Droid 4 Contacts Stopped Working

deltaskye

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but since I own the Droid 4 I thought I'd start here.

About a week ago my Contacts stopped working. When I turn on the phone I get the message "Unfortunately contacts has stopped." I cannot pull up any saved contacts for texting or telephoning, and I can no longer see the phone numbers of people who called me (I can see a caller ID number while the call is ringing, but not access the number afterward).

Right before this happened, I deleted some unwanted apps. I've been reading various forums, and other people who had the same problem believed it was caused when they deleted some apps. I thought I carefully deleted only apps such as games or map apps, and I don't know if this is a red herring issue.

On other forums it appears this problem be related to Google/Gmail for some people. However, I use Outlook as my primary email account and Gmail rarely.

I've read some fairly complicated instructions on how to possibly correct this issue, but I don't understand any of them, since all I do with my phone is make/receive calls and emails, text, and occasionally use an app. For example, I don't understand whether the instructions are for manipulating the phone directly, or for accessing the solution via my PC. I don't understand what it means when a phone is rooted (or not).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but since I own the Droid 4 I thought I'd start here. About a week ago my Contacts stopped working. When I turn on the phone I get the message "Unfortunately contacts has stopped." I cannot pull up any saved contacts for texting or telephoning, and I can no longer see the phone numbers of people who called me (I can see a caller ID number while the call is ringing, but not access the number afterward). Right before this happened, I deleted some unwanted apps. I've been reading various forums, and other people who had the same problem believed it was caused when they deleted some apps. I thought I carefully deleted only apps such as games or map apps, and I don't know if this is a red herring issue. On other forums it appears this problem be related to Google/Gmail for some people. However, I use Outlook as my primary email account and Gmail rarely. I've read some fairly complicated instructions on how to possibly correct this issue, but I don't understand any of them, since all I do with my phone is make/receive calls and emails, text, and occasionally use an app. For example, I don't understand whether the instructions are for manipulating the phone directly, or for accessing the solution via my PC. I don't understand what it means when a phone is rooted (or not). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Since you don't understand what being rooted is we can safely assume you are not. And since you are not rooted it seems unlikely you would have been able to delete any apps that could cause a major issue like this. There are two things I would try. Option 1: Factory reset the phone. This will wipe out all your data so make sure you plug your phone into your computer and back up and pictures, etc. before doing this. If there is a problem with and app or some issue in your data partition this should fix it. This may or may not fix it. Option 2: Use this utility: [SCRIPT] DROID 4 Utility XT894 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!) - xda-developers to "fastboot" the phone. This does more than a rest. It actually completely overwrites the system (including the contacts app) with a fresh factory image. You will need to plug your phone in to your computer and make sure you have the Droid 4 drivers installed before running the utility. This is what I would try first personally. There is an option to fastboot without wiping out your data so you would not have to start from scratch. But, I'm comfortable with doing that sort of thing because I have done it many times before. It is more involved but is almost 100% sure to work.

OP
D

deltaskye

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply. I will have time later today to try your suggestions; I'll start with suggestion 2.

In advance of that, is there a suspected reason why this issue occurred?

Also, regarding the Droid 4 drivers, how do I verify I have them? I know what drivers are in a general sense, such as for printers, but how do I verify and install Droid 4 drivers?

kwyrt

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply. I will have time later today to try your suggestions; I'll start with suggestion 2. In advance of that, is there a suspected reason why this issue occurred? Also, regarding the Droid 4 drivers, how do I verify I have them? I know what drivers are in a general sense, such as for printers, but how do I verify and install Droid 4 drivers?
I honestly have no idea what the root cause of the issue would be. It sounds like the contacts app got corrupted somehow but I'm not sure how it would happen. As for the drivers I'm pretty sure when you first plug your phone in to your PC some sort of Motorola software should pop up and download/install the most current drivers automatically. If it does not, just go to Motorola's web site and and visit the Droid 4 product page. You should be able to download them from there.

OP
D

deltaskye

Reaction score
Does fastbooting (option 2) remove how I've configured my Droid? For example:

Aaffect my Outlook set-up on my Droid? That is, will I have to reinstall or reconfigure having Outlook on my Droid?

Will it remove any apps that did not come with my phone and that I installed myself?

I don't have a lot of data stored, such as photos or music, so I'm not worried about losing that.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Does fastbooting (option 2) remove how I've configured my Droid? For example: Aaffect my Outlook set-up on my Droid? That is, will I have to reinstall or reconfigure having Outlook on my Droid? Will it remove any apps that did not come with my phone and that I installed myself? I don't have a lot of data stored, such as photos or music, so I'm not worried about losing that.
If you use the "no data wipe" option it should not touch how you have your phone set up. All apps and related data will stay as well as home screen setup, etc. Using this option you should notice no difference in your phone when it boots back up except that, hopefully, your contacts will work again.

