Droid 4... Broken already!

fingaz

Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones to get the Droid 4 the day it came out. Today is March 6th, meaning I have had the phone for just under 1 month. I was trying to charge the phone, but the USB port on my phone busted... the cable was very loose and wasn't fitting in right. I had to go to Verizon last night and a replacement is being send me a replacement. (Good thing I didn't get rid of my Eris yet).

Is this a freak thing. Has anyone else had any problems? Or am I the first to get a new phone via warranty? lol

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
p.s. - My girlfriend has an Incredible 2 and she had the same issue with her phone (after 6 months of having the phone). I never had an issue when the USB port was on the bottom (as was the case with most of my previous phones), but now that its on the side, not one, but multiple phones. I have noticed that the usb cable is always in the way when I am typing, playing games or charging the phone in my car. I feel that its annoying and I think the fact that it keeps getting in the way is the reason this has happened. Thoughts???

Sohcahtoa

Reaction score
I had that problem during the last 6 months of my OG Droid. My car charger was completely unusable. I'd plug it in, but unless I held the charger cable in the phone's port just right, it didn't actually begin charging, and as soon as I set it down, it came out. My USB cable that I usually charged from didn't always connect, and I wouldn't notice until I got up the next morning and had a dead battery.

Here's hoping my D4 doesn't end up eventually having the same problem.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm surprised they're replacing it. Technically, it's physical damage which is not covered under the warranty.

Tapatalkin' from my chargin' Charge

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
Never had this kind of problem, not with the Droid 4 or my ol' LG Ally. Only thing I got wrong with my D4 is the power/lock button at the top is very squishy... my friend who has a D4 has a very "clickable" button (you can tell when you've pressed it, on mine you've just got to guess.)

Kack

Reaction score
Im real rough on my phones usually have to get a replacement every 6-8 months. i work construction so my phones are in the elements dirt water grease oils <not literally, but my hands are>. i do clean my phone when i get home. when i need a replacement i just call up assurion and pay the 90 bux. seeing as how i put my phone through so much and it usually holds up its surprising that i see so many new phones with defects. sorry to hear about your phone and hope your replacement is golden.

Reaction score
Had the same problem on my droid x after a while. The usb had to be just right in order for the phone to react. It was annoying but I dealt with it because I figured I was probably being too rough with it and I didn't want to pay for an insurance replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
The only reason I knew that I was good to go with the warranty claim was because my gf had to do the same thing like 2 weeks ago. She had her Incredible S for 6 months and they still took it back. We have a 1 year warranty with our phones.. I think its a manufacturing defect rather than physical damage as I didn't do anything incorrectly.

and.. in response to the people who were talking about the power button... i HATE the power button. I can never get it right... especially when I have my case on. Its in an annoying spot. The one thing that I liked about my Eris was that it had physical send and end buttons. The end button, which was on the bottom right, right by my thumb, was the power button for the screen. I usually always turn the screen on by slightly sliding the keyboard out so the phone turns on and then close it right away. That wakes it up.

But please note.. if anyone gets a new phone, they have to activate it THEN insert the sim card. Apparently I "fried" my sim card by putting it in the phone BEFORE activating it. A new one is being sent to me right now.