Droid 3 won't boot up. :(

icaito

Reaction score
Hi y'all.

My Droid 3 decided to stop working a few days ago. It was as simple as this: I turned it off while I was going to be at work, and it wouldn't turn on ever again.

I do have a spare battery, which is always charged to 100%, so I attempted restarting the phone with that other battery, and nothing.

I don't understand how it could've become bricked since I never tried to flash it, nor do anything fancy to it, or its insides. Rather, I've always been a regular user, mainly using the phone for email, pictures, and voice/text notes.

What I'd like to know is, if there's any way possible for me to access the NAND SanDisk inside in order to copy out all my notes and pics. All the other data (like contacts) was always under constant backup with my Google account.

Also, if there is any external way of booting it up that I don't know about, well, please shoot me a line. (I did try something from customer service about holding down the volume-down button while holding the power button, but nothing happened.)

Thank you very much for your assistance!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Did you try leaving it connected to a wall charger for a little bit?

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

OP
I

icaito

Reaction score
Did you try leaving it connected to a wall charger for a little bit?

Yes. I actually left it charging for several hours. And nothing.

Is your power button broken?

Not apparently. It actuates in its normal fashion.

More strangely even is the fact that the screen won't even come on to show the amount of battery present (which is what should show up anytime the phone is plugged into an outlet, if I'm not mistaken). So basically, it's not even acknowledging that it is plugged in.

Sigh. So dispiriting.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hmmm.... strange. It couldn't be that your USB port is damaged, could it? Maybe it somehow got wet, or too hot. You might need to exchange it with a replacement.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
To answer your other question, I don't think it's possible to get your SD card content without power. Another option is to buy a "Factory Style" moto cable off eBay. That should power up your phone. If not, your only option would be my previous suggestion.

pistacio

Reaction score
Do you mean one of these?:

View attachment 52067

Lol, works excellent believe it or not...used it many times on DROID 1.

These "factory cables" are specially wired allowing to flash phones without a battery even being present.

Forum member Motocache1 did an excellent write up and how-to on this special cable. I'll try to find a link.

Here it is : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1509765

Last edited:
OP
I

icaito

Reaction score
To answer your other question, I don't think it's possible to get your SD card content without power. Another option is to buy a "Factory Style" moto cable off eBay. That should power up your phone. If not, your only option would be my previous suggestion.

Thanks! I looked for "Factory Style Droid Cable" (and other variations) on eBay, but nothing pops up.

A replacement phone arrived two days ago, and I have to mail back the old one to VZN here in the next couple days, so I will try to go with the homemade version.

Do you mean one of these?:

View attachment 52067

Lol, works excellent believe it or not...used it many times on DROID 1.

These "factory cables" are specially wired allowing to flash phones without a battery even being present.

Forum member Motocache1 did an excellent write up and how-to on this special cable. I'll try to find a link.

Here it is : How/why to make your own Motorola "Factory Cable"

Many thanks for the reference over. I had seen this post last night, and seems like the only feasible way to go. :\

However, I will try making one more resembling to your picture than his.

[video=youtube;s5U7qxItPJI]http://youtu.be/s5U7qxItPJI[/video]

linuxgator

Reaction score
Thanks! I looked for "Factory Style Droid Cable" (and other variations) on eBay, but nothing pops up.

A replacement phone arrived two days ago, and I have to mail back the old one to VZN here in the next couple days, so I will try to go with the homemade version.

Many thanks for the reference over. I had seen this post last night, and seems like the only feasible way to go. :\

However, I will try making one more resembling to your picture than his.

[video=youtube;s5U7qxItPJI]http://youtu.be/s5U7qxItPJI[/video]

Try searching Motorola Factory Cable, don't include Droid in the search term.

pistacio

Reaction score
Just curious, did you file an insurance claim? Or is it a "free" swap?

I got in to the habit of contacting Motorola directly for manufacturer warranty...cost $6 to send it in USPS small flat rate box. Beats the $100 deductible VZW charges...