Droid as a MP3 player?

DopdBrd

Reaction score
Ok, so it may be a bit of a noob question, but how many of you use your Droid as a MP3 player?

Recently, my stereo and iPod were stolen out of my truck, and now I don't have any type of MP3 player. I only really listen to songs while I am riding my Harley. I almost bought a 64G iPod touch tonight, but found a 32B micro SD for about a 3rd of the price. I figure if I can stick half my songs on that 32G card then whenever I do ride, I can swap SD cards and have most of my good songs to listen to, along with Pandora, when I have service.

So how many of you use the Droid as a MP3 player and how long does your battery usually last?

Wolf Irotisha

Reaction score
I do. And it depends. If I'm using it nonstop (like I usually am) about 2-4 hours. That's with the screen off.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D

DopdBrd

Reaction score
Well if I would be using it as a MP3 player, it will be in my jacket pocket and I won't be messing with it while I ride. And we never ride more than 4-5 hrs at a time to help fight fatigue.

Right now I'm trying to find a way to put a 12V AC outlet on my bike so I can put a cigarette lighter charger on the bike without it looking too trashy.

Kinetik

Reaction score
I do. And it depends. If I'm using it nonstop (like I usually am) about 2-4 hours. That's with the screen off.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That is crazy short. I usually listen to music when I sleep and sometimes it runs all night and at most I've seen 30% drop in battery.

bill12690

Reaction score
i dont use mine as an mp3 player continuously, but i do use it fairly often in my car..

cyber3dx

Reaction score
I love the Droid as an MP3 player. I have a Bluetooth head set (it is stereo!) and use it whilst I am rolling around town. And sometimes I'll even listen to it via the car stereo's built-in Bluetooth connection.

I've been fairly happy with bTunes (free from the Market).

My music files are ripped for about a 4MB average file size. So, I can hold a lot of music on the SD card of the Droid.

lostabit

Reaction score
My droid is the only mp3 player I own. Between Pandora and the 32gb sdcard I have plenty of music/video with me. In my car I use a dock to charge and hold the phone (custom made out of Verizon window mount, car charger, quicksteel, and black spray paint.) with bluetooth connection to car stereo for phone and audio streaming. And on my bike I have a handle bar mount for the phone and wired connections for charger and audio to a Shark motorcycle stereo. Don’t even bother with the cigarette lighter mount. Just get a car charger, and hide the cigarette lighter portion under your seat. Run a fused hot from the battery to the tip of the car charger, and ground to on of the 2 side springs of the cigarette lighter car adapter. Make sure all contacts are taped up good. Then run the springy cord under your tank up to the handlebars.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i use it as my mp3 player, and i always use it in my car. my battery doesnt drop at all really.

E36M3

Reaction score
I use mine on my Harley all the time. However, I listed to pandora more than mp3s. Since the iPod has physical buttons its easy to switch tracks and so on, with the droid I have pandora set to switch tracks using the volume button

Reaction score
Well if I would be using it as a MP3 player, it will be in my jacket pocket and I won't be messing with it while I ride. And we never ride more than 4-5 hrs at a time to help fight fatigue.

Right now I'm trying to find a way to put a 12V AC outlet on my bike so I can put a cigarette lighter charger on the bike without it looking too trashy.
What are you riding?
I seen a cbr 600rr with one installed also have a buddy who installed one on his gs500e that charges under the seat even if the bike is off

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I love the Droid as an MP3 player. I have a Bluetooth head set (it is stereo!) and use it whilst I am rolling around town. And sometimes I'll even listen to it via the car stereo's built-in Bluetooth connection.

I've been fairly happy with bTunes (free from the Market).

My music files are ripped for about a 4MB average file size. So, I can hold a lot of music on the SD card of the Droid.

this is what I need, a good set of bluetoof headphones.... not the startrek ear piece,
cellphoneshop_2111_374917518

I want headphones like
564573788.jpg

what do you have? I need ear buds for the jeep. I simply can not hear my stereo in my jeep at 65 mph and doors off. Anything above 45 and it's just noise. I'm too hard of hearing.

flamesuit on for wearing earbuds while driving, but I have no choice if I wwanna listen to music

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
well, just picked up the Motorokr s9-hd
564573788.jpg

charging up. But I love the way it fits.... controls the player with controls on 1 ear, controls the phone through ear controls on the other ear. Good tight fit on my ears so I can hear music while driving the jeep.

