Droid 4 JB Update Fail

jayhardacre

Reaction score
I have tried to update my droid 4 three times and still no success. I have rooted it with safestrap, it's in the stock os and I have successfully downloaded it but 25% thru trying to update it fails. Any suggestions?

Unroot it? Bring it back to stock-stock?

Please any suggestions will do.

Jay

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Droid Forums

OP
J

jayhardacre

Reaction score
Fastboot your phone back to the official ICS release with the proper sbf file.

Uninstall safestrap through your stock system and follow the fastboot instructions from the thread here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239333

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

So i uninstalled safestrap....ive been in official stock ics, still failed update. Im still rooted, do i need to unroot? Its really pissing me off...

GigaJake

Reaction score
Did you fastboot like I told you to?

OP
J

jayhardacre

Reaction score
No i didnt. Dont know how. What will fastboot do? I know i am rooted with su but thats it, im in official stock release.

GigaJake

Reaction score
Fastbooting will make your phone 100% stock, guaranteeing that you'll pass any checks by the OTA. There are instructions in the thread provided. Please be very careful and follow the instructions so that you don't brick your phone.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
So i uninstalled safestrap....ive been in official stock ics, still failed update. Im still rooted, do i need to unroot? Its really pissing me off...

Did you uninstall the app Safestrap or did you uninstall the recovery that Safestrap installs? You have to uninstall the Safestrap recovery....the app doesn't have to be uninstalled.

OTA updates use the stock recovery to install.

hamann5

Reaction score
I have kinda the opposite question. I uninstalled safestrap and didnt need to unroot and installed the update and everything went smooth however now I tried opening the safestrap app to reinstall the recovery and when i open the app it says unforunatly safestrap has stoped working. I tried uninstalling the app and reflashing the apk but still same issue. any help on trying to get safestrap to work on the JB update?

hamann5

Reaction score
think I found my problem..seems that after OTA update I am now unrooted again however I still have superuser app on there but no root access..trying to re-root now

UPDATE:

The root exploit I used couple days ago to root my phone seems to be haveing errors now and not working. Like I said before I still have SU installed but I used a few root checker apps and they are all saying I do not have root access. I have all the lastest moto drivers installed im in MTP mode and debugging enabled and also have unknown scourses checked off..am I missing something? is there a new expoit for JB? I tried OTA root keeper before installing OTA now that I remember and tried the restore root on it, and had no success anyway to get rooted again?

droidbound

Reaction score
think I found my problem..seems that after OTA update I am now unrooted again however I still have superuser app on there but no root access..trying to re-root now

UPDATE:

The root exploit I used couple days ago to root my phone seems to be haveing errors now and not working. Like I said before I still have SU installed but I used a few root checker apps and they are all saying I do not have root access. I have all the lastest moto drivers installed im in MTP mode and debugging enabled and also have unknown scourses checked off..am I missing something? is there a new expoit for JB? I tried OTA root keeper before installing OTA now that I remember and tried the restore root on it, and had no success anyway to get rooted again?

I had exactly the same problem. I used OTA root keeper to back up root before the OTA update, and afterwards it reported I had root when Root Checker didn't.
I eventually used RDS lite to flash the JB firmware and then the Razorblade utility to regain root. Just make sure you connect in MTP mode when using Razorblade and all should be well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

hamann5

Reaction score
Ya seems that the root didn't carry over the update..and as for the root exploit I was running razr edge root which seems to not work on JB update. I then saw the razr blade root exploit and it worked so problem solved..you need razr blade root exploit to gain root access after JB update