Remote desktop through tethered laptop?

jemsoccer

Reaction score
Remote desktop to tethered laptop?

Ok, so I want to be able to tether my laptop to my phone - Easy! However, What I want to do next is be able to "remote desktop" into my tethered laptop. The IP address that the world sees is different than the IP address my computer sees (via ipconfig/all). I'm assuming there needs to be some kind of port forwarding thing going on? I am using the free version of pdanet. My assumption is this software works similar to a router and would need port forwarding to make this work?

If anyone has done this or knows of a different software/configuration, please let me know!

The reason for this is remote tuning of my car! A buddy of mine knows how to tune my car, but lives on the west coast. So I want him to be able to remote desktop into my laptop while I'm doing pulls in my car - hence remote tuning!

Last edited:
OP
J

jemsoccer

Reaction score
i would just set up logmein and use that.

www.logmein.com

It's a free service and should be fine for what your doing without any network headaches.

Running the remote desktop is not the problem, it is getting the access to my laptop through my phone. I can use the windows built in remote connection from another PC to do the remote desktop, but when I try to connect to my phone's IP address, the one that I see when going to sites like whatsmyipaddress.com, it doesn't work. The IP address my laptop is seeing (via ipconfig) is different than the outside IP address.

Unless there is something with logmein that I'm not seeing that will allow me to do this...

OP
J

jemsoccer

Reaction score
I use Easy Tether for the connection and Log Me In for the remote desktop. They are very secure and the free version of Log Me In is very feature rich.
Great combo.

This allows you to remote into a computer that is tethered from one that is not?

OP
J

jemsoccer

Reaction score
I have ran both the EasyTether and pdanet and did the "whatsmyipaddress.com" on both of them, and the IP is the same. Even going there with my phone on the 3G network, it has the same IP. So I guess this begs the question, do all phones have their own IP addresses that I should be able to just enter into a remote desktop software and connect to? If so, I still need to figure out the port forwarding issues to gain access to my laptop from my phone, as the phone is acting like a router.

OP
J

jemsoccer

Reaction score
Found a solution - NetMeeting!

Using netmeeting, I can simply tether to my phone, run netmeeting on my computer, and then call out to the computer I want to hook in to. This eliminates the need to figure out what my cell phones IP address is and how to hook to it. Not the solution I was originally thinking, but a solution non-the-less and probably way easier than anything else I could come up w/.

thehinduhustler

Reaction score
I think all of you are missing the point of jemsoccer's question. If I understand you correctly, you want to to be able to remotely login to your computer that is tethered to your cell phone from a computer outside of the network. The scenario this would create is that if you always had an internet connection provided to, say, your laptop provided by a cell phone... you would essentially have a mobile server that would host IIS and Remote Desktop Web Connection. So for all intents and purposes you could leave your laptop at home tethered to your cell phone, you could fly to another part of the world, hop on any computer that has internet access, type the url or ip address to your home laptop tethered to your cell phone, and gain access to your computer like you would if running Microsoft's Remote Desktop. Thus maintaining that you don't have to use any other third party services such as LogMeIn or Hamachi or NetMeeting... etc. The only problem is forcing the phone to forward the proper ports to allow remote access to the laptop.

Jemsoccer, I apologize that I couldn't provide a solution that would work for you but I would like to accomplish the same task, considering my long rant. Hopefully, if you get this we could work on establishing something that would work. Let me know what you find out.

OP
J

jemsoccer

Reaction score
I think all of you are missing the point of jemsoccer's question. If I understand you correctly, you want to to be able to remotely login to your computer that is tethered to your cell phone from a computer outside of the network. The scenario this would create is that if you always had an internet connection provided to, say, your laptop provided by a cell phone... you would essentially have a mobile server that would host IIS and Remote Desktop Web Connection. So for all intents and purposes you could leave your laptop at home tethered to your cell phone, you could fly to another part of the world, hop on any computer that has internet access, type the url or ip address to your home laptop tethered to your cell phone, and gain access to your computer like you would if running Microsoft's Remote Desktop. Thus maintaining that you don't have to use any other third party services such as LogMeIn or Hamachi or NetMeeting... etc. The only problem is forcing the phone to forward the proper ports to allow remote access to the laptop.

Jemsoccer, I apologize that I couldn't provide a solution that would work for you but I would like to accomplish the same task, considering my long rant. Hopefully, if you get this we could work on establishing something that would work. Let me know what you find out.

The solution I stated in the previous post worked for what I needed to do. The issue of being able to log into your computer that is connected to your phone is the IP address may not be static. The way I found to eliminate the guess work of determining the phones IP address, was to just 'call out' from my computer through my phone to a normal computer that had a static IP, at least on that wouldn't change while I was connected. I actually wound up using some other kind of remote desktop software than net meeting because my buddy had Vista, not XP, and apparently NetMeeting did not come w/ Vista.