Droid as PowerPoint remote - not through wireless router

loudaccord

Reaction score
my laptop doesn't have bluetooth and I don't have a wifi connection to the internet. Is there an app which I can use to wireless tether my laptop and droid so i can use it as a remote? I tried gmote, universal remote and one other but they all require a wireless router.

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would imagine they'd have to be on the same sort of network (in this case wifi) in order to work with one another. Since you won't have any signal from the laptop to the phone, no possible way...

OP
L

loudaccord

Reaction score
I would imagine they'd have to be on the same sort of network (in this case wifi) in order to work with one another. Since you won't have any signal from the laptop to the phone, no possible way...

I might have worded it wrong, I have wifi on my computer but there is no internet access. The remote apps I've tried require you to be connected to a router. I was thinking if I could connect directly to my phone via wifi(like the wireless tether app), that might work.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No i understood what you meant, but since you have no wifi access, you have no connection.

you have no bluetooth, no connection
IR is impossible on droid and i doubt you have it on your laptop, so no connection

I don't know much about wireless tethering since i use a usb connection, but I dont think it works that way. Since you'd be sending out your 3g signal i don't think the phone could work as a remote, but I could be wrong.

dast

Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly, we've got a computer (more specifically a laptop?) and a Droid, but no connection to the internet proper (ie no cable/dsl modem or router/wireless access point like most common household wifi setups)...? Am I understanding?

If so, my next question would be this: the laptop probably has built in wifi support (or perhaps you have a USB/PCMCIA wireless adaptor), so that if you *did* have a router/wap you *could* connect to the internet?

If so, couldn't an ad-hoc wifi network be setup between the laptop and Droid?

Hope I understood your parameters.

If not, or if things are more complicated, maybe you could buy a bluetooth adapter for the laptop/computer/whatever and find something that works that way?

I'd love to see if you can get something working.

OP
L

loudaccord

Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly, we've got a computer (more specifically a laptop?) and a Droid, but no connection to the internet proper (ie no cable/dsl modem or router/wireless access point like most common household wifi setups)...? Am I understanding?

If so, my next question would be this: the laptop probably has built in wifi support (or perhaps you have a USB/PCMCIA wireless adaptor), so that if you *did* have a router/wap you *could* connect to the internet?

If so, couldn't an ad-hoc wifi network be setup between the laptop and Droid?

Hope I understood your parameters.

If not, or if things are more complicated, maybe you could buy a bluetooth adapter for the laptop/computer/whatever and find something that works that way?

I'd love to see if you can get something working.

100% correct... I can use my Droid as a wireless hotspot with my computer connecting to it that way, I couldn't see why I couldn't just set up n ad-hoc wifi network between the two. The challenge is that none of the apps I've found support that.

My reason for inquiring is because I travel a lot for work and how sweet would it be to just pull out my Droid and use it to control my powerpoint slides from my phone during a presentation :)

I guess the easy answer is to just get a bluetooth adapter

dast

Reaction score
100% correct... I can use my Droid as a wireless hotspot with my computer connecting to it that way, I couldn't see why I couldn't just set up n ad-hoc wifi network between the two. The challenge is that none of the apps I've found support that.

My reason for inquiring is because I travel a lot for work and how sweet would it be to just pull out my Droid and use it to control my powerpoint slides from my phone during a presentation :)

I guess the easy answer is to just get a bluetooth adapter

Let us know how it turns out. It's a shame that none of the apps supported ad-hoc.

DanielC

Reaction score
bluetooth receivers are compact and cheap. best option for your needs IMO.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Have you considered setting up an ad-hoc wireless network on the laptop and then having the Droid join it? That would seem to be the simpler solution. You'll want to make it a secure network, of course, just to keep your audience from peeking into your laptop's shares.