Droid Battery life?

Reaction score
I charged my Droid on Wednesday day the 23rd before we left for the in-laws. I didn't charge it again until Sunday night the 27th when we got back.
This included talking a lot on the phone and sending text messages. The occasional internet search for a phone number as well.

Edit to say this is turning it off every night when I am sleeping

kwebbers

Reaction score
I am concerned that my battery may have issues. Plugged in all night, I am up at 6 am with a full battery. Texts (heavy, about 150/day), a few phone calls, email and some app surfing - or some variation - I am down to 30% battery life left by 11 am. No matter what.

Phone plugged into the trickle charger on my laptop barely gives the phone enough charge to maintain the 30% throughout the rest of the day, so I remain tethered to a laptop just to keep enough juice in my phone for the drive home in the evening.

By the sounds of it this is not a normal experience, I believe I will be stopping by to swap a battery out later today...

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Make sure you don't have some app running that's killing your battery. I had the same experience for one day only until I found out that it was my accuweather widget trying to download data constantly.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I am concerned that my battery may have issues. Plugged in all night, I am up at 6 am with a full battery. Texts (heavy, about 150/day), a few phone calls, email and some app surfing - or some variation - I am down to 30% battery life left by 11 am. No matter what.

Phone plugged into the trickle charger on my laptop barely gives the phone enough charge to maintain the 30% throughout the rest of the day, so I remain tethered to a laptop just to keep enough juice in my phone for the drive home in the evening.

By the sounds of it this is not a normal experience, I believe I will be stopping by to swap a battery out later today...

Turn off GPS, wifi and bluetooth when you aren't using them. The power widget makes this pretty easy.

Some apps can really drain the battery if they are constantly communicating from the phone even when not in use.

Streaming radio kills it pretty quickly too.

Auto-Brightness is no help to battery life either. Turn it off if you can.

TBV

Reaction score
I've read some great advice from the folks in this thread regarding the techniques used to preserve battery life, one of the most useful is of course the Power Widget...

Also, I would suggets d-loading the Advanced Task Mangaer app, it allows you to quickly view all apps that are running, turn off what you do not want/need on, as well as quickly delete any apps you no longer want on the device.

As to the charging overnight thing: as a Verizon employee, I have from time to time had people come into the store complaining about their battery not holding a charge (this is for all phones, not just smartphones) on a device that they have had for only 6 months to one year...the 1st thing I do is take out the battery and attempt to spin it on the counter, and if it spins, it is swelled, which usually means it has been overcharged.

I then ask the customer if they have been charging the phone overnight, and the answer is always 'yes'.

I have read through just about every users manual on damn near every device, and have never come across one that states there is a 'auto shut down' in regards to charging on the phones..I had one tech tell me that Blackberry's have a 'trickle mode' when the batter reaches full charge and is still connected to the charger, but I never found that info anywhere.

If someone has come across info that says otherwise please share it, however in the meantime, I would suggest not charging a phone overnight.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I've read some great advice from the folks in this thread regarding the techniques used to preserve battery life, one of the most useful is of course the Power Widget...

Also, I would suggets d-loading the Advanced Task Mangaer app, it allows you to quickly view all apps that are running, turn off what you do not want/need on, as well as quickly delete any apps you no longer want on the device.

As to the charging overnight thing: as a Verizon employee, I have from time to time had people come into the store complaining about their battery not holding a charge (this is for all phones, not just smartphones) on a device that they have had for only 6 months to one year...the 1st thing I do is take out the battery and attempt to spin it on the counter, and if it spins, it is swelled, which usually means it has been overcharged.

I then ask the customer if they have been charging the phone overnight, and the answer is always 'yes'.

I have read through just about every users manual on damn near every device, and have never come across one that states there is a 'auto shut down' in regards to charging on the phones..I had one tech tell me that Blackberry's have a 'trickle mode' when the batter reaches full charge and is still connected to the charger, but I never found that info anywhere.

If someone has come across info that says otherwise please share it, however in the meantime, I would suggest not charging a phone overnight.

Interesting. I didn't think you could hurt the battery in this phone by overcharging, but I've found the phone is usually fully charged in about an hour to an hour and a half. If anyone is worried, they could just charge it for that hour or so before bedtime (or before they leave the house in the morning), get a full charge and not have to worry about overcharging.

Weezy

Reaction score
This is my first smartphone but before I got it at the Verizon store I specifically asked the Verizon rep if I could overcharge it and she said with these new litho batteries that you cannot overcharge.

That's what I was told, not saying it is true, just what I was told by the Verizon rep.

rayswift

Reaction score
I usually go 3 to 4 days before I have to charge my Droid. I mainly use it to text and make phone calls. But I use the Facebook app constantly, occaisionally use the browser, and on a daily basis check my e-mail. Haven't used it to play games yet though...very tempted!

whaaa? I basically do the same thing you do. Maybe browse and download apps but my droid battery will light up yellow after doing that for about 1 1/2 hours. I also tend to have a habit of always clicking my advanced task killer after Im down doing something so thats like every 2 minutes. something up with my battery guys?

FlipBack

Reaction score
Depending on use and settings, my mileage varies between 4 days to 1. It has never died on me halfway through a day, so if you charge it every night while you sleep you should be good to go.

naman919

Reaction score
Please Help

I know there are several battery life threads, so i decided to piggy-back onto this one.

Here is my dilemma. My Droid is running 2.1 and other than Home++, i use Advanced Task Killer to regulate running apps.

My GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth and screen are all off (or dimmed for the screen) and I'm getting 7-8 hours of battery life.

Saturday I took it off the charger at 9am and by 4pm it was completely dead. I made about three 2 minute phone calls and sent ~20 texts. I used it to surf the web for maybe 30-45 total over that span.

No other apps are connected and running that are pulling data. Here is a screenshot of my battery usage (the sportstap app was just opened to check a basketball game). Also, i have screen timeout set to 30 seconds. The battery level was 5-10% at this point.

I already went in last week to verizon and got a replacement battery, but i'm starting to think it's hardware related. I'm going to return it if this is way out of the norm. My blackberry Storm and Tour lasted waaaaaaaay longer with much heavier use.

I realize the screen is double the resolution but this is ridiculous. It's yet to last a full day or even 12 hours!

It will die on standby if not plugged in overnight. That just seems wrong. Please comment and help me decide what to do. Thanks!

Last edited:

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I got perfect battery out of mines but recently I have been getting crappy battery lately but I dunno if its just me looking at the meter or not lol
But today it seems pretty good though. But then again I charge when im sleeping/incar/at desk at work.
I rarely have a moment when I won't have the charger.

naman919

Reaction score
I got perfect battery out of mines but recently I have been getting crappy battery lately but I dunno if its just me looking at the meter or not lol
But today it seems pretty good though. But then again I charge when im sleeping/incar/at desk at work.
I rarely have a moment when I won't have the charger.

Bump.

Thanks for your input but i'm interested in how long people are getting out of a single charge. See my post above this last one please!

Can someone else please make a recommendation? I need some input here.

I hate to repost what i just said or start yet ANOTHER battery life thread.

Deadamn323

Reaction score
mine used to drain fast overnight after getting Home++. aafter the home++ update the phone is fine. before i go to bed i run the advance task killer to close any apps running in the background.

naman919

Reaction score
How long does it take to 80%, 100% by times?

Drains at what appears to be a linear pace. 6-7ish hours and it's at 80% then the last hour or so it hits the 15% critical message.

mine used to drain fast overnight after getting Home++. aafter the home++ update the phone is fine. before i go to bed i run the advance task killer to close any apps running in the background.

Up to date on my apps, but thanks for that suggestion.