Droid 3 frozen in "manual" sleep mode

fishacura

Reaction score
It is true that the problem doesn't happen to everyone. I have the issue and my wife doesnt (same phone, same version, same purchase date).

I have found a slight "workaround" for it.

When my phone is in sleep mode, the only way I can get it back on without removing the battery is to plug it into a wall outlet...for some reason that seems to bring it back to life.

Last edited:

Andreos

Reaction score
I have the system update and this just happened to me

...if you hold the button, let the dialogue pop up, and manually choose "Sleep mode" it turns off.... and won't turn back on! It's the strangest thing ever! I tried all the buttons, that didn't help. The only way to fix it was to either remove the battery or plug it in.

Any suggestions/Similar cases of this?

I've had my Droid3 since mid-August and used the manually selected sleep mode a few times - no problem.

Then I got the system update last Friday September 30, and today when I used manual sleep mode, the phone wouldn't wake up. I had to remove the battery to get it working again. A last-ditch move on my part since I had previously not heard of nor experienced the problem.

My (sample of one) experience is that this problem was introduced on my phone by the system update! (Version 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US)

Last edited:

jpblock82

Reaction score
Yes, the update screwed up sleep mode for some reason...so now we get to wait for another update to fix this update. :)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

sspate

Reaction score
My daughter and I both have the same problem! I got mine to turn back on only once. Other times we have to remove battery. And when we do turn back on its in airplane mode.

k9nikita

Reaction score
I have an issue that is close to that, my phone will randomly freeze and I have to do a battery pull to reset it. sometimes it will do it after it goes to sleep it wont wake up or just randomly while it is on. please help this is my second D3 and it is extremely frustrating.

shane1

Reaction score
ha i never use sleep mode but i just tried it and its frozen . i did try it when it first came out and it was slow to wake but now nothin lol...its not sleep mode its in hibernation mode lol...battery pull and in airplane mode i think we have a bug

Last edited:

mjrgnsn

Reaction score
I just got my phone yesterday from Verizon and discovered same issue. Plugged it in and allowed access...

youdoneyo69

Reaction score
I use Sleep Mode regularly and sometimes I can't get it out and have to pull the battery but all I do is hold the screen on/off button for about 5 seconds then release it and it wakes up out of Sleep Mode hope this helps

mjrgnsn

Reaction score
sleep mode function...

Thanks! Holding down the button for 5 seconds worked!

JonDroid3

Reaction score
ha i never use sleep mode but i just tried it and its frozen . i did try it when it first came out and it was slow to wake but now nothin lol...its not sleep mode its in hibernation mode lol...battery pull and in airplane mode i think we have a bug

This is definitely a bug. My wife and I both have Droid 3s and she's been complaining about this for the past few weeks. Our phones are configured the same (I'm the phone tech in the family) but I figured out that she puts her phone in sleep mode while I just give the power button a quick tap to shut it off. I just did the sleep mode experient on my phone and, sure enough, it's not asleep, more like in a coma. The only thing that works is to pop the battery or plug in the charger. I suspect there may be a hardware component operating here since I've seen posts saying that pressing the power button for 5 seconds works. It definitely does not work for either of our phones, AND... my wife's phone had to be replaced the first week she had it due to a defective power button. Maybe we have a multi-variable problem here.

Wwefan602

Reaction score
HELP! I ENTERED SLEEP MODE THEN I CONNECTED IT TO THE CHARGER THEN IT TURNED ON NOW WHEN I TURN ON MY DROID 3 it's just a Black screen i can't do anything I. Tried removing the battery it still docent work help

JonDroid3

Reaction score
HELP! I ENTERED SLEEP MODE THEN I CONNECTED IT TO THE CHARGER THEN IT TURNED ON NOW WHEN I TURN ON MY DROID 3 it's just a Black screen i can't do anything I. Tried removing the battery it still docent work help

The first thing I would do is unplug the charger and then plug it in again and try to turn the phone on. If that doesn't work, and if the phone is still under warrantee, you have two options: 1) Go to the store where you bought it and see if they can replace the phone, or 2) Call the Motorola warrantee replacement number 1-866-406-5154 (the number is on the sticker attached to the USB charger cable that came with your phone). When my wife's original Droid 3 had the same problem that you are reporting the people at our local Verizon store gave her a hard time, so I called the Motorola number (see option #2 above) and they shipped a replacement to us that arrived the next day.

Good luck, and keep us all posted on your progress.

Jon