droid 4 sync with outlook and mobile security

dalejsheldon

Reaction score
I spent an hour on this website and advanced searched my keywords severa different ways so I hope I am not reinventing the wheel.

Hi I am a newbie (solo practice) financial consultant trying to get my self organized with computers printers phones etc. I am great at finance but have anallergy to technology;; everything seems to take three or four times longer than it should. Nevertheless I am upgrading to windows 7, office 2010 and most likely a droid 4.

I have read with horror the PC Mag article on the fact that nothing really synchronizes outlook with androids properly, but the article is a little dated and i wonder if any progress has been made with the droid 4. I am running windows 7 64 bit if that matters.
The most comprehensive solution seems to be companion link for $50 (ouch!). Are ther better cheaper solutions that really work for the droid 4?

My second question is security. Motorola brags about the comprehensive security features of the d4. Do you still need mobile security apps like lookup? I have norton mobile security; should I send it back? Does Norton work well with the D4? I purchased becaus I use norton for other stuff and I have a living teror of security software conflicts.

My third question is probably a basic newbie car phone user question. Will a jawbone era be compatable with a droid 4 (Verizon and wirefly have a pretty limited selection of accessoriesfor the d4 and I am wondering if there is a reason? My dream is to be listening to music on the d4 and have an incoming call automatically interrupt the music so I can answer the phone and automatically start up after the call is finished. Does anyone know if the d4 works this way? Are there any special fewatures I would need to make it happen?

I don't really want a virtual keyboard (or to spend the extra money) but would a droid razr max deal with these issues better? Or (sigh) some other phone?

Thanks for your hep; I have tried engageing the sales support at verizon and wirefly, bu once you get them off their scripts, they are pretty useless.

Thanks,

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Let me handle your second question first. You don't need security apps. This is not windows, it's an entirely different platform. The concern you would have is with Malware, not a virus.

So how do you avoid Malware? You can come into our apps area and search on the app you're looking to download. You can post up on it. And you can and should read all the comments on the app. Now if you see an app with 4 1/2 stars and 5,000 comments chances are thats a decent app and you don't have anything to worry about.

A lot of malware is found on various wallpapers. You may want to see what other apps the dev has if there is some doubt.

Lookout is a decent product but it is a resource hog and that means it's going to use battery. There is no need for it, I've had Droids since the first one came out and downloaded probably 500 apps and never had an issue. So I would say be a bit cautious but don't worry, it's not a major issue.

Now in regards to what you read in PC magazine. Hogwash. You have a Google phone, correct? Well if you didn't know that you do now. So what you want to do is utilize your Gmail account. I've never done it but my wife has so I know it works. Heres the how to from Importing contacts by CSV - Gmail Help

Hope that helps you out.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Looks like hook has you pretty well covered. Let us know if there is anything else you need! :biggrin:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome!

Here is a link to what software / programs are available for syncing outlook with android... Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange ...I use gSyncIt and it works flawlessly for me, the dev was supportive in my questions and responded to them timely.

OP
D

dalejsheldon

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Looks like hook has you pretty well covered. Let us know if there is anything else you need! :biggrin:

I am not so sure. I have been rechecking the advice and here is what I have found. Motorola advertises many security features but not antivirus and anti-maleware which ould both need to be updated fro time to time. I am perfectly willing to believe the gentleman has never had a virus issue, but he seems to be a pro. My tech ability can only be described as below average and I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy so I think I will use the norton mobile app and not return it.

Also, even though I am a one man show, I have spent a lot of time on security suites, disk encryption, secure email because I want to assure my clents that they have business + security even though they are dealing with a one man show.

That being said the comma V technique applies only to outlook caledar and is a one time deal. I want everything: calendar, contacts, task, notes, and perhaps most importantly auto synch. There is a website called synchdroid.net which lists twenty plus programs hat do all or part of this. Here is a list of programs that claim to do everything I want. I would very much prefer a program that converts directly from my desktop to the phone without copying sensitive data to the google cloud, but if that is the only way to get something done, I will live.

The copy and past and the select all and paste fuctions from synchdroid.net to this website create unformatted junk. I wil see if I can get partial data in an organized way.

CompanionLink for Outlook
Dell PC Suite (Dell only)
gSyncit
Mobisynapse
MyPhoneExplorer
The Missing Sync
TouchDown

These are the programs I found using the synchdroid sort function for the features I wanted. Unfortunately, if you want to see what I have seen you will have to go to synchdroid.net and sort the programs yourself.

Does anyone have experience with these programs? Does anyone know the best reviews. They all seem to have very mixed reviews. The one exception may be gsyncit; 130 reviews on android market and five stars, but I am a little cautious about user reviews; they are a little to easy for the software companies to manipulate.

Also, nobody discussed my music to phone to music with bluetooth. Is this too stupid for words? a little feedback or direction would be helpful for the newbie.

Thanks everybody for the fast turnaround. I have had an enquiry about comprehensive security for solo practitioners up in two places for weeks without a nibble. This is a breath of fresh air.