few days before you travel. All you have to pay is shipping.

Yeah I'd loan someone a phone too if they paid an extra $100 a month to get data...

natedlee

Reaction score
I hear, YES

I know everyone is saying no, but I have heard, emphatically, that the Droid Bionic 4G will indeed be global-ready. I have not been able to confirm this (hence finding this forum post), but I sure am hoping the answer is yes b/c I am making the switch from iPhone to Android and specifically waiting for a global-ready 4G phone on Verizon.

I don't know about the Samsung Function, but it would be awesome to have a couple of options.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I know everyone is saying no, but I have heard, emphatically, that the Droid Bionic 4G will indeed be global-ready. I have not been able to confirm this (hence finding this forum post), but I sure am hoping the answer is yes b/c I am making the switch from iPhone to Android and specifically waiting for a global-ready 4G phone on Verizon.

I don't know about the Samsung Function, but it would be awesome to have a couple of options.

Well, going by the FCC documents, I don't think it will be. I did seem mention that it will be locked for carriers in the US but that it had a WCDMA/GSM radio. I'm not exactly sure what that means....

barski

Reaction score
if its 4g i don't see global roaming as an option.