Droid 3 questions

scott craft

Reaction score
I played with a droid 3 in the verizon store today for a while and I've got some questions. I went to a site to online and watched some videos to check out the quality and they were choppy. The phone was on wifi, so I'm curious if that is normal or something wrong with the phone I was using? From what I gather from reading on here the sd card is not for storage of apps, but is for music and videos and such. Is that accurate? Overall I was impressed with the phone, but I want to make sure I like it a lot before I lay down the cash.

I noticed how the videos were choppy as well, Scott. I was also a bit scare of that too. But when you get the phone that's definitely not the case. When I first picked up the phone it was running great right from the get-go, nice and smooth transitioning and scrolling, fast reactions, etc. Blur is pretty nice. But, I went with Go Launcher and it runs even better yet! It's pretty much flawless for me.

I'd say go for it based off of my experiences and from what other people are saying about the phone.

Those phones also have some VZW demo app on them which bogs them down.

The on phone memory is so huge that it probably be a long time before you would ever want to move an app to the SD card. So I'll be filling the media card up with media, and the phone up with apps, just as God* intended.

*(not meant to start a crazy debate or eye poking contest about God)

I noticed how the videos were choppy as well, Scott. I was also a bit scare of that too. But when you get the phone that's definitely not the case. When I first picked up the phone it was running great right from the get-go, nice and smooth transitioning and scrolling, fast reactions, etc. Blur is pretty nice. But, I went with Go Launcher and it runs even better yet! It's pretty much flawless for me.
That's good to know. I was concerned because I played the same video on one of the iphones there and it played it smooth. Everything else was pretty smooth.

The on phone memory is so huge that it probably be a long time before you would ever want to move an app to the SD card. So I'll be filling the media card up with media, and the phone up with apps, just as God* intended.

/QUOTE]
That's how I would do it too, just wanted to make sure that's how it would work.

I know it's a bit sacrilegious around here, but I've been really considering the next iphone. I'm tired of having a phone that is laggy. My droid was never iphone smooth, even rooted. I've played with all the top of the line android phones at Verizon and the closest I've found to the iphone so far is the droid 3. I even checked out the htc trophy (windows 7) and it's smoother than the android phones. The droid 3 might save me yet though. I'm going to go back in and play with it some more, maybe later this week.

I know it's a bit sacrilegious around here, but I've been really considering the next iphone. I'm tired of having a phone that is laggy. My droid was never iphone smooth, even rooted. I've played with all the top of the line android phones at Verizon and the closest I've found to the iphone so far is the droid 3. I even checked out the htc trophy (windows 7) and it's smoother than the android phones. The droid 3 might save me yet though. I'm going to go back in and play with it some more, maybe later this week.

What's laggy exactly? Have you tried a home/launcher replacement? It runs in place of the stock one and they're the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I use Go Launcher EX, free from the market.

And on the iPhone note, go for it if you want but I could never. iTunes is ridiculous. And the thought of the iPhone browser preventing me from long-pressing a link in the browser to download a file is sickening. Small screen, can't replace battery, proprietary (expensive) hardware, bad at drop testing (from waist high), dropping calls...the list of negatives is crazy long. I wouldn't go from Android to iPhone, even a jailbroken one.

only 2gb of the 16gb are allocated for apps, the rest of the internal memory can be used for moving apps to sd (in this case sd is the rest of the internal memory) and other storage uses.

What's laggy exactly? Have you tried a home/launcher replacement? It runs in place of the stock one and they're the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I use Go Launcher EX, free from the market.

And on the iPhone note, go for it if you want but I could never. iTunes is ridiculous. And the thought of the iPhone browser preventing me from long-pressing a link in the browser to download a file is sickening. Small screen, can't replace battery, proprietary (expensive) hardware, bad at drop testing (from waist high), dropping calls...the list of negatives is crazy long. I wouldn't go from Android to iPhone, even a jailbroken one.
I too was thinking about going to the new iPhone after my D1 contract was up.. because yes, even while rooted and using a different launcher(which did help a lot), it was laggy. And me being picky I hate stuff like that. Even though I can do more than a jailbroken iPhone on a stock DROID, that lag was annoying me. It wasn't even a horrible lag always, but still. Sometimes I'd show friends with iPhone's something on my DROID and the app or going back to the home screen would take forever to load. It was embarrassing.

Then, I got the Droid 3.. and OH BOY does run HELL of a lot better. I can't believe I EVER thought of getting an iPhone. Lmao, ah man.. I'd be missing out on so much.

Agree with everything you said NoBloatWare. Just too many things you can't do with an iPhone and too many things I can complain about with Apple's phones.

only 2gb of the 16gb are allocated for apps, the rest of the internal memory can be used for moving apps to sd (in this case sd is the rest of the internal memory) and other storage uses.

Ooops.... Yeah, what Pyro said.

But still, compared to my OG Droid even before I tap into any memory for moving apps I'm way ahead.

I too was thinking about going to the new iPhone after my D1 contract was up.. because yes, even while rooted and using a different launcher(which did help a lot), it was laggy. And me being picky I hate stuff like that. Even though I can do more than a jailbroken iPhone on a stock DROID, that lag was annoying me. It wasn't even a horrible lag always, but still. Sometimes I'd show friends with iPhone's something on my DROID and the app or going back to the home screen would take forever to load. It was embarrassing.

Then, I got the Droid 3.. and OH BOY does run HELL of a lot better. I can't believe I EVER thought of getting an iPhone. Lmao, ah man.. I'd be missing out on so much.

Agree with everything you said NoBloatWare. Just too many things you can't do with an iPhone and too many things I can complain about with Apple's phones.

Benland, you have got to stop stealing my thoughts. I'm going to have to go put a tin foil hershey's hat on... ala the movie "Signs".
My Droid 1 was overloaded, wanted to show it off, not proud of the lag, considered the iPhone cuz my wife loved hers.

I am so glad I got the Droid 3 instead.

I've used several different launchers. Currently using go launcher ex. That seems to work best with my phone being stock. The best I ever had my phone running was with a project elite rom and a 1.1 gig kernal. It was fairly smooth and had minimal homescreen redraws. Somewhere along the way it went south and I got tired of reflashing the rom. I got my wife the iphone specifically due to the problems I was having with my phone. I don't think I will go wrong whether I get the droid 3 or an iphone. They both do all I need.

As was said previously, two gigs for apps is plenty. I hate putting new apps on my phone due to the limited storage space on the phone currently. Thanks for all the insight on the droid 3. That is a really hot phone.

Ooops.... Yeah, what Pyro said.

But still, compared to my OG Droid even before I tap into any memory for moving apps I'm way ahead.

I have 215 apps installed at 1.3gb with 730mb free. If you uninstall the Golf and Nova demos, about 280mb is freed up.

Benland, you have got to stop stealing my thoughts. I'm going to have to go put a tin foil hershey's hat on... ala the movie "Signs".
My Droid 1 was overloaded, wanted to show it off, not proud of the lag, considered the iPhone cuz my wife loved hers.

I am so glad I got the Droid 3 instead.
Haha, my bad! Us living in the same state makes my mind reading all the more easier. I just had to get the first post.

Back