Droid 4 XT894 Unlock for Forgein SIM Card Help

repoulin

Reaction score
I have been going nuts on trying to find a place online to help unlock my phone, and found this forum. I wanted to see if anyone who has done this would like to help walk me through. I will pay to help get this done. By Email, Skype or whatever is best.

I have a Verizon Droid 4 and want to use it here in Thailand. I think they use GSM here and seen this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/207075-finally-gsm-droid-4-works-3.html

I am not computer illiterate, but I am not sure about all the steps in unlocking and just want to make sure it is done right, if it is even possible.

Thanks,

Rich

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the droid forums.. I don't know the answer to your question... but someone here will have the info you need :)

Benton

Reaction score
It is my understanding that if you have the ICS update, your phone is unlocked for using GSM with another carrier's SIM in Thailand.

OP
R

repoulin

Reaction score
Ics

It is my understanding that if you have the ICS update, your phone is unlocked for using GSM with another carrier's SIM in Thailand.

ICS (or that process) seems to be the solution. I have not done anything yet with it as I am not sure. I found this page as well that explains the method.

Lots of good people here, but I am just not sure about the terms. This guy seems to know his stuff: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-droid-4-k1lo-flatliner-k1l0-ics-4-0-4-a.html

bdlagain

Reaction score
unlocking Droid 4

If you have a sim card from some where (any working sim card, borrow a friend's t-mobile sim card) & you have had an account in good standing with verizon for 6 months, they have to give you the code to unlock your phone. call verizon at 908-559-4899 for global tech support from a phone other than your cell, meanwhile insert the borrowed sim into your droid 4. wait for the phone to boot up & ask for the unlock code. tell the verizon tech support you have your sim card from another country in your phone ( i told them it was from mexico) & you need to unlock it. they're supposed to give you the code. I haven't done it yet w/ my droid 4 but i did with my droid 3 (using the t-mobile sim)& when i got to mexico & really did have a sim from there it worked fine. now i have the droid 4 and will be going to mexico again so will have to unlock this one. hope this helps!

kenprice

Reaction score
If you have a sim card from some where (any working sim card, borrow a friend's t-mobile sim card) & you have had an account in good standing with verizon for 6 months, they have to give you the code to unlock your phone. call verizon at 908-559-4899 for global tech support from a phone other than your cell, meanwhile insert the borrowed sim into your droid 4. wait for the phone to boot up & ask for the unlock code. tell the verizon tech support you have your sim card from another country in your phone ( i told them it was from mexico) & you need to unlock it. they're supposed to give you the code. I haven't done it yet w/ my droid 4 but i did with my droid 3 (using the t-mobile sim)& when i got to mexico & really did have a sim from there it worked fine. now i have the droid 4 and will be going to mexico again so will have to unlock this one. hope this helps!

According to Verizon, the Droid 4 is already unlocked- BUT you must use a 4G SIM card to operate on GSM. The 3G cards will NOT switch the phone into GSM mode. I have a 3G SIM card from Mexico, but will have to replace it with a 4G card on my next trip.

Ken Price

sean2010

Reaction score
dude if you are able to turn on your device without sim card, do it and connect it to a wireless network. check if there is a system update. this way you can get your Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update Over The Air (OTA). if this wont work then goto this topic : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/220372-ics-root-tool.html

update to ics
heres a video of how its done
[video=youtube;0KypRQ93eMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KypRQ93eMQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KypRQ93eMQ[/video]

and the ics rom file on the first post here
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ed-android-4-0-4-ics-build-droid-4-xt894.html

heymon79

Reaction score
According to Verizon, the Droid 4 is already unlocked- BUT you must use a 4G SIM card to operate on GSM. The 3G cards will NOT switch the phone into GSM mode. I have a 3G SIM card from Mexico, but will have to replace it with a 4G card on my next trip.

Ken Price

Hi, I as well am fairly illiterate when it comes to this kind of stuff. I live in Canada and am looking to purchase this phone. If we do not have 4G service here in Ontario, only 3G, does that mean it won't work (by updating to ICS and inserting my Rogers SIM card?)

sean2010

Reaction score
yea it will work in canada

yea it will work in canada if ics is installed, on all bands gsm 2g 3g 4g
you will need to add you service provider Rogers network vpn info in settings/more/ in vpn i think check rogers website forthere vpn settings
and change network mode to gsm/umts

Pleep

Reaction score
Similar Question

I have a very similar but not identical question.

I live in Ireland now, but I still have my droid 4 from Verizon with me sitting around collecting dust. The phone currently has ICS and is rooted. Is there a way I get this phone to work in Ireland (no 4G countrywide that I know of), or am I stuck?

I'm currently on the 3 network with a crappy samsung galaxy mini however it's not a contract so I can switch if I ever figure out how to get my droid 4 to work on any other network.

heymon79

Reaction score
Thank you Sean,
Is that all I need to do? Update to ICS, update the phone vpn settings and put in my SIM card?

bluri

Reaction score
yep, should work, worked for me in ireland.
Thank you man! Just bought one from us-ebay for 260$.. After eight hours of research through internet I was ready to buy, just after I read your post.
Been eager to have a QWERTY-phone after sold my Milestone year ago.
On germany ebay they sold these today for 350€ and 290€ :D

heymon79

Reaction score
Ok all... Here's an update.
I am in Toronto, ON on Rogers network.
My boyfriend was in Tampa for a golf trip so he went to a Verizon store. They would not sell it to him as he did not have an account and told him he needed to sign a contract. This is not the case and I called the Verizon Call Centre who advised me that they just needed to open an account and sell the phone like an accessory as we were buying it outright. They also advised that there is no need for an unlock code (which ends up is correct). FINALLY got the phone purchased, but when it got home my SIM card would not fit in it. You will need to go to Rogers and purchase a Micro SIM (which costs $10 + tax). There was no need to update to Ice Cream Sandwich as it was already up to date. It took my new SIM and said it was unrecognized, but I ignored that and the phone worked.
We then had to configure settings to get the data working and I will list them here for people like me who know nothing about APN & VPN etc...
Go to your settings and select:
'more' option
then Mobile Networks
Network Mode and choose GSM/UMTS
Now scroll lower and choose Access Point Names. Enter the below settings for your internet and picture messaging:

Name: Rogers
APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80

Leave everything else alone.

You are now good to go. My phone works!
If you have questions, please feel free to message me!
But ... IT WORKS and with very little work! YAY