Droid 4, new member here, trouble with Maps/Navigation (ICS)

Ron85331

Reaction score
On my original Droid, and on my Droid 4 before ICS, I had no trouble: a Navigation icon (blue arrow) was present on one of the panels of my home screen, and I could tap it and get navigation help. As I recall, I could set it for driving or walking.

I think it worked at one time, after I got ICS, but today i have spent about an hour wrestling with a problem: there is no Maps or Navigation icon on my home screen, and I can't figure out how to place one.

I have posted some details of my problem over in the Droid 4 Tech Support forum.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you have Maps or Navigation in your app drawer, just long press on the icon you want and begin to drag - you should see your screen transition to your home screen where you can drag/drop the icon that you want there. If you do not have maps / navigation in your app drawer, you might doublecheck the market and download it if necessary...good luck!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Definitely check out what STG mentioned and let us know how you make out :)

OP
R

Ron85331

Reaction score
no joy yet

Hi, smalltowngirl13, and thanks for the greeting, and the response.

No, my apps drawer (what I see when I tap the "Apps" icon at the bottom of my home screen) is quite meager. It doesn't have Maps, or Camera, or Gallery (I know how to get to those last two), or lots of things like Calculator, My Accounts, Smart Actions, and Amazon Kindle that I actually use and do have icons for on my home screen. I just have to be careful and not remove any of those icons, because if I did, I won't be able to get them back: this includes Browser, Gmail, Play Store, Search, and My Music. None of those are listed when I tap "Apps". I assume that's what you mean by "app drawer".

I have looked through the Play Store, and when I search for "maps" I find things like Waze and World, but I want the regular Google Maps, and it doesn't show up there.

Incidentally, when I use "Manage apps", I see a long, long list of apps, which includes Camera, Gmail, Maps, My Gallery, and everything I remember installing but can't see listed under "Apps", plus lots of things I don't remember installing and I'm not interested in, like Netflix.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Update your Google Maps app and the icon will reappear. If Google Maps is already updated, un-install the updated version and re-install it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
R

Ron85331

Reaction score
wkearney99 gave me the answer I needed, over in the Droid 4 Tech Support forum. I must have switched the display of apps from "All apps" to "Downloaded". Since I knew all the apps I was looking for were actually on my phone, I had figured they must have all been downloaded, and didn't realize there was a way to select which apps appeared in that list. All I had to do was bring up the list, press&hold on the Downloaded tab, and select All apps. I hadn't mentioned the word "Downloaded" that appeared on the tab, because I just figured that was a constant, that differentiated the list of apps from the list of widgets. wkearney99 figured out what I might have done, and pointed me in the right direction.

When I decided to use the web to find a solution, I had started trying to use the forums at motorola.com, but could never get to a point where I could actually post anything, using either Firefox or IE. Found these forums, searched and couldn't find anyone describing a problem like mine, signed up, posted here, located the proper forum, posted there, and was given an idea that worked! Great experience!