Droid 3 wont turn on

oid

Reaction score
Motorola Droid 3 XT862

I cant get the phone to turn on. The phone will backlight and that’s all. I am using 2 charged (80% and 100%) known good BF5X batteries and 2 known good data/charging cables.

1. Insert battery
2. Hold power button for 10-12 seconds
3. Phone then backlights for 3-5 seconds then goes completely off

Without battery and connected to AC power, phone backlights for 4-7 seconds then goes dark.
Without battery and connected to PC, a steady white light can be seen next to port on phone. If a battery is inserted at this time, the white light goes out, display remains dark for 10 seconds, then backlights for 5 seconds then goes dark. If battery is removed, the white charging light does not come back on. I noticed that while connected to DC power in dark car, the display remained almost imperceptibly backlit continuously.

In desperation, I removed the 4GB SD card and reseated it, no change. Then I nudged the SIM card and it looked like it seated better. I inserted a battery, connected it to AC power, set it down and on its own it went through its usual boot sequence – Motorola logo/red animated Droid thingy to home page. I slid and unlocked it and it seemed normal. I then disconnected it from the AC and connected it to the PC and Windows picked up both drives (internal storage and the SD card). Drunk with relief I made the assumption that the problem must’ve had something to do with the way the SIM card was seated. I disconnected it from the PC, completed a call and the next thing I know is its just a paperweight again. I need to get it back on so I can backup up my call logs, SMS messages and contacts and update the most recent data back up I did about a month ago.

I removed both the SIM card and the SD card. No luck with the cooling trick, in fridge for 30 minutes and also heated it (sat it on warm laptop for a while) without success. VZW told me about the 'cell bright' device that transfers data (docs, photos, videos etc) from old to new phones but I dont think that works if the bloody thing wont boot. I want to recover my SMS logs and call logs but of course those apps need to be run first, cant do.

As the General Beringer character in "War Games" said, "G*ddammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!"

Anyone know of a spark plug I can try??

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Sorry to hear of issue.. I'm not sure of a good resolution....

Tap'd by Big 6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since the phone turned on for a short time after you reseated the SIM, you could try a new SIM card. They are normally free at a Verizon store. It might not be the issue, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
O

oid

Reaction score
The CSR at the VZW store said the SIM card isnt necessary for the normal function of the phone, that it is just for using the phone outside the US. Regardless,he wouldn't give me a new SIM because the phone it is going into has to be functioning and on the account.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
A bad Sim card could cause problems, but if device does not boot after removing sim, it isn't the problem.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk