Droid 3 Virtual Keyboard Issue (random characters)

DroidMW

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced issues with the virtual keyboard involving hitting one letter or key and then having multiple random characters appear and resulting in the entry of completely incoherent words?

I've tried turning off the word suggestion tool in the settings but the problem persisted. I am also not using the Swype function. I've had my phone for less than a week and have experienced this problem daily. I also had the phone restored yesterday due to another unrelated software issue and this keyboard problem has not gone away.

Anyone know of any fixes? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Yea its happened to me.
Even though I rarely use the virtual keyboard, its annoying.

jonamurphy

Reaction score
Hopefully this is one of the glitches they will fix with the upcoming update.

cat714

Reaction score
random letters when texting

My phone is constantly typing random characters, not spacing or suddenly rapidly spacing forward or backward on its own when texting. I went to the Verizon store and they recommended I go to Manage Apps, select All, go to Multi-touch keyboard and hit Clear data. It fixed the problem at the store but after a day it started happening again, even after trying this fix again. A co-worker and I got Droid 3's on the same day and he has not experienced this problem.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the virtual keyboard involving hitting one letter or key and then having multiple random characters appear and resulting in the entry of completely incoherent words?

I've tried turning off the word suggestion tool in the settings but the problem persisted. I am also not using the Swype function. I've had my phone for less than a week and have experienced this problem daily. I also had the phone restored yesterday due to another unrelated software issue and this keyboard problem has not gone away.

Anyone know of any fixes? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

OP
D

DroidMW

Reaction score
I'm having my phone replaced with another Droid 3 this week. I'll post an update if the issue continues on the new phone.

jpblock82

Reaction score
Strange as it may seem, these issues for me stopped after I sbf'ed my D3. I keep hearing this is fixed for sure too with the update..

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

nu2droid

Reaction score
This maybe a stupid question, but... is your screen clean?

I remember folks on the D1 having similar issues (myself included) and a lot of it was that simple.

mikedyk43

Reaction score
I am having these issues, but with the physical keyboard. Does anyone know if this is addressed with the update?

jpblock82

Reaction score
Yes, it is. Like day and night!

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Excellent, looks like I will be restoring a lot of frozen apps and updating!