Droid 3 with 4g in Canada

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's a different kind of 4G.

The 4G with the Canadian phone is the same 4G currently being pushed by T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA+...or 3G+ as some people call it), which is just an extension of 3G for GSM. The radio and the hardware required for it really isn't all that different than a normal 3G GSM radio, so there's no redesign of the phone needed to add it in. It's pretty much the same GSM radio as 3G with support for the higher bandwidth. LTE, the type of 4G that Verizon uses, is a completely different beast. The phone would have to be redesigned and would have to be thicker to accommodate the current LTE radios.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
hspa+ is not the same as LTE. hspa+ is still technically 3G, though advertisers will tell you differently....and its been around (and in canada as well) for quite some time.

the droid 3 has a 'global' radio if Im not mistaken, meaning it can use hspa+ as well. From what I infer these are the same phone, you just cant use wcdma/gsm with the "real" droid 3 on verizon's network.

/edited for clarity

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Relax, like others have said, it's a different kind of 4G. Nothing to write home about. I'm not upset at all.

OP
P

phonixzero

Reaction score
Great replys! Thanks guys. Makes sense.
I am a software kind of guy so all this stuff about radios gets me confused!

Still in love with my Droid 3 so its all good