OP
D

deltaskye

Reaction score
I'm working my way through the repair. I've stopped before completion because the instructions say to be sure the Droid's battery is 100% powered, so I'm recharging the battery.

Meanwhile, a question: how do I place the Droid in the AP Fastboot mode? I don't understand this and don't see guidance on how to do it. Will the following instructions for the Razr work for the Droid 4:

Turn off your phone.

Press and hold the following buttons at the same time until the screen turns on
1) volume down
2) volume up
3) power

Press Volume down until you reach the AP fastboot in the list
Press Volume up to select

kwyrt

Reaction score
I'm working my way through the repair. I've stopped before completion because the instructions say to be sure the Droid's battery is 100% powered, so I'm recharging the battery.

Meanwhile, a question: how do I place the Droid in the AP Fastboot mode? I don't understand this and don't see guidance on how to do it. Will the following instructions for the Razr work for the Droid 4:

Turn off your phone.

Press and hold the following buttons at the same time until the screen turns on
1) volume down
2) volume up
3) power

Press Volume down until you reach the AP fastboot in the list
Press Volume up to select

Yes. Those instructions should work.

OP
D

deltaskye

Reaction score
I finally figured out that the Droid won't go into Fastboot if it's tethered to any connectors.

I got into Fastboot, connected my USB, and resumed the utility. When I attempted to execute the Fastboot, the utility said "moto-boot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Then it immediately said "your device will now reboot and install radio files, then fully boot." And below that - Hit ENTER to return (which cycles you back to an earlier place in the utility).

Despite the statement that "the device will now reboot," there has been no change to my Droid. It's still showing the Fastboot screen - it didn't react when I executed. I tried the steps several times.

kwyrt

Reaction score
I finally figured out that the Droid won't go into Fastboot if it's tethered to any connectors. I got into Fastboot, connected my USB, and resumed the utility. When I attempted to execute the Fastboot, the utility said "moto-boot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Then it immediately said "your device will now reboot and install radio files, then fully boot." And below that - Hit ENTER to return (which cycles you back to an earlier place in the utility). Despite the statement that "the device will now reboot," there has been no change to my Droid. It's still showing the Fastboot screen - it didn't react when I executed. I tried the steps several times.
I would suggest starting the utility over again with the phone connected in fastboot mode.

OP
D

deltaskye

Reaction score
I would suggest starting the utility over again with the phone connected in fastboot mode.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I only disconnect to power up the phone, then I connect to USB to proceed with the utility's steps.

ETA: I already went back to the beginning of the utility, because that's what happens when you hit ENTER while you are at the end of the utility.

Last edited:

kwyrt

Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I only disconnect to power up the phone, then I connect to USB to proceed with the utility's steps.
OK. After a little googling it sounds like you may be missing a file, or you have the utility in the wrong place. When you unzipped everything where did you unzip it? Did you move anything after unzipping? I believe the utility must be run from the same place all the files are located.

kwyrt

Reaction score
I also found this youtube video that shows the process. It's for the razr on ICS rather than the D4 on JB but it should still be mostly the same process. Maybe you can find a clue from there what might be going wrong. [video=youtube;3MJ2c08XNOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MJ2c08XNOU[/video]

OP
D

deltaskye

Reaction score
I also found this youtube video that shows the process. It's for the razr on ICS rather than the D4 on JB but it should still be mostly the same process. Maybe you can find a clue from there what might be going wrong. [video=youtube;3MJ2c08XNOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MJ2c08XNOU[/video]

I'll explore your suggestions further when I get a break - thank you! - but a partial response:

I followed the instructions from the utility download host (the mirror site), which told me to put the files on my desktop, then extract two of the files (i.e.g, DRIVERS/Motorola End User Driver Installation...), then execute another unzipped file called WindowsUtility.bat. This last file launches the utility-install activity.

So I believe all the unzipped files are on my desktop. Should they be extracted to the Droid?

kwyrt

Reaction score
I'll explore your suggestions further when I get a break - thank you! - but a partial response: I followed the instructions from the utility download host (the mirror site), which told me to put the files on my desktop, then extract two of the files (i.e.g, DRIVERS/Motorola End User Driver Installation...), then execute another unzipped file called WindowsUtility.bat. This last file launches the utility-install activity. So I believe all the unzipped files are on my desktop. Should they be extracted to the Droid?
The files should be extracted to your desktop, not the D4. I just downloaded and extracted the file myself. I don't see anything else that should need extracted or anything. As long as the windowsutility.bat is in the same folder as the rest of the files it should work correctly. Are you extracting the files to your desktop directly or to a folder on your desktop. I always extract to a folder on my desktop. Not really sure if that should make a difference though. I am uploading a screenshot of what it should look like after everything is extracted. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b-GHsfi-jvZmFsSHZaVk54QWc/edit?usp=sharing