Droid 4 - Video Recording Orientation Can Only Be Landscape

droidvirgin

Reaction score
Hello all,
I tried to record a video message of myself to send to my wife so I held my D4 in an upright (portrait) position, set it to front face camera mode, recorded my message and before I sent it I played it back BUT... the video plays back UPSIDE DOWN. I also tried to make a regular video recording and held the video camera upright but the video plays back side ways. I later realized to make a recording you must hold the device in landscape so that it plays back properly.

Is it me or is this really poor design by Motorola? I think people naturally hold their phones in a upright (portrait) position. Holding the D4 in landscape naturally forces someone to hold it with 2 hands and can accidently cover the camera lens for the front and back. My wife has the iphone and it plays back the same way thje phone was positioned when recording (which is how it should be). I don't think the Samsungs have that problem either.

Skyping with someone is the same issue. You have to hold your device sideways with 2 hands unlike the iphone.

Could this be a patent issue? Does Motorola really lack in their design?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm hoping other Droid users have had the same issues and hopefully Motorola will recognize this and fix for the next release!

xmguy

Reaction score
All the "Droid" phones record that way. Only iPhone that I know allows both landscape and portrait recording.

silverfang77

Reaction score
It seems silly for the front camera, which is meant to be used for YouTube rants and video chats wouldn't record in portrait mode.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

r314bd

Reaction score
This makes sense to me. Video is 16x9 by design; it more closely matches our natural viewing angle. Videos shot in portrait mode like this one are very unpleasant with their massive letterboxing:

[video=youtube;DiMtWbzu2Ug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiMtWbzu2Ug[/video]

MaximusMax

Reaction score
This is so absolutely asinine. Are you telling me there is no way to record a video in landscape mode and play it back in FULL screen 1080p mode on my home tv?

This would be the dumbest move ever on a smart phone. Why in gods name would you put a 1080p video capability in your phone, and then make everyone shoot their videos in portrait mode?

silverfang77

Reaction score
Exactly the opposite. It records in landscape, not portrait. You can record in portrait mode, but you'd need to use a video editor to rotate the video to play right side up.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.