I could hear the phone calls too, but the problem with bluetooth was never the earpeice while in the jeep, it was the mic picking up all the wind made it hard for others to hear me.... so I simply don't answer the phone while driving. I text instead lol

also, they are very discreet. I have a shaved head, so I can't "hide" them with hair, but in the jeep, I wear a big, aussie style hat (I'm red headed and need the protection from the sun) and you just don't see them from other vehicles (read cops can't see me with earbuds on unless they are right beside me)

a bonus for me is I wear ear protection while mowing the yard. I would simply put my wired ear buds on, then my ear covers, these are actually shaped so well that I can wear my ear covers over these.

So, now I'm set.... droid is set up now to be my main music player

ledridge

Reaction score
The S9's are great headphones but they have the worst mic from anything I have tried. if you really want to have a good mic you have to go back to a normal hands free headset or use a car stereo with Bluetooth A2DP like I do. It is great because it is wireless and is better quality than my Zune was using the analog input to the stereo. and it automatically stops the tunes when a call comes in.

The thing I think that still needs work is the UI. I would love to see something that had the look and feel (WITH fixes and Improvements of cource) of the ZuneHD. I have had the ZuneHD pluged into my Bigscreen with hdmi and into my car which shows the video on the head-unit and would love to get an android player that had that same look and feel. When I worked at M$, I tried to get feedback for changes to the right people but it seemed that they were not open to suggestions at all. I was even on the Zune-XBox team and it still didnt help. now that Im disconnected from the Borg, I have been replacing all my implants. WM to Droid, Zune To Droid, Windows to Linux...

With the new Droid X, I see an opportunity to completely replace and Fix the Zune. The Phone has the FM Radio (NOT HD, but ok), hdmi output (but might be limited to self recorded video), and I don't think you can put anything bigger than 32GB in it. and if there was a card bigger, it would cost more than the phone.!!!!

If anyone out there wants to attempt a player to blow away Zune, I have a lot of feedback and tips that could be a benefit. The main beneifit in the ZuneHD UI that I want to see is the screen saver while playing music. It is great on the BigScreen durring a party and in the car while driving if a few changes could be made.
Here are a few Highlights.
* THE Screen saver needs to be able to let you pick which elements are displayed.
* adding a normal clock
* getting rid of things like the current tracks position in seconds
(seconds left would have made more sense)
* getting news (album releases, concert schedules,...) from the internet.
* Starting and stopping each track with a non moving (artist,album,title)
in large text and showing this on a button press so you can tell if that weird
word is the name of the album , band, or song. (very helpful in the car).
* Car, Nightstand, Party..... Modes to customize the display for each.
* Add Radio Info.... (on the zuneHD it does nothing)
this was one of my suggestions that went no where.
Use the RDS data to generate an ongoing list of artist,album,song from
the stations you listen to and when synced (or with a phone dynamically)
populate a database with all of the need info to do the same screen saver
as MP3s. also it it highly likely that you will have the MP3s for the same
songs you listen to on the radio so you can use that info as well.
* there are places to get the historical playlists of every radio station in the
US. Use that info to let you generate playlists that mirror a specific station
when your not in the area to hear that station or if you dont have an
fm tuner. that way you get a variety but still similar.
* Radio repeats too much, be able to set a repeat limit value that if a song
plays agian within the limited time it switches to a random mp3 and comes
back to the radio when its done.
* TIVO functionality on the radio, if the hardware allows it. lets you build an
mp3 library from the radio.
* combine straming services under the same UI (pandora,...)
* expand on the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down marking to let you specify the
thing you want to see different in the random songs being played.
ex. Tempo faster/slower, Harder /Softer, happier/sadder :) :angry:
(here is the chance to copywrite new icons like tivo did with the thumbs)

oh well, I have many more Ideas, I just have not got the skills to write my own program.....