Droid Bionic 1gz processor?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well thought out post GBH2. I guess you make some good points. We were all hoping for the Bionic because it's the only dual core LTE we know of and it's coming out soon. I guess we all just wished they could have released it already.

And I definitely agree. I think we'll be perfectly fine with the OMAP 4430. Hopefully since it's so close to the end of the year, Moto will unlock the bootloader on this so we can really customize it. I still think the term "Droid" should refer to stock android but the new Blur doesn't seem bad so I guess I'll deal with it.

droidrenegade

Reaction score
Well it is coming we just have to wait a little longer lets just hope it is everything its cracked up to be

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
It wasn't delayed. It was just a rumor that it was coming out in August.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

September isn't a summer release. I don't care if the last day of summer is the 23, no one considers September "summer." If anything, they could have said "late summer" instead of just of just summer.

Besides, now would be the perfect time to release it instead of waiting on more competition to appear from Samsung, Apple, (maybe) HTC.

All these companies are still at the mercy of advancements in technology and the design and manufacturing process. Some people are saying how bad Motorola is for not getting this out sooner, but they are still (most likely)beating everyone else to the release of a dual-core LTE phone. If Samsung, Apple, HTC or Motorola could have released a dual-core LTE phone a month ago they would have.

There have not been delays in releasing the Targa, only incorrect rumors and speculation which got everyone's hopes up.

Although, technically Motorola will be releasing this phone while it is still summer, you do make a reasonable point that their vagueness helped to create an untrue expectation in consumers interested in this product. I am willing to bet they knew what they were doing - I bet they were upset that they had to cancel Etna and about the lost revenue, and they felt that to say nothing or to say September a few months ago would have caused them to lose a lot more potential customers. If you look at it dispassionately, no matter how annoyed some people are right now, Motorola probably made the correct choice.

If you take a look at the FCC documents, there is a specific document called "battery door report". In that document it says that they tested the Bionic's processor all the way up to 5 GHz. Crazy!

They could only get it up to 5GHz because the battery died right after LOL.

That is why I would not try to run it at 5.0GHz on a daily basis! LOL ... at least not without carrying around a liquid cooling system for the CPU and a car battery to run it. :)

This does go to show that the OMAP CPU is a pretty impressive and capable CPU and why I say not to worry about the actual "shipped" clock speed. However, I do want to see evidence that we are going to be able to install custom kernels on this thing ( ~ unlock the bootloader)

So, since the D3 has the same processor, we might be able to get it at least up to 2 gHZ stable?

Sorry, I am not the smartest when it comes to the gHZ. lol

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
5Ghz is not even possible on air cooled PC CPU's at full load. Somehow I doubt that CPU didn't melt if they honestly had it at 5Ghz for more than a few milliseconds. My i7920 chip hits 100C+ overclocked to 4.2Ghz with the best heatsink you can purchase with a 100CFM Fan, do you really think this phone chip will do anything close to that without active cooling and a heat sink the size of a quarter?

You might be looking at 1.8-2.0Ghz overclocked, but I bet the battery dies in 2-3 hours.

fly2hip8

Reaction score
5Ghz is not even possible on air cooled PC CPU's at full load. Somehow I doubt that CPU didn't melt if they honestly had it at 5Ghz for more than a few milliseconds. My i7920 chip hits 100C+ overclocked to 4.2Ghz with the best heatsink you can purchase with a 100CFM Fan, do you really think this phone chip will do anything close to that without active cooling and a heat sink the size of a quarter?

You might be looking at 1.8-2.0Ghz overclocked, but I bet the battery dies in 2-3 hours.

These are two totally different CPUs. The phone CPU will have a whole lot less thermal load.

And, if u let your PC CPU hit 100C+ you might as well say good bye to it. Electromigration will kill your CPU at that temperature.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
It wasn't delayed. It was just a rumor that it was coming out in August.

September isn't a summer release. I don't care if the last day of summer is the 23, no one considers September "summer." If anything, they could have said "late summer" instead of just of just summer.

Besides, now would be the perfect time to release it instead of waiting on more competition to appear from Samsung, Apple, (maybe) HTC.

All these companies are still at the mercy of advancements in technology and the design and manufacturing process. Some people are saying how bad Motorola is for not getting this out sooner, but they are still (most likely)beating everyone else to the release of a dual-core LTE phone. If Samsung, Apple, HTC or Motorola could have released a dual-core LTE phone a month ago they would have.

There have not been delays in releasing the Targa, only incorrect rumors and speculation which got everyone's hopes up.

Although, technically Motorola will be releasing this phone while it is still summer, you do make a reasonable point that their vagueness helped to create an untrue expectation in consumers interested in this product. I am willing to bet they knew what they were doing - I bet they were upset that they had to cancel Etna and about the lost revenue, and they felt that to say nothing or to say September a few months ago would have caused them to lose a lot more potential customers. If you look at it dispassionately, no matter how annoyed some people are right now, Motorola probably made the correct choice.

If you take a look at the FCC documents, there is a specific document called "battery door report". In that document it says that they tested the Bionic's processor all the way up to 5 GHz. Crazy!

They could only get it up to 5GHz because the battery died right after LOL.

That is why I would not try to run it at 5.0GHz on a daily basis! LOL ... at least not without carrying around a liquid cooling system for the CPU and a car battery to run it. :)

This does go to show that the OMAP CPU is a pretty impressive and capable CPU and why I say not to worry about the actual "shipped" clock speed. However, I do want to see evidence that we are going to be able to install custom kernels on this thing ( ~ unlock the bootloader)

+++++1 ^^^^^^^ Thank You!!!! Someone with sense!!!!

GBH2

Reaction score

Yeah, 5GHz for a phone CPU is pretty funny. :) I am sure they were just checking the effects of the CPU running away on the device and the em fields. But it is interesting and I am amazed they even got to 5GHz without frying it. You are of course absolutely right it could not sustain that.

This is why the unlocked bootloader is so important. IF we can OC to 1.8GHz or 2.0GHz, which I think likely, it would have adverse effects as far as power draw and heat without a custom kernel. But having it idle at 250MHz and bump to 2.0GHz for a short time when needed would be great.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

These are two totally different CPUs. The phone CPU will have a whole lot less thermal load.

And, if u let your PC CPU hit 100C+ you might as well say good bye to it. Electromigration will kill your CPU at that temperature.

i7 chips were tested at 140C for over 1000 hours before they were sent into production. Sorry to break it to ya.

Idle temps are in the low 40C. Since I've been building wafers for Intel for the last 3 years, I'll take my word for it.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

i7 chips were tested at 140C for over 1000 hours before they were sent into production. Sorry to break it to ya.

Idle temps are in the low 40C. Since I've been building wafers for Intel for the last 3 years, I'll take my word for it.

intel makes cookies? I bet they're delicious

das2042

Reaction score
I hope they're sugar free

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums